• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Spring, TX (HoustonMetro)
    Good Day All,

I have seen many a configuration of the AR-15. One that intrigues me, is the scope mounted @ 12 o'clock and the reddot (micro t1/doc reddot) on a offset 1 o'clock mount off the left or side rail.

My question - Is that offset red dot feasible with the kick of a .308? Canting an AR-10 or FAL type rifle/carbine would seem like it might push a little too much and give up some accuracy. OR would a better solution be to put the redot on a piggyback mount like a Trijicon ACOG?

Thanks for you input and answers.

Vellcrow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    A lot of it would depend on the scope and configuration of the rifle.

For me, my FAL did just great with an Aimpoint and nothing else. If I had to go with a combo (which I see no real need to do), I would probably go with the ACOG piggyback.

You could go with a 1-4X scope and use the 1x when up close and 4x when you need to zoom in.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    One that intrigues me, is the scope mounted @ 12 o'clock and the reddot (micro t1/doc reddot) on a offset 1 o'clock mount off the left or side rail.

I have only seen this setup on competition ARs (5.56mm)...and I think that's pretty much the only time something like that would be useful.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Had a chance to shoot my buddy's AR-10 (a DPMS) while he was breaking it in. There isn't that much recoil.

As others have said, it seems like it'd only be useful if you're planning on using this as a "race gun" for 3-gun or something like it. I wouldn't use .308 for that, since .223 would run faster for you.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    A lot of it would depend on the scope and configuration of the rifle.

For me, my FAL did just great with an Aimpoint and nothing else. If I had to go with a combo (which I see no real need to do), I would probably go with the ACOG piggyback.

You could go with a 1-4X scope and use the 1x when up close and 4x when you need to zoom in.

Vellcrow, just curious but what type of mount setup did you use for the FAL? Have any pics? I'm about to pick up a FAL and have considered putting optics on it, which is why I ask.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    My question - Is that offset red dot feasible with the kick of a .308? Canting an AR-10 or FAL type rifle/carbine would seem like it might push a little too much and give up some accuracy. OR would a better solution be to put the redot on a piggyback mount like a Trijicon ACOG?

Get a muzzle brake. It makes .223 feel like .22 LR and .308 like .223

Vellcrow

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Pflugerville
    Vellcrow, just curious but what type of mount setup did you use for the FAL? Have any pics? I'm about to pick up a FAL and have considered putting optics on it, which is why I ask.

Tapco receiver cover and the Aimpoint low mount ring:

18422L1A1.jpg

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I think a good question to answer first woul dbe what you intend do do with the rifle. The offset red dot is nice for gaming, but that is about the only place I have seen them used. Not many people who risk their lives on a regular basis use that kind of set up. At least none that I know of. The idea of changing grip and cheek weld... for one range vs another just doesnt make much sense to me. My vote for being able to engage targets at multiple ranges is a good variable 1-4, 1.5-8, 2.5-10 or the like. Heck IOR is intorducing a 1X/4X compact scope that is a true 1x with twist of the knob you get immediately to 4X without the whole zooming thing. Kind of like the Elcan Spectr, but in a traditional scope design.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    You can also put a 3x or 4x magnifier behind an Eotech. With one push of the button, it flips out of the way. It uses a spring to flip open, so it is very fast. You can then flip it back to use the magnifier again.

We have one on our .308 AR, it works great for hunting. Magnifier for longer shots, then flip it away for closer quarry.

p51mustang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Spring Texas
    I shoot competition rifle with a Nikon 3x9 BDC scope up top and a C-More Railway red dot mounted on a 45 degree angle. The red dot is great for close in and out to about 50 yards. The scope is for longer shots and is zeroed at 200 yards. I also have a Vanden Berg Customs muzzle brake on my AR.

JohnnyBoy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Mid-South
    Stag,
    It really just depends on what you want to use the gun primarily for. I have used both the Aimpoint and Eotech for about five years, and both shoot great out to 3-4 hundred meters- assuming you have good eyesight. I'm assuming you are talking about offsetting the red-dot beside the scope? If so it will only be truly zeroed at the distance you initially dial it in at, because it is not inline with the barrel.

Stag

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Spring, TX (HoustonMetro)
    Thanks for the replies. It was giving me great things to think about. I will probably just go with a nice scope.... But this is all moot. I dont even have the AR-10 yet. Parts are harder to find than snow in Texas.

I just aquired an AR 5.56 lower, and ordered a upper.. hopefully i will get that before a Ban takes effect.

Thanks

Top Bottom