• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coondog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    hello all, i am back again with another question which you all probably feel is a stup0id but however the matter, here we go. I am on the market for building an ar-15. there are specific parts and features i want and i dont want to spend the extra money for all the stuff i dont care to have so i am building it. i am stuck on one thing, caliber. i know it is a big argument this caliber question, or more a personal opinion. my question is this, at what piont does an ar-15 become an ar-10? what calibers can i pursue with the ar-15? what the difference in ar style rifles like ar-15 and m denoted rifle m4 or m16? it seems there is no info on this question on the internet available. please help my no understanding self out. thanks alot.
    Hurley's Gold

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    AR10s are chambered in 7.62 NATO / .308 Winchester. The AR15 is chambered in 5.56 NATO / .223 Remington, and there have been several iterations based on the standard magazine size, 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, etc.

AR Rifles can be had in just about anything these days.

.22 LR
    .204 Ruger
    5.45x39 Soviet
    .223 Remington / 5.56 NATO
    6.5 Grendel
    6.8 SPC
    .260 Remington
    7.62x39 Soviet
    .308 Winchester / 7.62 NATO
    .338 Lapua Magnum
    .450 Bushmaster
    .458 SOCOM
    .50 Beowulf
    .50 BMG (bolt conversion)

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    what the difference in ar style rifles like ar-15 and m denoted rifle m4 or m16?

"M4" typically refers to an AR with a 16" barrel and collapsible stock, whereas "M16" typically refers to an AR with a 20" barrel and a fixed stock. Both "M4" and "M16" are military designations, which would imply select-fire weapons, so, civilian weapons are really "M4-style" and "M16-style", i.e., not the real thing. At least that's the way I understand it...

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    The first "M-16's" were actually stamped AR-15 but were selectfire rifles delivered to the US Air Force. When they were officially adopted by the US DoD, they were designated M-16. The revisions were labeled in the typical military fashion, A-1, A-2, A-3, A-4. There were some experimental models adopted for limited runs. The most recognized probably being the XM-177E2.

The M-4 is the 14.5" burst fire version. The civilian version has a 16" barrel in semi-auto. Some have 14.5" barrels w/1.5" flashhiders permanently installed. The M-4 configuration normally has a step down on the barrel ahead of the front sight base that would allow the M-203 grenade launcher to be attached.

The A-3 is a full auto (instead of burst) A-2.\

The A-4 is a flat top M-4.

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    The first "M-16's" were actually stamped AR-15 but were selectfire rifles delivered to the US Air Force. When they were officially adopted by the US DoD, they were designated M-16. The revisions were labeled in the typical military fashion, A-1, A-2, A-3, A-4. There were some experimental models adopted for limited runs. The most recognized probably being the XM-177E2.

The M-4 is the 14.5" burst fire version. The civilian version has a 16" barrel in semi-auto. Some have 14.5" barrels w/1.5" flashhiders permanently installed. The M-4 configuration normally has a step down on the barrel ahead of the front sight base that would allow the M-203 grenade launcher to be attached.

or a flat top "M-16"

The M-16 is selectable for full and automatic fire. The M16 was to have had the same effective range as the M-14 rifle it replaced, but it was most effective at a range of 215 yards (200m) or less. The M-16 used a 5.56mm (.223 cal.) cartridge in 20- or 30-round magazines.
    The M-16A2 was introduced in 1982 with improvements over the M-16 and M-16A1. The M-16A2 is equipped with a burst control device so that each pull of the trigger fires one shot if single shots are selected. In automatic fire, the M-16A2 automatically fires a three-shot burst for each trigger-pull, considered optimum from Army research. The M-16A2 also incorporates a more durable plastic handguard, rifle stock, and pistol grip, interchangeable handguard halves, an adjustable dual-aperture rear sight that corrects for both windage and elevation, a heavier barrel to increase accuracy, 1-in-7 rifling, a brass deflector to prevent ejected casings from hitting left-handed shooters, and an effective muzzle compensator to prevent muzzle climb during auto fire.
    The M16A4 rifle is a modified M16A2 service rifle. An M1913 Rail Adapter System (RAS) replaces the upper hand guards of the M16A2 and incorporates a removable rear-carrying handle. The rail adapter system and modified hand guards allow for the mounting of various accessories such as a modified M203 launching system, high intensity flashlights, and IR laser target designators as well as optics.
    In 2003 the U.S. Army issued limited numbers of the M-16A3 and M-16A4, which incorporate a rail mounting system similar to the M-4A1 Carbine. The M4 Carbine, a shortened version of the M-16A2 is replacing the longer standard rifle in selected military units.

Coondog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    i would really like to find one of those vltor vis upper recievers to build an ar rifle out of, those are cool as hell. i guess the upcoming assault on our second ammendment has everybody all backed up and backordered. i can't find one anywhere. they say that obama is taking away black rifles first. that kinda sucks seeing as how they just got real popular and with so many different options. anybody know where there is a vltor upper reciever anywhere? i got the money in my pocket.

dmkav24

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    the history of the little black gun that could

AR-15 was designed by armilite as a security rifle for the air force, not a main battle rifle the army was going to use the ar-18 and the marine corps was using the m-14. The DOD during the Kenedy admin decided it was better for every one to have the same weapon for obvious reasons because the ar-15 was cheap it became the militarys main battle rifle. Armalite petitioned the dod not to do that because it was not designed to be a main battle rifle it was designed to be carryed a lot, and used very little. That brings us up to the M16A1, Early on this weapon was built by several contractors including colt, General electric, even general motors the m16a1 went through several design changes but was a fixed stock 20 inch barrel fully automatic the A2 was select fire semi, 3-round burst. A3 removeable carry handle every thing else same as the A2 and the A4 is the same as well withe the addition of a quad rail system. To correct you on the XM177E2 that weapon was specifically built by colt, as well as the CAR-15 bothe were attempts to make the M-16 more compact but had down falls with the direct impengment systems (gas recoil) These weapons were the predicesors for the M-4 shorter lighter the M-4 A1 is fully auto select fire the M-16 A-2 is select fire 3 round burst.

the weapon actually has a very interesting history one good note is that it was initally designed to opperate with a gas piston system and a 7.62 round not the 5.56 which it uses today. just my 2 cent

nhm16

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    my question is this, at what piont does an ar-15 become an ar-10?

To answer this particular question, an AR-15 can never "become" an AR-10. They both look the same but the AR-10 is physically larger and there are few parts that are interchangeable; the major parts, namely the receiver, are definitely not. To confuse the matter further, the are two "families" of AR-10s, the first being based on the original AR-10 of the 1960's using AR-10 style magazines (Knights SR-25, DPMS AR-308, etc.), and the AR-10 produced by the modern Armalite company, which uses a modified M-14 magazine. The receivers of the two types of AR-10s are generally not interchangeable either.

In short, you can think of the AR-10, especially the receiver parts, as an 6/5th scale AR-15.

In terms of what you can chamber in the AR-15 or AR-10, the main limitation is the length of the cartridge. Past a certain length, you have to use an AR-10 platform.

dmkav24

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    stoner and armalite are one and the same the ar10 was initially designed to be a main battle rifle prior to the ar-15 or m16 the ar-10 was designed to use a 7.62 round(.308) therefor any ar variant in 308 is an ar 10 futher more any ar style rifle that isnt chambered for a 5.56 or 223 isnt really an ar-15 just my 2 cent

Madhouse

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Tomball, TX
    AR10s are chambered in 7.62 NATO / .308 Winchester. The AR15 is chambered in 5.56 NATO / .223 Remington, and there have been several iterations based on the standard magazine size, 6.8 SPC, 6.5 Grendel, etc.

AR Rifles can be had in just about anything these days.

.22 LR
    .204 Ruger
    5.45x39 Soviet
    .223 Remington / 5.56 NATO
    6.5 Grendel
    6.8 SPC
    .260 Remington
    7.62x39 Soviet
    .308 Winchester / 7.62 NATO
    .338 Lapua Magnum
    .450 Bushmaster
    .458 SOCOM
    .50 Beowulf
    .50 BMG (bolt conversion)

5.7x28mm

nhm16

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    stoner and armalite are one and the same the ar10 was initially designed to be a main battle rifle prior to the ar-15 or m16 the ar-10 was designed to use a 7.62 round(.308) therefor any ar variant in 308 is an ar 10 futher more any ar style rifle that isnt chambered for a 5.56 or 223 isnt really an ar-15 just my 2 cent

The current Armalite is not the same as the Armalite that employed Eugene Stoner and developed the AR platform. That Armalite was a division of Fairchild, of A-10 fame. Through various spin-offs, sales, and reincarnations of Armalite after Fairchild, the Armalite name was bought by a company named Eagle Arms in the 1990's.

If you really want to be pedantic the only "real" AR-15's are Colts, since they were the ones who bought the rights to the design from the original Armlite. But nowadays, what we refer to as an AR-15 is really an AR-15 pattern rifle; it has become a generic design produced by many manufacturers. Consequently, it can be chambered in anything that fits and still be considered an AR-15, in my opinion. I myself am waiting for my 6.8 SPC upper to complement my existing 5.56 uppers.

Top Bottom