• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrankyBuddha

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Houston, TX
    My son in law is six and a half feet tall with big ol' gorilla arms. He is interested in building an AR platform rifle but collapsible stocks even when fully extended are uncomfortably short for him. Any suggestions on longer butt stocks or any way of increasing the length of pull?
    Thanks
    -Cranky
    Capitol Armory ad

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Some of the stock makers have recoil pads that will help a little, an inch or so. If he is handy with tools he could get one of those and add spacers in between the stock and the pad and tie it all together with longer screws.

For example, MagPul makes a pretty popular adjustable stock.

Use this pad MOE ACCESSORIES - Enhanced Rubber Butt-Pad?, 0.70 to get a little length from stock. Find some solid aluminum, plastic (could even use wood) or some other suitable hard material to cut and grind down the spacer to the same profile as the stock/pad and place between the two.

If he wants a fixed stock, there are spacers made for that.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    In addition to what Acera said, here's a guide on measuring the LOP someone needs, and how to check a stock to see if it'll be the right length.

How To: Measure YOUR Length of Pull

Using that guide, I need 13.75 inches of LOP, which explains why most factory stocks seem just a hair short to me.

Also, fwiw, the longest factory stock I've found is a MagPul ACS with their enhanced butt-pad, which should come in around 15.7 inches max LOP.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    In addition to what Acera said, here's a guide on measuring the LOP someone needs, and how to check a stock to see if it'll be the right length.

How To: Measure YOUR Length of Pull

Using that guide, I need 13.75 inches of LOP, which explains why most factory stocks seem just a hair short to me.

Also, fwiw, the longest factory stock I've found is a MagPul ACS with their enhanced butt-pad, which should come in around 15.7 inches max LOP.

good bit of info, thanks for the link Blind Sniper

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Being big and tall I prefer my ARmalite AR-10 since the ergos are bigger. As for a stock I use an extended butt pad for more comfort.

Top Bottom