• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Every reply you've made implies a battle field scenario with no tools.... I agreed with you for the simplicity of a MIL spec trigger vs drop in. Your making it seem the only trigger is a MIL spec for a AR platform & anything else is not of Eugene Stoners design & therfore is no other option.
    You are reading far too deeply into what i write. Battlefield or not, there are plenty of situations where you might not have the tools handy.

I am not making it seem like anything, that is all you, with all the imagined implications, misreadings, and misaccusations. You've gone to the point of arguing over what is and isn't field stripping.

I said why something was done the way it was, and how it was intended to be used, and all we have to go one is a 20 word post by the OP.

OP is building his first AR. There is no reason to get a cassette style trigger.
    The AR design is based on the design of a M16 battle rifle correct? The only difference is the 3rd pin & disconnector

We ain't in battle so what difference does it make what trigger I use as a recreational tool

Ar15 came first. It was select fire, developed and sold directly to the US GOV'T. Colt adapted the design and sold the SP1 to civilians
    Lynx Defense

Last edited:

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    But there is one unit that pops out.

No springs flying, not lost parts.

I'm VERY happy with my CMC style trigger and use it for run-and-guns where reliability is important because the gun is in the dirt, may go under water etc. Never an issue with it.

To each their own.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk
    Aside from the small screws, sure

A larue mbt has no flying springs or easy parts to loose

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    As always an exciting discussion on tgt. With a few friends and others I respect.

I would worry more about buying an ar that can just run long periods without much maintenance. I’m a firm believer in stag and colt.

My old stag model one only needs rain to wash out it’s trigger pins. I take care of my guns but I also treat em like the tools they are.

If I know I will be surviving in the wild, I’m going to bring the right tools for the job. Ain’t nothing wrong with packing tools for an ar…but that’s the difference between survival and deployment (local).

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    You can also easily adjust a standard style trigger with various spring kits. Drop-ins are (for the most part) take it or leave it.

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    Wow, so much fudd in here.

To the OP, I’ve had the following triggers
    MILSPEC - it was cheap, heavy, and not predictable where it would break. For shooting large targets up close this style is just fine. I did not install this trigger, I had a buddy do it as this was my first build.

CMC 3.5 lbs drop in was better than the USGI, lighter pull, easy to install, but has some creep that makes for an unpredictable break. Still, the rifle with this trigger could shoot sub MOA. Good value, but as noted in the numerous posts above, is not a duty grade option. Range toy trigger only.

Elftmann ELF Match trigger. Basically the same as the CMC in that it had lower pull weight, but it had creep that made the break unpredictable. Not a bad trigger, but overpriced for the performance. Will replace at some point in the future.

Geissele SSA-E harder to install than the drop in, but once you watch a video it will make sense. This trigger was already installed on a carbine I bought, I dislike two stage triggers in general and this one was no exception. Removed and installed in a .22lr. The first stage is very light and short and the second stage doesn’t have enough weight. This results in an unpredictable trigger pull when shooting for precision. For shooting large targets up close it is fine. There are better choices for the money.

Geissele SSP also harder to install than a drop in, but this is hands down the best trigger I’ve ever had in a carbine. I would buy this again in a heart beat. Very light weight, very predictable break, no creep.

These are all sample sizes of one and influenced by my bias.

The questions asking for your preferences will help us help you.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas

MILSPEC - it was cheap, heavy, and not predictable where it would break. For shooting large targets up close this style is just fine. I did not install this trigger, I had a buddy do it as this was my first build.

CMC 3.5 lbs drop in was better than the USGI, lighter pull, easy to install, but has some creep that makes for an unpredictable break. Still, the rifle with this trigger could shoot sub MOA. Good value, but as noted in the numerous posts above, is not a duty grade option. Range toy trigger only.

Elftmann ELF Match trigger. Basically the same as the CMC in that it had lower pull weight, but it had creep that made the break unpredictable. Not a bad trigger, but overpriced for the performance. Will replace at some point in the future.

Geissele SSA-E harder to install than the drop in, but once you watch a video it will make sense. This trigger was already installed on a carbine I bought, I dislike two stage triggers in general and this one was no exception. Removed and installed in a .22lr. The first stage is very light and short and the second stage doesn’t have enough weight. This results in an unpredictable trigger pull when shooting for precision. For shooting large targets up close it is fine. There are better choices for the money.

Geissele SSP also harder to install than a drop in, but this is hands down the best trigger I’ve ever had in a carbine. I would buy this again in a heart beat. Very light weight, very predictable break, no creep.

The questions asking for your preferences will help us help you.
    Not all gi triggers are the same. DD is awful. Noticable grit, takeup, heavy... Colt FCG's are pretty good. Still heavy with some grit, but still not bad for how simple it is. The triggers that came in the red barn armory LPK'S are the worst things ever put in a rifle this side of a bullet button.

AR's are exceptionally accurate rifles, while a nice trigger can really help, it won't turn a Hesse into a LaRue

cartridgechemist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2023
    Houston, TX

The questions asking for your preferences will help us he
    For the Geiselle SSP, was it the curved or straight?

RedneckHillbilly

Blacksheep of forums
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2023
    Texas, Kilgore
    New to thread, basically behind the curve on things. What do you recommend, I will go through and read up. But if a guy had an Ar and just wanted it for spulunking, would you go with a heavy auto bolt with a binary or just regular one? Whats your thoughts on the savage platform, are they decent or overrated?

NikelATX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2023
    Round Rock Texas
    For "budget" builds, I am quite fond of Rock River Arms 2 Stage National Match trigger. I've got them on 2 of my AR's.
    Can be found for about $80 on sale.
    Agreed. Rock River trigger never wowed me, but I never thought “this trigger sucks” when using it. Just kind of disappeared in the background which is a bit of a compliment.

JandK

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2021
    Cherokee County
    Hyperfire triggers are my favorite for competitive use. Avoid drop in casset triggers they typically all fail Timminey is one I have had problems with and many others during high round counts in class. I do like timiney in other applications and they have improved but that was a frequent issue back then.
    Giessel,LaRue, also make great triggers. For my never coming home again rifle I'll take the original trigger design for the ar and you can clean them up a bit .

Top Bottom