• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2Shots1Wound

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Out of shear curiosity, do you guys know of any places in Houston that one could run tactical style drills with an AR-15? Someplace where you can actually move with the weapon and shoot at multiple targets. Someday down the road I'd like to get one but can't seem to justify the expense if it's just something I shoot at Carters Country. For such a intersting platform that kind of practice seems limiting.

Thanks
    Target Sports

jasont

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Houston
    [url]http://www.theimpactzonerange.com/[/URL]

The Impact Zone is the only range in the area I know of that fits those requirements. It is a private range that lets you practice or train as you want. There are 11 bays so you can get your own and set it up however you want. Movement, drawing from the holster, rapid fire, or whatever else you want to do is ok as long as you are safe and use common sense. The only thing they restrict is no .50 cal rifles.

Zen

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Kingwood, Tx
    Same Thing

Don't know if anyone's still seeing this thread but I have been hunting for the exact same thing for some time. I haven't been able to do any REAL shooting for a while and am getting real tired of just shooting off a bench. I've been trying to find a range or some land to shoot at. I see a few suggestions here, the Impact Zone appears to be more of a training facility but are there no other ideas out there? I'm in Kingwood and Carter's Country and Thunder are pretty much my options. Hot Wells is out past spring but doesn't offer anything the other two don't.

Any other ideas or information would be much appreciated.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    [tongue planted in cheek]

The first lesson in defensive shooting of any kind, might involve something along the lines of reconsidering what your user name says.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    The first lesson in defensive shooting of any kind, might involve something along the lines of reconsidering what your user name says.

The only thing I could figure is that it means two shots, one wound channel, i.e., the two shots created one wound (not wounded). Still, "2Shots1Hole" would sound better. ;)

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Yep, Paul Howe at CSAT as previously mentioned, would be an excellent guy to train with. There is also Jim Smith at Spartan Tactical: Home

Those two are going to be some of the best that are here in Texas. If you read about their military background, you'll see what I mean. Basically the best of the best the Army has to offer, and we are lucky to have them here in Texas.

There is also Hoffner's in Houston: Training

2Shots1Wound

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    The only thing I could figure is that it means two shots, one wound channel, i.e., the two shots created one wound (not wounded). Still, "2Shots1Hole" would sound better. ;)

Hint: It's the opposite of what a true military badass sniper might say (1 shot 1 kill). Just a little humor at my own expense :)

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Hi Guys,

If you want the real experience with the AR-15 at 200 yards, we shoot at the Golden Triangle Gun Club in Beaumont. They have a bolt match at 200 yards, Military Rifle match at 200 yards, 600 yard prone and an "across the course" match (200, 300, 600 yards) every month. It's not house-to house shooting but there are some rapid fire stages that turn out pretty fun.

The club also has AR-15 rifles that we purchased to use as rentals for a nominal price.

Here's what to do: Search the club name and get into the match schedule. The match director contact info is listed in the match schedule.

Beaumont seems like a long drive but many guys come from Houston to shoot with us. I've been shooting with them for about 6-7 years.

Now, here's a word of caution............. Since the ammo shortages have been so bad, attendance has been spotty so call the director of the match you're interested in and talk to him, first. In the past, it was not uncommon to have 20 or more shooters. They are great guys and will help and/or loan gear if you need it!

I have been working 70-80 hours per week so it put a stop to my match shooting for a while. I quit that job so I'll be coming back, soon.

Flash

fm2

Event Coordinator
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    . I've been trying to find a range or some land to shoot at. I see a few suggestions here, the Impact Zone appears to be more of a training facility but are there no other ideas out there?
    quote]

Impact Zone is a membership range, so you could do some shooting there. They also host classes, so people can learn how to run their guns.

markas70

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    Austin
    Look into and IDPA match in your area.The matches I go to also have matches for AR type weapons, and it a good way to run differant senaireos (SP) with your AR.

GI-John

Hurry up and wait!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Houston/San Antonio TX
    Just got back from some good ole fashion ARMY training. I guess you could say it was my birthday present(turned 22yrs old at a mock urban warfare training site) Tons of Urban Warfare training and ammo. But yeah full battle rattle(all gear&weapon) we were soaked in sweat. Its alot of fun and very interesting, but around this time is texas plan on sweating, sweating and more sweating. The ranges I find are kinda pricey for tactical scenarios but the places listed above are great facilities. Have'nt been but heard of em. Anyone with an AR should def treat themselves sooner or later. After all, thats its intended purpose.

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Go see these guys... they can fix you up!

US Marine Corps Reserve Rcrtg

(713) 796-1343

1902 Old Spanish Trl

Houston, TX 77054

:p

Top Bottom