TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Thanks.
    It should work out fine.
    My TDL expires in 2022, my TLC expires 2023.
    I reckon I'll get my gold star then.
    Capitol Armory ad

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I'm not 100% sure this is how it's supposed to work, but last time I renewed my DL they had started to offer the Veteran designation on the license. I brought my DD214 in for renewal and got a license with a gold star and the word veteran under it. For the first year I assumed the gold star was the veteran designation since no one else had it on their license.

I guess they accepted my DD214 in lieu of a birth certificate.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Nope. I tried that. The requirement to prove citizenship for a DL just began in April of this year.

Are you sure? Maybe the birth certificate thing started this year, but I've already got my gold star. Have had it for a few years now.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Are you sure? Maybe the birth certificate thing started this year, but I've already got my gold star. Have had it for a few years now.
    DPS has been issuing the REAL ID licenses with the gold star since October 2016. The clerk told me that the requirement for BC or passport has only been in effect since April of this year.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    I reckon I'll get my gold star then.
    Here. No need to wait.

gold star.jpg

Attachments

• gold star.jpg
      gold star.jpg
      6.1 KB · Views: 475

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    So if I already have the Gold Star do I still need my Birth Certificate when I renew my license?
    That is a very good question that I don't have an answer for. It would be worth while to take it with you just in case. Could save a return trip to the DPS. The renewal notice you receive should say what to bring. My notice did say to bring proof of citizenship, but I ignored it, lol. Hell, I been here 71 years, don't need no stinkin' proof of citizenship. Ended up having to make a second trip. That time I took everything I could think of they might ask for; SSN card, proof of insurance, BC, water bill, DD214, military ID. But they only asked for the BC and the DD214 for the vet designation.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Last edited:

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    So if I already have the Gold Star do I still need my Birth Certificate when I renew my license?

It’s my understanding once you have a new Tx DL with the hologram star that is your official ID and we shouldn’t need a birth certificate? I know it was over 4 hours of standing and waiting my turn just to renew my DL in Sherman. It’s just nuts. Not enough room for all the folks there. DPS could use an upgrade in operations. There’re overwhelmed

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    It’s my understanding once you have a new Tx DL with the hologram star that is your official ID and we shouldn’t need a birth certificate? I know it was over 4 hours of standing and waiting my turn just to renew my DL in Sherman. It’s just nuts. Not enough room for all the folks there. DPS could use an upgrade in operations. There’re overwhelmed
    Just curious....how long ago did you renew your license? Did you not have to show a BC? If the state is issuing a license with a gold star without proof of citizenship, seems like that defeats the whole purpose of the REAL ID system. Maybe some of the younger folks presented a BC when they got their first Texas DL. You won't have to show it every time you renew tho. Once you've been verified, you're good.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    If you do not have the star in the gold circle in the upper right hand corner of your current DL, you will need to provide proof of citizenship with either a certified copy of your birth certificate (not the cute little one from the hospital with your tiny foot prints on it) or a valid passport. You can order a copy of your BC online for $22, but do it early. it takes 4-6 weeks to get it.

Beware, there are some websites that charge up to $75 for this service and claim to get it to you faster.
    Here is the official site: https://txapps.texas.gov/tolapp/ovra/index.htm
    Two years ago, I was told I needed a certified BC for Social Security. I ordered that $22 BC online expecting a long wait; two days later I got a call from a guy asking for directions to my house. I wasn't home that day, so they dropped it at the General Store. One of those strange and inexplicable experiences... Then, Social Security didn't even want to see it; at least now I'll have it for this next year.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Just curious....how long ago did you renew your license? Did you not have to show a BC? If the state is issuing a license with a gold star without proof of citizenship, seems like that defeats the whole purpose of the REAL ID system. Maybe some of the younger folks presented a BC when they got their first Texas DL. You won't have to show it every time you renew tho. Once you've been verified, you're good.

It’s 6 years before it expires. I did not have to show my BC so I don’t know what that criteria is? He asked a few questions of which I don’t remember what he asked and I had to take the eye test. That made me nervous until I took it. All I can say is if you can’t read the line I was asked to read your eye sight is not too good. I was so proud passing that part I had a swagger when I left. I know my eye sight makes it difficult to be accurate shooting at a target but it’s still good for driving.

Hboy35

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2017
    College Station
    I renewed my DL a few weeks ago. 51 years old and driving since 16, but had to show up with SS card, old DL, and birth certificate. Took eye test too. My new license I just received has the gold star.

Top Bottom