• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    So is anyone else having a huge attack of aphids? Last year I got some ladybugs and they did a really good job, even came back when the aphids did. I can't seem to find the anywhere this year. Anyone know where to look? Thanks.
    Target Sports

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    So is anyone else having a huge attack of aphids? Last year I got some ladybugs and they did a really good job, even came back when the aphids did. I can't seem to find the anywhere this year. Anyone know where to look? Thanks.

not yet but we get them every year. thanks the the heads up, seems a little early as nothing is blooming yet in our back yard but I'll keep an eye out.. lady bugs never worked for me. they always took off for cooler pastures (brushy creek) vs my xera scape. Soapy water has always worked for us, apply in bulk using suitably sized sprayer.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Have you looked into other solutions (hose blasting, soap water trick?. Google for the zpecifics on soapy water. You can do this til you get the ladies. Have you checked the Natural Gardener for the Lady Bugs?

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Yes, I checked Natural Gardener. They will have them eventually. I just had some time to kill today. I'm picking up a friend at the airport and had nothing to do in between. I blasted them pretty good with the hose. I used to use a solution of Hydrogen Peroxide and water to take care of spider mites. I'll try some stuff. It's funny though my dogs ate a lot of the broccoli tops where most of the aphids were so it is kind of taken care of. There are still a few around but thats where most of them were.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Until you can rebuild a healthy crop of Ladybugs (most of mine died in this cold winter), try a solution of sea weed. Sometimes a simple dish soap solution helps to control leaf eating bugs.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Wait... are you looking for Lady Bugs or Aphids? :)- I'm confused.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    Haha. Ok to be clear, I am not farming aphids. Trying to get rid of them. Well anyway, was trying. Soap and water seemed to work. Or maybe they just because it was a little cold last night?

probably both. IMO the soapy water works best in cool temps as the water doesn't evaporate right away like it does on hot sunny days. Gives the solution more time to kill aphids. There's probably an ideal temp and humidity for this to work, not sure if it's the soap alone, or the drying effect the soap and evaporating water that kills them. multiple applications may be necessary ~ and after it looks like the critters are dead (most of em anyways) i usually wash the plants off best possible with clear water.

Last edited:

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Something else I just came across in my search for organic pest control - Diatamateous Earth (not 100% sure on the spelling). This is a white powdery substance that you spread along the base. There are tiny Silicon Dioxide edges that supposedly slice the exoskeletons of the little buggers and it kills them. Do some of your own reading though - I'm just spewing out some stuff I read from people who know more than I do. There is food grade and non-food grade. I'd get the food grade stuff. Home Depot has some from a company called Safer brand. Their website indicates it's the same as food grade, but they don't say it on the package - my thinking is that if they had the food grade stuff, they'd say it.

Good luck.

dvmpiper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Terrell, Tx
    It scratches their exoskeleton and they literally dry out. Insects have a waxy coating that keep moisture in. Those tiny prehistoric shells in DE scratch them so much, the coating can't be replaced fast enough and the insects dessicate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom