• ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Wow.

1. They keep their shotguns with a round in the chamber!? And with the safety off?

2. I wonder if this was in their new SUVs? Different routine can cause things like this. Well that and having a round chambered and the safety off and not paying attention.

3. Who knows what the guy at BOTW actually told the reporters but its bad info for people to hear "you can see the bright follower...only way for it to go off is to pull the trigger with your finger"

4. I wonder how many concealed carriers in Austin have had AD/ND in public?

5. I bet that was loud and thank God no one got hurt.

SMH @APD

Maybe they need to go with the Barney Fife bullet in the pocket technique?0

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Wow.

1. They keep their shotguns with a round in the chamber!? And with the safety off?

2. I wonder if this was in their new SUVs? Different routine can cause things like this. Well that and having a round chambered and the safety off and not paying attention.

3. Who knows what the guy at BOTW actually told the reporters but its bad info for people to hear "you can see the bright follower...only way for it to go off is to pull the trigger with your finger"

4. I wonder how many concealed carriers in Austin have had AD/ND in public?

5. I bet that was loud and thank God no one got hurt.

SMH @APD

Maybe they need to go with the Barney Fife bullet in the pocket technique?0

Yup, this is almost like saying "if you don't have a mag in it, it's a good indication that it's not loaded".

Bad advise, but as you said, the paper could very well have left things out.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Or the LEO's could have left things out....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Nothing I said was in reference to the LEOs, just the assertion that if you can see a follower, the shotgun isn't loaded.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    You know what. In the interest of public safety im going to contact the author of this news article and ask them to ad some disclaimer or warning. If they go full libtard dont blame me

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    What do they want, the officers to carry unloaded weapons?

I don't know what new SUV the APD is getting, I suspect it's the Ford Interceptor similar to what the SAPD have. I can tell you that the equipment being put in them is cannibalized from old patrol vehicles, not new so the set-up while slightly different due to the vehicle should still be close enough that the same procedures are used.

Most likely they simply brain-farted and didn't keep their fingers off the trigger when loading them into the rack. If the results were a one-day suspension and a disciplinary memo, then they got off cheap!

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    I'm now in my 51st year of a military and civilian firearms handling career which has encompassed virtually every one of the shooting sports from Metallic Silhouette to Trap and Skeet to I.P.S.C. and just about every type of firearm known to Man. Never had an A.D. Are our modern LEO truly so clueless about firearms?

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm now in my 51st year of a military and civilian firearms handling career which has encompassed virtually every one of the shooting sports from Metallic Silhouette to Trap and Skeet to I.P.S.C. and just about every type of firearm known to Man. Never had an A.D. Are our modern LEO truly so clueless about firearms?

Many...yes.

Many military members too. Hence all those clearing barrels.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Many...yes.

Many military members too. Hence all those clearing barrels.

What are you basing this claim on? In my 25 years in the military, I never witnessed a single AD/ND nor have I with the PD I volunteer with.

Considering how these professions require so much handling of firearms, I would say that the AD/ND rate is actually lower than average.

Not that any AD/NDs should be acceptable, but I don't agree with your implication that this is a common occurrence.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Firearms instructor, 29 years LE. Today's officers are NOT "gun people" for the most part. Many, if not most, have never fired a gun until they get to the Academy. In the "good old days", people got into LE partially because they liked guns and wanted to be around them. They had been shooting/hunting for MANY years and basic gun safety was already instilled.

APD has had many officers who "check" the shotgun by pressing the trigger. I work for another major LE agency in the same area and I can go on for days about officers loading both shotguns and handguns BACKWARDS (ala HK advertisment). Those of us who are very skilled at firearms manipulation have a hard time grasping the lack of skill some "professionals" exhibit.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    What are you basing this claim on? In my 25 years in the military

Just because you never witnessed it doesnt mean it doesnt happen. Most APD officers were not in the car where the shotgun ahem..."went off".

As far as mil. Thats my point. Its an environment of extreme control. Rods down barrel when coming off range. Clearing barrels outside buildings and so on.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    What are you basing this claim on? In my 25 years in the military, I never witnessed a single AD/ND nor have I with the PD I volunteer with.

Considering how these professions require so much handling of firearms, I would say that the AD/ND rate is actually lower than average.

Not that any AD/NDs should be acceptable, but I don't agree with your implication that this is a common occurrence.

In my time I saw quite a few ND/ADs in the military, mostly during deployment when gun and ammo were not in the normal uber controlled range environment.

Even with the rule that you clear all weapons by racking 3 times then visually and physically checking the chamber before squeezing the trigger in the clearing barrel there was a lot of green tipped copper in the sand. Probably about once a week outside the chow hall.

Out motor pool was closest to the gate and I was 63B so we saw a lot if guys who came through needing miscellaneous repairs. Had several come through needing some type of repair due to friendly fire NDs while clearing to come on the base.

Had a guy in our unit who had a bad habit of keeping his 249 pointed at one of our heads, we divided to rectify that in a very memorable way after exceedingly stern warnings.

A couple of guys I deployed with came in to visit and we decided to do some shooting at the house. One had decided to become a career soldier, he began loading 9mm in to a .40 cal magazine backwards. Turns out he had never handled a handgun so we have him some training on the spot. Don't guess I can fault him for that except that he didn't speak up about what he didn't know.

Point being, I have seen a LOT of bad weapons handling in the military, more so than outside. I don't say this to bring down the military in any way, just I point out that there are many soldiers who know very little about firearms safety. Maybe it was different in the past and I'm sure it varies by unit and MOS.

I also know the LEO are people. There safety will vary by experience and attitude. Those raise around firearms and taught safety from a young age will generally be much more responsible in the handling than those who shot their first gun at the academy. Same as in the military I suppose. It's a sad fact that funds just don't allow departments to give as much training as it really takes to remain truly proficient.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park

I can almost guarantee Eric went much more in depth with KXAN than they told in the article. He knows his stuff and is a very safety conscientious RSO.

It would be interesting to know what kind of shotguns they were using though and whether they had free floating firing pins as there is a chance on a bumpy road (albeit incredibly small) to have a discharge with a chambered round. Still according to the wording of the article it sounds like at least the female officer had her booger hook on the bang switch with a loaded firearm as it was "while she was getting ready for duty". I assume the assertion that she fired it while putting in the shotgun rack is probably true. Do they tend to put those things in muzzle down or muzzle up?

Last edited:

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Firearms instructor, 29 years LE. Today's officers are NOT "gun people" for the most part. Many, if not most, have never fired a gun until they get to the Academy. In the "good old days", people got into LE partially because they liked guns and wanted to be around them. They had been shooting/hunting for MANY years and basic gun safety was already instilled.

APD has had many officers who "check" the shotgun by pressing the trigger. I work for another major LE agency in the same area and I can go on for days about officers loading both shotguns and handguns BACKWARDS (ala HK advertisment). Those of us who are very skilled at firearms manipulation have a hard time grasping the lack of skill some "professionals" exhibit.

I would love to hear some of the best of these stories.

Top Bottom