• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    They're okay range toys. COULD they be used for home defense? Sure. Are there better options? Of course. They're about as 'practical' as a Rossi Ranch Hand. Once I fulfill a few more 'wants' I might pick one of those up. Practical? Not really. Fun toy? Yes.

So, you don't have any use for an M4 either?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

OnyxATX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Austin, TX
    AR_pistol.jpg

Yea... it's louder than a 12 gauge. It's... loud. Also though, you're face is way closer to the business end of the barrel. So look at shooting say a Remington 700 in .308 or even a 12 gauge 870. You're substantially further back from the noisy end, which makes it even worse on the ears.

I think short barrels are GREAT for home defense. You can move about much easier, keep them close to your body, and the shorter barrel makes the effective range cut down... but that comes with the stipulation you either wear ear pro, get a can, or don't care about your hearing being screwed forever. And of course, you are in an environment where you can fire rounds like that without ripping through a thin wall into a neighbors bedroom or something.

I highly prefer AR over AK pistols though. I see AR pistols as a viable option for moving fast and not worrying about a long barrel. By this, I mean AR pistols in a standard AR configuration (not the silly hybrid business with the spring above the BCG).

Last edited:

franzas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Any rifle -can is louder than a shotgun. Reason being pressure behind the bullet. Gasses escape rather easily from a shotgun barrel, not the case with a rifle.

I'll shoot shotguns all day while out hunting. No hearing problems whatsoever.

If you think a 12 gauge is loud, stand next to a 7mm mag, then talk to me

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Sticking to the topic, do you think that a shotgun is going to be any more bearable indoors then a AR/AK pistol? I'm guessing not, and past comments about it not being a good gun for home defense because of sound levels is irrelevant. I believe that the noise level from both the shotgun and the AR/AK pistol are going to both be past a point, sound level wise, where one may or may not incur hearing damage and/or disorientation.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I'd much rather use a shotgun. at least it has a buttstock so I can aim properly. A shotgun isn't as loud as my AK pistol and doesn't have the gigantic flash. It would be far more bearable

Disregard AR pistols with sigtac braces in this scenario.

franzas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    Sticking to the topic, do you think that a shotgun is going to be any more bearable indoors then a AR/AK pistol? I'm guessing not, and past comments about it not being a good gun for home defense because of sound levels is irrelevant. I believe that the noise level from both the shotgun and the AR/AK pistol are going to both be past a point, sound level wise, where one may or may not incur hearing damage and/or disorientation.

If I was in a SD/HD situation I wouldn't give a shit about hearing damage. Chances are you'd be too hopped up on adrenaline to even notice. Muzzle flash is what you need to worry about. It could very easily blind you in a dark house or nighttime street, hurting your ability to make follow-up shots or engage multiple threats. I reckon this would be a serious problem with most rifles, especially SBRs without a decent flash hider or suppressor

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I popped off a BMG round with no ear pro once. My head rang for a minute (or two) but my ears were still firmly attached.

The blindness can be offset by a good weapon light.

Just putting some perspective on it. I think the pistols would be hard to aim.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I popped off a BMG round with no ear pro once. My head rang for a minute (or two) but my ears were still firmly attached.

The blindness can be offset by a good weapon light.

Just putting some perspective on it. I think the pistols would be hard to aim.

Hence, use a shotgun! :cyborg: You folks that still have your hearing need to be real careful. Years of extremely loud noises or maybe not so loud, but continuous, will build up and when you get 50 or 60 you'll be saying "huh?" a lot. Then it'll be too damn late! I worked in a manufacturing plant, worked construction, shot in the military and while hunting ..................... and didn't thing anything of it. I still hear voices but they sound muffled unless I'm close and the person speaking enunciates clearly. Take care of your ears, boys!

(hearing aids won't help much, if any!)

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    If I was in a SD/HD situation I wouldn't give a shit about hearing damage. Chances are you'd be too hopped up on adrenaline to even notice. Muzzle flash is what you need to worry about. It could very easily blind you in a dark house or nighttime street, hurting your ability to make follow-up shots or engage multiple threats. I reckon this would be a serious problem with most rifles, especially SBRs without a decent flash hider or suppressor

You posted about sound levels earlier and that is why I was addressing it.
    I also never claimed I was for one or the other. I just took issue with sound levels between the two platforms in HD/indoor situation.
    I never addressed muzzle flash.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Hence, use a shotgun! :cyborg: You folks that still have your hearing need to be real careful. Years of extremely loud noises or maybe not so loud, but continuous, will build up and when you get 50 or 60 you'll be saying "huh?" a lot. Then it'll be too damn late! I worked in a manufacturing plant, worked construction, shot in the military and while hunting ..................... and didn't thing anything of it. I still hear voices but they sound muffled unless I'm close and the person speaking enunciates clearly. Take care of your ears, boys!

(hearing aids won't help much, if any!)

And the sound of that shotgun bouncing around inside the house won't be much better.

The point I was making is that one instance of an immediate load noise probably won't cause you to lose all hearing from that point on, although even mowing the lawn causes some damage.

I'll risk my hearing to use the weapon I feel is best suited at stopping the threat(s).esp when an alternative weapon is only going to be marginally less damaging.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Agreed! I sure wouldn't worry about it, even knowing what I know now, if I had to defend my family or home from thugs. I'm careful now when I shooting for recreation. It won't go all at once and it won't hurt much a little at a time but it does build up and you hardly notice until it's too late. Even on equipment such as tractors, dozers, motorcycles, using saws, etc. you should wear at least the small foam protectors.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Spent a long time not worrying about it, then decided I should. Mowing the lawn is a big one for me now.

Still don't use it with shotguns, rimfire, or when hunting, but maybe someday I'll get to that point.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I keep a set of electronic muffs next to the bed......

an overbearing attorney might argue to a jury that you were planning on using your weapon against a poor home intruder and were prepared with ear muffs, and could paint you in a bad light to the jury. Tread lightly...

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    An overbearing attorney might say the same about having a gun by the bed. Why wasn't it locked in the safe with ammo stored in a separate location?

I think much of the "what if a lawyer" stuff is overplayed.

franzas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA
    an overbearing attorney might argue to a jury that you were planning on using your weapon against a poor home intruder and were prepared with ear muffs, and could paint you in a bad light to the jury. Tread lightly...

according to what I've read from TLS, stuff like that is a non-point in Texas. The point is you used a firearm to defend yourself/family/property. Look at the circumstances of why you used your firearm, not what preparations you make to use it. It's like saying you keep bullets in your gun because you plan to use it on someone.

We have these self-defense laws for a reason. Texas' law is very cut and dry. I wouldn't worry about muffs. If anything, you could say you wear them to help you sleep. I've worn them a few times to block out unwanted noise

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Years of standing in front of full stacks have blown my ears. I'm probably legally deaf. I still wear hearing protection. Sometimes at the range someone will shoot a rifle near me while I'm not wearing ear protection. The concussion is what bothers. Pistols aren't too bad.

Top Bottom