AR-10 mounting red-dot Question?

Stag

Nov 5, 2008
Spring, TX (HoustonMetro)
Good Day All,

I have seen many a configuration of the AR-15. One that intrigues me, is the scope mounted @ 12 o'clock and the reddot (micro t1/doc reddot) on a offset 1 o'clock mount off the left or side rail.

My question - Is that offset red dot feasible with the kick of a .308? Canting an AR-10 or FAL type rifle/carbine would seem like it might push a little too much and give up some accuracy. OR would a better solution be to put the redot on a piggyback mount like a Trijicon ACOG?

Thanks for you input and answers.

Vellcrow

Aug 8, 2008
Pflugerville
A lot of it would depend on the scope and configuration of the rifle.

For me, my FAL did just great with an Aimpoint and nothing else. If I had to go with a combo (which I see no real need to do), I would probably go with the ACOG piggyback.

You could go with a 1-4X scope and use the 1x when up close and 4x when you need to zoom in.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Jul 16, 2008
Houston
One that intrigues me, is the scope mounted @ 12 o'clock and the reddot (micro t1/doc reddot) on a offset 1 o'clock mount off the left or side rail.
I have only seen this setup on competition ARs (5.56mm)...and I think that's pretty much the only time something like that would be useful.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
Jan 21, 2009
San Antonio
Had a chance to shoot my buddy's AR-10 (a DPMS) while he was breaking it in. There isn't that much recoil.

As others have said, it seems like it'd only be useful if you're planning on using this as a "race gun" for 3-gun or something like it. I wouldn't use .308 for that, since .223 would run faster for you.

SIG_Fiend

Administrator
TGT Supporter
Admin
Feb 21, 2008
Austin, TX
A lot of it would depend on the scope and configuration of the rifle.

For me, my FAL did just great with an Aimpoint and nothing else. If I had to go with a combo (which I see no real need to do), I would probably go with the ACOG piggyback.

You could go with a 1-4X scope and use the 1x when up close and 4x when you need to zoom in.

Vellcrow, just curious but what type of mount setup did you use for the FAL? Have any pics? I'm about to pick up a FAL and have considered putting optics on it, which is why I ask.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
May 29, 2017
Austin, TX
My question - Is that offset red dot feasible with the kick of a .308? Canting an AR-10 or FAL type rifle/carbine would seem like it might push a little too much and give up some accuracy. OR would a better solution be to put the redot on a piggyback mount like a Trijicon ACOG?
Get a muzzle brake. It makes .223 feel like .22 LR and .308 like .223

M. Sage

TGT Addict
Jan 21, 2009
San Antonio
Get a muzzle brake. It makes .223 feel like .22 LR and .308 like .223
+1 to the brake. I put a PWS brake on my AK and it made a huge difference.

Top Bottom