Apparently CNN thinks we are criminals.

Discussion in 'News Articles' started by phatcyclist, Nov 12, 2008.

1. phatcyclist

phatcyclist Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I had this link emailed to me by a friend, I find it offensive that we as firearms owners are put into the same category as rapists and murderers. Not U.S. news, not politics, but in their crime section.

Gun sales surge after Obama's election - CNN.com

I'd post the story here, but it isn't worth my time.

2. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    You own a gun? You MUST be a criminal. Nevermind the fact that statistics show less than 1% of lawfully owned firearms are involved in crimes. This is a case of the media believing their own lies.

3. iratollah

iratollah Active Member

May 25, 2008
    What was in the article that inspired you to choose the thread title?

ETA, I see it was the section they choose to place the article in. Hmmm, maybe it's for folks concerned with protecting themselves against crime?

4. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas

Could give them the benefit of the doubt about that. But we're all familiar with CNNs leanings so any doubt is out the window.

5. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    We gun owners will bitch about anything, won't we. There was nothing in the article negative about gun owners. I don't see its placement as a slam either.

I guess people can find offense wherever they look for it. As for me, I'll get worked up over things that matter.

Have a geat day!

6. DoubleActionCHL

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    I see the placement as a slam. Since when does the lawful purchase of handguns in apparent response to a presidential election qualify as a crime story? This, in my opinion, is the media's not-so-subtle correlation of gun ownership with criminals.

7. tallmike

tallmike New Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Kyle
    :texas:

Exactly!!

8. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    There isn't anything wrong with noticing. Its a bit hard to miss though when your group is constantly pounded and degraded. You notice things like that more often. I hate to throw the race card in here but I'm acutely aware of when I'm in a situation where I am being discriminated against. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it rings real loud and real clear. And it isn't right, no matter how small or overt the gesture is.

Anyway, guns = criminals is the exact wrong message. It works against everything we do as law abiding gun owners trying to educate those around us.

9. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I started to reply to some of the comments, but what's the use. There will always be a segment of every group that will isolate themselves as victims. :texas: After all, it works for racism. :p

If you have a problem or question for CNN, why not ask them?

CNN.com - Contact Us

10. DoubleActionCHL

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    And since when is noticing media bias defined as victimhood? And thank you, but I've already contacted CNN.