• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Getting ready to build a ar-15 based on the a4 platform but, with the a1 Vietnam style triangle hand guards. My question is will those hand guards fit a 16" mid length? Or do I need a 20" standard length. The hand guards measure a foot long.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I believe the mid length uses an odd ball length handguard that is unique to them. Longer than carbine handguards but shorter than the rifle.

In a word, NO.

mac79912

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    You will need a 20" barrel for it to fit.I bought some not too long ago for my Colt AR Hbar.

9x19

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    ok? im confused, what do you mean?

There are some barrels out there that are shorter than 20", but still have full-length hand-guards (and gas tubes that run underneath)... I think this variation is what prompted TSU45's response. :confused:

nhm16

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    PK Firearms makes a carbine length (7") A1 style triangle handguards, but I don't know if anyone makes midlength (9") A1 style handguards.

There are some barrels out there that are shorter than 20", but still have full-length hand-guards (and gas tubes that run underneath)...

Bushmaster makes these. They call them "Dissipators". A 16" barrel, carbine length gas system with a low profile gas block under the full length A2 style handguards, and a standard sight out near the front of the barrel. I understand this is done mostly to get the full rifle length sight radius.

Similarly, people also use low profile gas blocks to run longer handguards or rails. For example, I have a seen a fair number of guns with a 12" (rifle length) rails on a 16" barrel gun with a low profile gas block under the rail. An added advantage is that the gas block is covered by the handguard.

However, what the original poster is referring to is the "mid-length" gas system... The gas tube is approximately 9" long as opposed to 7" in a carbine or 12" in a rifle gas system. Many think that for 16" barrels that length gas system is ideal, as it puts less stress on the operating components as opposed to the carbine length gas system. Many think this also looks better cosmetically, as the carbine length gas system, originally designed for 14.5" barrels, leaves too much barrel protruding out the front when used with 16" barrel.

Mid-length non-railed handguards are less common, the only ones I can find are standard M4 style.

Top Bottom