• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Last year, I finally bought an AR and opened up a huge can of worms. Now I constantly obsess over getting new calibers in the AR platform. I have shot and owned several semi-autos but nothing larger than a 7.62x39. Anyhow, I just wanted to hear opinions from anyone who has shot or owned an AR in 6.8mm or 7.62x39 cals. Are they worth the investment or should I be saving up my pennies for an Ar-10 ?
    Target Sports

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Check out .300Whisper/.300-221 fireball.....

Subsonic they pack a punch and are stupid quiet with a can. Supersonic they are kinda like a 7.62 X 39.

Same bolt, same upper, .223 doner brass, .308 bullets, only thing you change is the barrel.

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    The Model 1 sales upper in 7.62X39 I have in accurate and reliable. Recoil is just a tad more than 5.56.

The model 1 Sales upper in 6.8 SPC functions well and recoil is about even with the 7.63X39. Haven't got it on the bench to do any accuracy testing yet BUT from the sighting in and "plinking" to get the feel of it it looks like it is going to be very accurate also.

Just buy Uppers and swap them out on your existing lower to save some cash to buy the AR-10.

ConnRadd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Angleton, Tx
    TexMex,

The question is... What are your plans for a larger caliber AR?

I went through this not to long ago... I almost went with a 6.8 Upper, which has good reviews vs. to 5.56, with the mindset that AR-10/LR-308s were impossible to get. After several of our TGT members here informed me that the AR/LRs were available; I sold one of my AR-15s and ordered a LR-308 AP4. I wanted a rifle for 25 to 150 + yds for hogs and deer. The .308 bullets are more plentiful than the 6.8 and has been proven for many years with good ballistics, that pretty much made my decision. The benefit of a AR-15 with the 6.8 upper over a AR-10/LR-308 is the weight.

TalonRob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Like ConnRadd says, it comes down to what you really need.
    Just to put things in perspective, I sold my personal 6.8 SPR and bought two .22LR AR15 uppers this year. I have not carried a gun professionally in over 15 years and I punch paper more than anything else. With ammo costs double what they were two years ago, a .22LR mean ten times more trigger time at the range!
    Now when I go to the range I can shoot as much as I want and I don't worry about costs. And my Tactical Solutions LT upper is accurate enough to shoot golf balls out to 100 yards.

Reverendbiker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    I have AR platforms in 5.56, 6.8 SPC and an LR-308. By far my favorite is the 6.8. I use it to carry in the gun rack on my Rhino at the ranch, and it (for me) is the perfect combination of light weight, low recoil, accuracy and stopping power. I killed over 100 hogs and a couple of deer with it over the past two years.
    Don't misunderstand--I love my AR15 in 5.56, but I like a little more punch when shooting hogs. I like my LR-308, but the darned thing is just heavier than I want to carry around. For me, the 6.8 SPC is the perfect compromise. Your needs may differ.

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    I got a new M4 and I also am thinking about the 6.8 upper. One drawback is the ammo availability. You might consider a 7.62x39 upper as an alternative. Ammo will probably be more affordable for the near future.

:sign0101:
    Will regular AR mags load 7.62x39 or does it take AK mags?

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Will regular AR mags load 7.62x39 or does it take AK mags?

No and No. AK mags will not fit in an AR mag well. The tapered case of the X39 requires a lot more curve in the mag body to allow the rounds to stack properly. C-Products makes functional mags for the AR 7.62X39

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    6,8 or 6.5 is the way to go.

The ,22 upper is almost mandatory.

What do you plan to do with it?

6.8 is great for deer and general hunting as is the 6.5.

6.5 Grendel is a 1000 yard round.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I think I like what I have heard about the 6.8 so far. I am a reloader so ammo cost and availability are no big deal. How do the 6.8 and 7.62x39 treat brass on your ARs ? Since I do reload, that may also play a factor for me. I hate to say my SKS beats the crap out of brass so reloading lifespans are a little short. Anyhow, good stuff so far, thank ya'll for sharin'.

Top Bottom