• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thequintessentialman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2015
    Among other things, I'm considering a conversion kit to 22LR for an AR. It looks like there are two paths for this, a bolt with adapter for .223 or a complete upper. Just wondering about your experience and thoughts with this.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Guns International

thequintessentialman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2015
    Among other things, I'm considering a conversion kit to 22LR for an AR. It looks like there are two paths for this, a bolt with adapter for .223 or a complete upper. Just wondering about your experience and thoughts with this.

... Just realized auto-mispleel changed AR to AT...

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    i asked this question a few years ago and the consensus was the CMMG kit (mags and bcg) were the most reliable, however on earth that's possible.

that's the route I'll one day go. I hate having spare uppers. they end up getting built lowers lol.

Sent from my SIG Sauer

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    My concern of the conversion kit is the lead and gunk getting into the gas system. Now with that said, you can use the conversion kit in a dedicated upper with no gas system and should be fine. With a 1:8 or 1:9 twist barrel you may over stabilize most .22 LR rounds. But, if you go subsonic and want to shoot the Aguila super sniper 60 gr rounds this will stabilize that bullet.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Yes the 15-22 is a great option. I am trying to find one from the performance center at a reasonable cost. The recent past Gander Mountain had a used one for over a year before they went out of business. It was priced like a new one and they would never come down on the price. It finally sold during the everything must go sale..for about what it should have originally. Bad thing is I missed out on it.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    i asked this question a few years ago and the consensus was the CMMG kit (mags and bcg) were the most reliable, however on earth that's possible.

that's the route I'll one day go. I hate having spare uppers. they end up getting built lowers lol.

Sent from my SIG Sauer
    I went with a CMMG complete upper with conversion. Both that upper and a matching AR-15 live together in the same case.

DD130

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2017
    Devil's Backbone
    Can't you buy an M&P AR15-22 for about the same price as a conversion kit? Seems like that would be the best way to go.

My buddy put together a "conversion" and has had a lot of feeding issues, and still hasn't sorted out the *right* mags to run. I'm quite familiar with slapping AR's together (I have 12 I built behind me in my safe)... but I'm glad I opted for the M&P 15/22. It's dead-nuts reliable, even with the dirtiest Amrscore lead-nose crap I jam down it's throat. Do I like the price S&W asks for their mags.. no.. that's one thing I'm not that thrilled about.. but.. again.. it's super reliable and I think I spent about $400 for the complete thing. Mine is few years old and I don't like the foregrip, the new ones are better I hear... but you can do a small $50 mod to make it accept any AR grip if that's what floats your boat.
    IMG_4250.PNG

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Concur with getting a dedicated rifle, much like the .22 conversion kits for the 1911 they never seem to run smoothly and are a pain in the ass to deal with (especially cleaning). I odn't have a .22 AR (for that matter, I don't have an AR! :p) but I did have experience with them in the Air Force and they were crap.

I went though this same debate when I wanted a .22 1911, I ended up buying a GSG as it cost about the same as a conversion kit, and it runs like a champ!

Top Bottom