• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • heavygunner8

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2016
    Houston
    I noticed while applying for my CHL that it asks for all arrest records regardless of how much time has passed. I was arrested 10 years ago a few days after my 18th birthday over something really minor (Criminal Trespassing). I was never convicted of any crime, the judge dismissed my case.

I don't even know where to obtain all of these arrest records, and I bet it will take forever for the government to get them to me even if I knew where to get it from. Has anyone been arrested when they're really young, has it affected you obtaining your CHL?
    DK Firearms

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Should be pretty easy if it was in Texas. Just go to the county you were arrested in and get a copy of the case disposition.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Physically go to the courthouse in the county where the arrest took place. You want the criminal County clerk.

In some counties, felonies and misdemeanors are in different clerks offices. In others they are combined. Just ask around when you get there and someone will help you.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I went to the county clerk, they sent me to the correct person, told her what year, filled out a request form, $10 and gone. Took about 5 minutes.

from an idgit coffeeholic

flashgor_99

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2015
    Don't recall being asked about arrests, only convictions. I spent a night in jail for being a bit over joyous at the end of my first semester of college (the real crime was drinking cheap ass beer). That did pop up when looking for a teaching job a few years ago, but caused no problem with my CHL or buying guns. Be honest, but it's not going to cause you any problems.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Don't recall being asked about arrests, only convictions. I spent a night in jail for being a bit over joyous at the end of my first semester of college (the real crime was drinking cheap ass beer). That did pop up when looking for a teaching job a few years ago, but caused no problem with my CHL or buying guns. Be honest, but it's not going to cause you any problems.

An applicant for a LTC must list all arrests as per the application. Failure to disclose can result in a denial of the license.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/InternetForms/Forms/CHL-78A.pdf

ltc%20app_zpstt5ip25c.jpg

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    I had a misdemeanor in 89. It took a few months for me to finally recieve my chl. It probably didn't help that it was a small, out of state court. The only court document they had on file was a court docket with hand written notes for my $150 fine.

Roland

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2017
    Grand Prairie, Tx
    When ask for prior arrests i told them I robed a bank in California 60 years ago. They checked and records didn't go back that far. I got my CCL because of a clean record. That damned sheriff never wouldn't have caught me if I had had a faster horse.

Roland

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2017
    Grand Prairie, Tx
    When asked for prior arrests I told them I robed a bank in California 6o years ago. They checked but there were no records that old. I got my CCL because of a clean record. That damned sheriff never would have caught me if I had stolen a faster horse.

BillRedding

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2017
    Colorado Springs, CO
    To the OP:

I also had an "incident" (a LONG time ago) in my past but wasn't asked for any arrest records, just to TELL them about it. So all I did was give them whatever info I had on the event (which was almost nothing as it was so long ago I couldn't remember any details).

Really though, it's THEIR job to look up the details, all we do is point them in the right direction and not WITHOLD any info as the form said to DECLARE any such records/incidents, that's all. Failure to reveal such info (if discovered) would likely result in being denied one's permit, so you pretty much HAD to tell them everything, even if it was a LONG time ago -- mine sure was: 1968 (and they weren't any "misdemeanors," either)!

So I told the DPS about said incident and it was up to them to look them up...and they did BOTH times I applied for a CC permit here in TX (2010 and 2016) and BOTH times I got the permit regardless.

Good luck,

-- BR

Top Bottom