• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbwine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2013
    Just retired my shot gun shooting after 31yrs. Looking to get a AR-15, in .22lr so I can shoot cheaply at my two gun clubs. Want what you guys think is the best copy of my original Stag Arms 2T. Want weight, controls, accuracy, function etc. Is there should and animal? I shot a S&W but way to light, and not great accuracy. Looking for feed back, as to anyone who has shot such and AR-15.
    Guns International

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    I think you might want to look into price and availability of 22LR ammo. Shoot Cheaply and 22LR don't really go together anymore.

IMO if you want an AR platform I would look into one in 9mm and think about getting into reloading.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    Just retired my shot gun shooting after 31yrs. Looking to get a AR-15, in .22lr so I can shoot cheaply at my two gun clubs. Want what you guys think is the best copy of my original Stag Arms 2T. Want weight, controls, accuracy, function etc. Is there should and animal? I shot a S&W but way to light, and not great accuracy. Looking for feed back, as to anyone who has shot such and AR-15.

I also have been thinking about getting an AR15 in 22lr..not for competition but for plinking at the ranch. Because bulk cheap 22 is hard to find, I don't have that gun on my short list anymore..good luck...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

rt-texas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    carrollton
    Yes .22 is difficult to find at the moment so I won't even go there....hopefully this will change.

But I swear by and love my S&W 15-22 Magpul edition. Can't recommend it enough.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Speaking of .22 LR ... I'll get to that later.

Colt licenses its M-4 Carbine in .22 LR to Umarex. Walther of Germany makes the carbine. It looks, weighs, and feels just like the real thing. I often get looks at the range -- "hey is that thing suppressed?" "No, do you see a can?"

I've had mine since Jul '09. It comes with a hex wrench to adjust for the ammunition's potential. Mine has shot everything from crappy Remingtons to top shelf CCI's. Never once had to adjust the recoil mechanism -- they all worked perfectly in the mid range setting.

.22 LR shortage explained in just a few words: Not enough domestic capacity to satisfy demand. Forget hoarders, flippers, scalpers, and conspiracy theories:

Here's what happened. Panic. Every round available in stores, from distributors, and on-line was sold out in less than two months. Back orders were up to two years.

All domestic ammo companies combined, produce only 11.5 Million rounds of .22 LR per day (running at full capacity). We have 3,253 Walmart Super Centers in 48 States (none in HI or VT). To supply ONLY Walmart, the manufacturers can only produce about 3,500 rounds per store per day.

That would be seven 500-round bulk packs or bricks, Thirty Five 100-round count CCI Mini-Mags, etc. You get the picture.

When you factor in Academy Sports, Cabela's, Scheels, Gander Mountain, and hundreds of mom & pop stores PLUS on-line retailers, there is just not enough domestic production capacity to satisfy demand.

Ammo gets made, gets shipped to distributors, and goes directly to retailers. No supply gets built up. It gets bought up as soon as it is shipped. Dirty little secret: Lots of LGS sell their .22 LR on line, instead of putting it on the shelf at three times the retail price -- it is easier to tell the customer you have none to sell than to piss off a loyal customer by raising prices in a high demand market.

We can thank Al Gore for inventing the internet so that the true cost of face-to-face retail transactions in a tight market are hidden from the customer (except for gun shows and flea markets).

"Sorry, ain't got none to sell, but there's plenty on-line!"

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Speaking of .22 LR ... I'll get to that later.

Colt licenses its M-4 Carbine in .22 LR to Umarex. Walther of Germany makes the carbine. It looks, weighs, and feels just like the real thing. I often get looks at the range -- "hey is that thing suppressed?" "No, do you see a can?"

I've had mine since Jul '09. It comes with a hex wrench to adjust for the ammunition's potential. Mine has shot everything from crappy Remingtons to top shelf CCI's. Never once had to adjust the recoil mechanism -- they all worked perfectly in the mid range setting.

.22 LR shortage explained in just a few words: Not enough domestic capacity to satisfy demand. Forget hoarders, flippers, scalpers, and conspiracy theories:

Here's what happened. Panic. Every round available in stores, from distributors, and on-line was sold out in less than two months. Back orders were up to two years.

All domestic ammo companies combined, produce only 11.5 Million rounds of .22 LR per day (running at full capacity). We have 3,253 Walmart Super Centers in 48 States (none in HI or VT). To supply ONLY Walmart, the manufacturers can only produce about 3,500 rounds per store per day.

That would be seven 500-round bulk packs or bricks, Thirty Five 100-round count CCI Mini-Mags, etc. You get the picture.

When you factor in Academy Sports, Cabela's, Scheels, Gander Mountain, and hundreds of mom & pop stores PLUS on-line retailers, there is just not enough domestic production capacity to satisfy demand.

Ammo gets made, gets shipped to distributors, and goes directly to retailers. No supply gets built up. It gets bought up as soon as it is shipped. Dirty little secret: Lots of LGS sell their .22 LR on line, instead of putting it on the shelf at three times the retail price -- it is easier to tell the customer you have none to sell than to piss off a loyal customer by raising prices in a high demand market.

We can thank Al Gore for inventing the internet so that the true cost of face-to-face retail transactions in a tight market are hidden from the customer (except for gun shows and flea markets).

"Sorry, ain't got none to sell, but there's plenty on-line!"

And UPS gets the lion's share of the profit.

rt-texas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    carrollton
    Ok but how often do you get to shoot it? I wish 22 was more easier available....

Shoot it whenever I want. I've always made sure I had an ammo fort in my house for whatever I own. And with the web it's not that hard to keep it replenished at a reasonable cost.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Look at the Mossberg. Buddy of mine has one and uses it for varmint and critter control in his land. Said he even got a couple with pigs with it. Says it's accurate and reliable too. And the guys at my old gunshop swear by theirs.

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008

CMMG Quebec-A

22LR Rifles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    I bought the Model 1 Sales 20" A3 .22LR kit for Christmas so I could have a trainer for my National Match rifle, at least in terms of weight, barrel length, etc. I can't wait to go shoot it; it looks fantastic and much sturdier than the rest of the pack (S&W MP-15, Mossberg, etc.)

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    This thread is a great example of why there is not any .22 ammo available. When centerfire ammo prices increased, the sales of .22 firearms skyrocketed. With all of the new models, and cool designs, they have sold more .22's than ever. Buying the M4 .22 rifle is a great idea. It is unfortunately not an original idea.
    There must not be much profit in manufacturing .22 ammo or else everyone would do it. I wonder what is going to happen next year when lead becomes scarce, and everyone has to retool for "green" ammo? It is not likely that this shortage will ever end. And the "green" ammo will be more expensive.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    This thread is a great example of why there is not any .22 ammo available. When centerfire ammo prices increased, the sales of .22 firearms skyrocketed. With all of the new models, and cool designs, they have sold more .22's than ever. Buying the M4 .22 rifle is a great idea. It is unfortunately not an original idea.
    There must not be much profit in manufacturing .22 ammo or else everyone would do it. I wonder what is going to happen next year when lead becomes scarce, and everyone has to retool for "green" ammo? It is not likely that this shortage will ever end. And the "green" ammo will be more expensive.

What exactly is "green" ammo?

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    What exactly is "green" ammo?

When lead is not available, you have replace it with something else. Lead ammunition will be phased out over time. A long time by my estimate, but depending on where you live it will be sooner.
    I reluctantly include the following link: » EPA Pushes Gun Control Through Green Ammo Mandate Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
    (just because it is infowars)
    Lead is already 5 times the price it was in 2008.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    When lead is not available, you have replace it with something else. Lead ammunition will be phased out over time. A long time by my estimate, but depending on where you live it will be sooner.
    I reluctantly include the following link: » EPA Pushes Gun Control Through Green Ammo Mandate Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!
    (just because it is infowars)
    Lead is already 5 times the price it was in 2008.

It has already been pretty well debunked that the smelter will have any effect on ammo prices or availability.

Most of our lead comes from overseas, ammo uses primarily recycled lead. Unless there is a ban on lead imports I don't see how closing the smelter will have any noticeable effect.

I've also read in several places that the guidelines that lead to the closing were started by the Bush administration so the theory of back door gun control through lead resources doesn't hold up well either.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Nevermind the fact that if lead became that scarce, ranges everywhere would be mining their backstops and berms overnight.

jtw2

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2013
    Cedar Creek
    Years ago I started picking up a 550 box or two of .22 every time I went to Walmart. I'm set for a while. So glad I did that!

Top Bottom