• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    You find a good load and stick with it. How do you know that your first shit won't need to penetrate X? Or prefer to have HP? You got a crystal ball. Plenty of good barrier blind loads out there that do good.
    If your shooting through walls or doors at someone, not only are you going to be putting random people and possibly your family in danger, you could possibly face legal issues if the prosecutor wants to make a big deal over it.

The idea that your going to be in a gun fight with a bad guy where he's going to take cover behind a concrete barrier and return fire is not realistic. The chances of that are extraordinarily rare. This is Texas, not Iraq. a 9mm with hollowpoints is sufficient for the overwhelming majority of home defense situations. A AR-15 with green tip ammo is far from what I'd choose for home defense. Soft points are a much better bullet for that purpose.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

TheEnglishman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2016
    I use a Hi Point 9mm for home defence. I couldn't afford an AR15 at the time, and a shotgun would be too powerful for my wife. Other than the 10 round magazine, it's pretty much perfect for our needs.

Alliance96

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2016
    How are the reliability of the 9mm AR platform rifles? I assume the ones machine for a 9mm mag are more reliable than those converted mag wells is that correct?

Joshua - Capitol Armory

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    9mm ARs can be spotty as far as getting them to run right. There's no "milspec parts" like a 5.56, so you have some bolts that need milling, some that work, heavy buffer, etc. They can be a bit of a PITA at times to get running properly. Other times, no issue at all.

I don't really care for the recoil of the 9mm AR, it's different than the 5.56--- but there's not any less of it. There's a lot of recoil based off it being blowback and the heavy parts moving a significant distance. (Not like it's a 50 or something, but more than you would expect for the caliber.)

For a 9mm platform, I think MP5 or MPX shoot significantly better.

navysooner

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Ft. Worth
    Get a PSA Ar and a hi point carbine both together less than $1000. Put one in one part of the house and the other in the other part of the house problem solved and you have two guns.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    9mm ARs can be spotty as far as getting them to run right. There's no "milspec parts" like a 5.56, so you have some bolts that need milling, some that work, heavy buffer, etc. They can be a bit of a PITA at times to get running properly. Other times, no issue at all.

I don't really care for the recoil of the 9mm AR, it's different than the 5.56--- but there's not any less of it. There's a lot of recoil based off it being blowback and the heavy parts moving a significant distance. (Not like it's a 50 or something, but more than you would expect for the caliber.)

For a 9mm platform, I think MP5 or MPX shoot significantly better.

I've been eyeballing a MPX-P PSB. Like the HK, designed around the 9mm. But at $1300+ bucks, it's a hard sale. 9mm runs neck in neck on price per round.

Pretty gun but just about useless for anything but close up room sweeping in a Tom Clancy novel. If it was in 10mm, I would have already bought one.

.45 and it's a Kriss Vector.

MPX-P-SB15_detail-Hero.jpg

9uc

Bible/Gun carrying Christian Conservative
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2015
    Humble, TX
    I would opt for a 9mm carbine if no more than it keeps the ammo storage problems down. I'm already struggling for storage space for 9mm, 380 and 30 cal. Over the years I've looked at carbines from 308, 7.62 x51 and 39 to 5.56 and finally had to admit to myself, I don't hunt and I don't expect the world as we know it to end any time soon. I had no business spending the money for what would be an exotic safe queen. Don't know where I picked it up or why, but I have taken an interest in the 9mm carbine market lately and I'm first to admit it would be more toy than anything else. The one I have taken an interest in is the no longer in production Ruger PC9. For the most part they are only available on auctions, and what I've seen is typical auction run up prices. I don't care for the black rifle fad, but prefer something akin to the shape of my M1 without it being one of the new generation M1 9mm knock offs.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    A pistol caliber long gun/handgun combo is pretty handy. Especially if they use the same magazine.
    With +P rounds in a carbine you aren't giving up much for typical short range home SD work.
    A .357mag in a lever gun isn't exactly a slouch. It really lets the velocity get up there.
    The fun factor is there as well as the economy.
    Honestly, the 9mm Sterling carbine gets more use than any other gun on range day. Even kids enjoy shooting it.
    I plan on buying that ATI 9mm semi replica of the infamous German MP-40 as soon as it hits the shops.
    Heck, I even saw a 9mm Largo Destroyer Carbine this morning. Now there is one you don't see every day.

Top Bottom