• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    I had this link emailed to me by a friend, I find it offensive that we as firearms owners are put into the same category as rapists and murderers. Not U.S. news, not politics, but in their crime section.

Gun sales surge after Obama's election - CNN.com

I'd post the story here, but it isn't worth my time.

You own a gun? You MUST be a criminal. Nevermind the fact that statistics show less than 1% of lawfully owned firearms are involved in crimes. This is a case of the media believing their own lies.

iratollah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2008
    What was in the article that inspired you to choose the thread title?

ETA, I see it was the section they choose to place the article in. Hmmm, maybe it's for folks concerned with protecting themselves against crime?

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    What was in the article that inspired you to choose the thread title?

ETA, I see it was the section they choose to place the article in. Hmmm, maybe it's for folks concerned with protecting themselves against crime?

Could give them the benefit of the doubt about that. But we're all familiar with CNNs leanings so any doubt is out the window.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    We gun owners will bitch about anything, won't we. There was nothing in the article negative about gun owners. I don't see its placement as a slam either.

I guess people can find offense wherever they look for it. As for me, I'll get worked up over things that matter.

Have a geat day!

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    We gun owners will bitch about anything, won't we. There was nothing in the article negative about gun owners. I don't see its placement as a slam either.

I guess people can find offense wherever they look for it. As for me, I'll get worked up over things that matter.

Have a geat day!

I see the placement as a slam. Since when does the lawful purchase of handguns in apparent response to a presidential election qualify as a crime story? This, in my opinion, is the media's not-so-subtle correlation of gun ownership with criminals.

tallmike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Kyle

Have a geat day!

Exactly!!

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    There isn't anything wrong with noticing. Its a bit hard to miss though when your group is constantly pounded and degraded. You notice things like that more often. I hate to throw the race card in here but I'm acutely aware of when I'm in a situation where I am being discriminated against. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it rings real loud and real clear. And it isn't right, no matter how small or overt the gesture is.

Anyway, guns = criminals is the exact wrong message. It works against everything we do as law abiding gun owners trying to educate those around us.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I started to reply to some of the comments, but what's the use. There will always be a segment of every group that will isolate themselves as victims. After all, it works for racism. :p

If you have a problem or question for CNN, why not ask them?

CNN.com - Contact Us

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    I started to reply to some of the comments, but what's the use. There will always be a segment of every group that will isolate themselves as victims. After all, it works for racism. :p

CNN.com - Contact Us

And since when is noticing media bias defined as victimhood? And thank you, but I've already contacted CNN.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Maybe victim is the wrong word. But people sometimes tend to be really quick to jump and holler that everyone is against and out to get them.

If a tree falls in the woods, it doesn't matter how loud it is, if no one is listening to it.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Maybe victim is the wrong word. But people sometimes tend to be really quick to jump and holler that everyone is against and out to get them.

If a tree falls in the woods, it doesn't matter how loud it is, if no one is listening to it.

And if the media labels all gun owners "criminals" and we don't speak up, the general public accepts it as fact.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas

CNN.com - Contact Us

Yup - write 'em! I've been doing a lot of those, at least, trying to be more active in telling media folk what I think. Afterall, if they never recieve any opposition or grumbling, they may just think they can print what they want and it's the way things will be.
    And if the media labels all gun owners "criminals" and we don't speak up, the general public accepts it as fact.

Exactamundo!

I'm taking it to heart to do something early and often. The elections may be over and some folks may go back to the regularly scheduled program. But I think I'm going to stay in the front yard for a whole and keep scaring the kids off my lawn.

As for the race card, I'm begining to see if I can take the same angle about for firearms the way that civil rights were taken. I need to do more research though. The thing that gave me that idea was this recent case of using the 14th amendment (and Incorporation) to secure 2A rights.

If no one will respect the 2A, then its time to start looking at landmark civil rights cases and applying those. It isn't a flawless angle, but its another angle worth exploring.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX

If it were posted in the politics section, I think it would be a non-issue. The fact is that plenty of people read CNN.com, and when they go in to the crime section, they expect to hear about a serial slasher or a rapist on the loose. Being clumped in with those people is a real blow to our cause.

We're all entitled to our opinions, but I think this was a deliberate jab at us as a group. As stated earlier, CNN has a history of anti-gun bias so it's not a stretch to believe that's what they are doing here.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom