AR-15 in .22lr

jbwine

Dec 26, 2013
Just retired my shot gun shooting after 31yrs. Looking to get a AR-15, in .22lr so I can shoot cheaply at my two gun clubs. Want what you guys think is the best copy of my original Stag Arms 2T. Want weight, controls, accuracy, function etc. Is there should and animal? I shot a S&W but way to light, and not great accuracy. Looking for feed back, as to anyone who has shot such and AR-15.

reddog

Jul 19, 2013
I think you might want to look into price and availability of 22LR ammo. Shoot Cheaply and 22LR don't really go together anymore.

IMO if you want an AR platform I would look into one in 9mm and think about getting into reloading.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
Apr 26, 2009
Corpus Christi TX
Just retired my shot gun shooting after 31yrs. Looking to get a AR-15, in .22lr so I can shoot cheaply at my two gun clubs. Want what you guys think is the best copy of my original Stag Arms 2T. Want weight, controls, accuracy, function etc. Is there should and animal? I shot a S&W but way to light, and not great accuracy. Looking for feed back, as to anyone who has shot such and AR-15.
I also have been thinking about getting an AR15 in 22lr..not for competition but for plinking at the ranch. Because bulk cheap 22 is hard to find, I don't have that gun on my short list anymore..good luck...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

rt-texas

Mar 30, 2013
carrollton
Yes .22 is difficult to find at the moment so I won't even go there....hopefully this will change.

But I swear by and love my S&W 15-22 Magpul edition. Can't recommend it enough.

Shorts

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Mar 28, 2008
Texas
OP, because of availability you are better off shooting .223/5.56 out of an AR15 platform.

shortround

TGT Addict
Jan 24, 2011
Grid 0409
Speaking of .22 LR ... I'll get to that later.

Colt licenses its M-4 Carbine in .22 LR to Umarex. Walther of Germany makes the carbine. It looks, weighs, and feels just like the real thing. I often get looks at the range -- "hey is that thing suppressed?" "No, do you see a can?"

I've had mine since Jul '09. It comes with a hex wrench to adjust for the ammunition's potential. Mine has shot everything from crappy Remingtons to top shelf CCI's. Never once had to adjust the recoil mechanism -- they all worked perfectly in the mid range setting.

.22 LR shortage explained in just a few words: Not enough domestic capacity to satisfy demand. Forget hoarders, flippers, scalpers, and conspiracy theories:

Here's what happened. Panic. Every round available in stores, from distributors, and on-line was sold out in less than two months. Back orders were up to two years.

All domestic ammo companies combined, produce only 11.5 Million rounds of .22 LR per day (running at full capacity). We have 3,253 Walmart Super Centers in 48 States (none in HI or VT). To supply ONLY Walmart, the manufacturers can only produce about 3,500 rounds per store per day.

That would be seven 500-round bulk packs or bricks, Thirty Five 100-round count CCI Mini-Mags, etc. You get the picture.

When you factor in Academy Sports, Cabela's, Scheels, Gander Mountain, and hundreds of mom & pop stores PLUS on-line retailers, there is just not enough domestic production capacity to satisfy demand.

Ammo gets made, gets shipped to distributors, and goes directly to retailers. No supply gets built up. It gets bought up as soon as it is shipped. Dirty little secret: Lots of LGS sell their .22 LR on line, instead of putting it on the shelf at three times the retail price -- it is easier to tell the customer you have none to sell than to piss off a loyal customer by raising prices in a high demand market.

We can thank Al Gore for inventing the internet so that the true cost of face-to-face retail transactions in a tight market are hidden from the customer (except for gun shows and flea markets).

"Sorry, ain't got none to sell, but there's plenty on-line!"

Vaquero

San Saba Songbird
Apr 4, 2011
Out West
Speaking of .22 LR ... I'll get to that later.

Colt licenses its M-4 Carbine in .22 LR to Umarex. Walther of Germany makes the carbine. It looks, weighs, and feels just like the real thing. I often get looks at the range -- "hey is that thing suppressed?" "No, do you see a can?"

I've had mine since Jul '09. It comes with a hex wrench to adjust for the ammunition's potential. Mine has shot everything from crappy Remingtons to top shelf CCI's. Never once had to adjust the recoil mechanism -- they all worked perfectly in the mid range setting.

.22 LR shortage explained in just a few words: Not enough domestic capacity to satisfy demand. Forget hoarders, flippers, scalpers, and conspiracy theories:

Here's what happened. Panic. Every round available in stores, from distributors, and on-line was sold out in less than two months. Back orders were up to two years.

All domestic ammo companies combined, produce only 11.5 Million rounds of .22 LR per day (running at full capacity). We have 3,253 Walmart Super Centers in 48 States (none in HI or VT). To supply ONLY Walmart, the manufacturers can only produce about 3,500 rounds per store per day.

That would be seven 500-round bulk packs or bricks, Thirty Five 100-round count CCI Mini-Mags, etc. You get the picture.

When you factor in Academy Sports, Cabela's, Scheels, Gander Mountain, and hundreds of mom & pop stores PLUS on-line retailers, there is just not enough domestic production capacity to satisfy demand.

Ammo gets made, gets shipped to distributors, and goes directly to retailers. No supply gets built up. It gets bought up as soon as it is shipped. Dirty little secret: Lots of LGS sell their .22 LR on line, instead of putting it on the shelf at three times the retail price -- it is easier to tell the customer you have none to sell than to piss off a loyal customer by raising prices in a high demand market.

We can thank Al Gore for inventing the internet so that the true cost of face-to-face retail transactions in a tight market are hidden from the customer (except for gun shows and flea markets).

"Sorry, ain't got none to sell, but there's plenty on-line!"
And UPS gets the lion's share of the profit.

rt-texas

Mar 30, 2013
carrollton
Ok but how often do you get to shoot it? I wish 22 was more easier available....

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Shoot it whenever I want. I've always made sure I had an ammo fort in my house for whatever I own. And with the web it's not that hard to keep it replenished at a reasonable cost.

Top Bottom