• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKM47

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 26, 2018
    Tx
    I have a friend who wants to trade his AR 15 (RD-15) with ammo and mags for a AR-10

He watched a movie about a sniper in the war in Chechnya and wants something in 308 semi-auto he can hunt with, but with a backup use

It's a high end custom rifle that has been fired and wants to know what the mid to low end AR-10's are

I'm going to handle everything (info, shipping, etc), but he going to do the transfer at the FFL, if he does trade the rifle and gets a AR-10

I told him DPMS makes a good AR-10, but he wants to look around .... any ideas
    ARJ Defense ad

AKM47

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 26, 2018
    Tx
    I'm guessing the Diamondback is a mid end/range AR

Remember he wants to trade and will only look at ad's with rifles that are mid to low, he just needs to know which rifles (brands) to look for/at

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I have a DB10 and it's functioned flawlessly through multiple ammo types and brands. Accuracy is just a bit over 1 moa. Before hunting season I had a few reloads and Hornady black grouping 1.25-1.5 moa thru 5 shots.

The version I bought has a CMC trigger and SS 18" barrel. It was right at a grand. I have heard good things about the DPMS offering but I know the Oracle series were under $800 not long ago and I wouldn't pay more than that for one.

When I started looking around I really wanted an armalite. I even talked a buddy into buying one for $1450. His is a more accurate rifle but has a featureless barrel and the older gen proprietary magazines. Since I've only put a few hundred rounds through it I'll keep tinkering with my reloads til I get a sub moa load going. If that takes more time than I'd like I'll just re-barrel it.

Overall the diamondback is decent for the money with my only real criticism being it's fragile finish which is already showing a few chips near the trigger guard in spite of babying it around on range trips.

As far as the alternatives I don't think any of them stack up. They're either heavy(cetme or fal) or not as accurate(m1a). However, there are plenty out there that would argue that.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Here's an older thread full of opinions from around the time I bought mine...

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    I have a DB10 and it's functioned flawlessly through multiple ammo types and brands. Accuracy is just a bit over 1 moa. Before hunting season I had a few reloads and Hornady black grouping 1.25-1.5 moa thru 5 shots.

The version I bought has a CMC trigger and SS 18" barrel. It was right at a grand. I have heard good things about the DPMS offering but I know the Oracle series were under $800 not long ago and I wouldn't pay more than that for one.

When I started looking around I really wanted an armalite. I even talked a buddy into buying one for $1450. His is a more accurate rifle but has a featureless barrel and the older gen proprietary magazines. Since I've only put a few hundred rounds through it I'll keep tinkering with my reloads til I get a sub moa load going. If that takes more time than I'd like I'll just re-barrel it.

Overall the diamondback is decent for the money with my only real criticism being it's fragile finish which is already showing a few chips near the trigger guard in spite of babying it around on range trips.

As far as the alternatives I don't think any of them stack up. They're either heavy(cetme or fal) or not as accurate(m1a). However, there are plenty out there that would argue that.
    Is the diamond back a dpms platform or a armalite

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    20210628_072058.jpg

AKM47

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 26, 2018
    Tx

He's researching the C308 sense it comes with a 5rd mag he can use for hunting, as for the weight he's a big ol boy at 6f 6in so no problem there

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    I got a diamond back in 300BO, so so carbine. I have DPMS with rifle and carbine upper, works great, old round forearm. About MOA @ 200 with cast 168gr. I'd trade for a henry long ranger 308 (like you can find them).

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Another negative about the cetme is the fluted chamber which increases reliability but can render brass non reloadable after firing. Not a factor for some but I reload the 308 so it's another minus for me.

AKM47

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 26, 2018
    Tx
    So his current build is a custom build? By whom? What parts? How much does he have in it?
    Here are the specs and info on the AR-15 (RD-15) Research and Design Workshop LLC

pWkNS7T.png

Lower:
    Mil-spec carbine buffer tube
    R&D Lower, Billet 6061 aluminum with Cerakote 'Dark Green' finish
    Mil-spec trigger group EXCEPT reduced force spring set, producing a 5.5 lb pull (mil-spec is 6-9)
    Lightweight 6 position adjustable stock
    Lakota ops over-molded grip

Upper:
    Mil-spec forged upper
    Aero precision BCG
    Ambidextrous charging handle
    16" 5.56mm 1-8 twist
    15" lightweight handguard
    Birdcage flash hider
    Aero precision gas block & gas tube
    Back-up polymer sights, bore-sighted for 100 yd

Upper, lower and handguard paint-matched set w/ dark Green Cerakote

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    You would have to find one on sale by an individual, but Ruger's SR762 is a fine AR10.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Here are the specs and info on the AR-15 (RD-15) Research and Design Workshop LLC

pWkNS7T.png

Lower:
    Mil-spec carbine buffer tube
    R&D Lower, Billet 6061 aluminum with Cerakote 'Dark Green' finish
    Mil-spec trigger group EXCEPT reduced force spring set, producing a 5.5 lb pull (mil-spec is 6-9)
    Lightweight 6 position adjustable stock
    Lakota ops over-molded grip

Upper:
    Mil-spec forged upper
    Aero precision BCG
    Ambidextrous charging handle
    16" 5.56mm 1-8 twist
    15" lightweight handguard
    Birdcage flash hider
    Aero precision gas block & gas tube
    Back-up polymer sights, bore-sighted for 100 yd

Upper, lower and handguard paint-matched set w/ dark Green Cerakote
    No offense to your buddy but I wouldn’t call that a “high end” build. If he had a local FFL assemble that for him he probably paid a pretty penny but I don’t see any high end parts listed. I do like the color.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom