• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    If nothing else, for your peace of mind you may want to replace the charging handle.
    Venture Surplus ad

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Seeing the clearance issue with the charging handle, I would've first replaced it. They're not all made equal. It looks like it's not letting the bolt go 100% into battery. I would've also checked that your firing pin protrusion is in spec. I believe it's .020-.028" for an LR308 pattern. If it's on the short side, you could just chuck it up in a drill and run some sandpaper on the shoulder. On the trigger group, the springs are probably fine, but the hammer itself may be hitting the lower and/or mag catch, instead of delivering the full blow to the firing pin.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    I don't have an answer for you but what you are experiencing is not new by a long shot. Frankenstiening an AR10 will always run into multiple problems. The tolerance and design is different for each and every 308/DPMS type rifle. Simply buying a part that claims to be (the trademarked ARmalite name AR-10) and bolting them all up will never work.

I did not read through all of the parts and problems so take my suggestion for what it is worth. I have read through these type threads for 15 years and the only way I have seen these work is when you buy the Lower and Upper and FCG from the same manufacture. Then each and every time! you buy a part from a different manufacture ask them if it will work in other rifles. You'll be surprised how helpful these companies can be and if they are not that is a red flag screaming not to buy their parts.

In the end I am a bigger fan of buying a complete rifle to then making changes and designing it the way you want it from there.

Good luck with your build and I hope you get it figured out.

TomVandyMurphyTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2015
    Murphy, TX
    You evidently have had some case jams to mess up the handle like that (me too), the handle has small wings (which may be bent) that ride in a channel, obviously jumped out of the channel. Get a two stage chamber brush to clean out junk from the chamber that will cause fail to lock up. So do you have a case gauge to check the cases? And set your FL die?

I have neither :( I may have to get some eventually and definitely if I start reloading.

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Glad you got the problem fixed. And agree buying a complete AR10 is a good idea since nothing is standardized like a AR15 pattern rifle.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    If you've just shot factory ammo, it's a head space problem - which may have been caused by the gunk in the receiver tube. How did you check H.S.? With feeler gauge, cartridge gauge and fired casing, you can check H.S. or get the go/no-go tool. If you torqued, loosened & torqued a couple time the 'sliver' shouldn't have made any difference, I doubt the seating surface is flat & square to a couple thousandths, it doesn't set H.S. anyway - bolt and extension set that.
    I have timney triggers in mine, no problem.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GURUNANDA9
    Top Bottom