• ...and so much more!
  • Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    We recently saw the government ban import of a certain rifle round because it has armor piercing capabilities and can be used in a certain type of handgun. I don't remember all the details, but can pull up the link if you just absolutely haven't heard about this.

This makes me wonder....will Green Tip 5.56 ammo, and other similar types of ammo find themselves in the governments sights now that AR/AK pistols are becoming more popular? What do you guys think?

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    IMO- I hate these pistols. I just don't have a need or want. I think if we could own sbrs easier these pistols would gradually go away.
    I feel the same about pistol grip shotguns.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    IMO- I hate these pistols. I just don't have a need or want. I think if we could own sbrs easier these pistols would gradually go away.
    I feel the same about pistol grip shotguns.

I'm glad you started that off with IMO, otherwise we'd have to have a talk about the shotguns.

evymypyj.jpg

mubehusu.jpg

a6u5ere8.jpg

gatupavy.jpg

AR and AK pistols to me (IMO) are only useful while waiting on stamps.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    IIRC, M855 (aka "green-tip") is actually exempted by name in the same law that got the 7N6 (wrongfully, IMHO - it meets none of the criteria outlined) banned from import.

That said, if it was gonna happen, it would've been done a -long- time ago.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    IMO-I LOVE pistol grip shotguns, while I'm "meh" about AK/AR pistols. I agree with the sentiment that the only thing they're good for is if you're waiting on SBR stamps.

I've heard talk that reviews on ammunition are being pushed. I'm really hoping nothing comes of the reviews.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Don't own one, don't care to. Don't have a problem with them either.

People buy and shoot what they like, if I were to walk in hog country I can see an AK pistol bein nice.

Got 30 rounds of commie fury at your disposal in a lightweight and easy to carry package.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    if I were to walk in hog country I can see an AK pistol bein nice.

Got 30 rounds of commie fury at your disposal in a lightweight and easy to carry package.

Fine. Bring your AK pistol with you on my land. The hogs will kill you. I take a slug gun on my back and a full frame .45 on my hip whenever I'm walking in the woods for any reason.

Filling feeders, replacing field camera batteries, replacing cards in field cameras, whatever.

always packing large heat.

Last edited:

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    IIRC, M855 (aka "green-tip") is actually exempted by name in the same law that got the 7N6 (wrongfully, IMHO - it meets none of the criteria outlined) banned from import.

That said, if it was gonna happen, it would've been done a -long- time ago.

This is my impression also.

NOLA Jack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Fine. Bring your AK pistol with you on my land. The hogs will kill you. I take a slug gun on my back and a full frame .45 on my hip whenever I'm walking in the woods for any reason.

Filling feeders, replacing field camera batteries, replacing cards in field cameras, whatever.

You think that 45 has better lethality than 7n6?

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America

I've killed countless hogs with 22lr because that's my walking around gun. 1 shot has always done it for me. I shot one with birdshot and it didn't do shit. Luckily it was close to my neighbor and his dad got it with his 243. These hogs aren't robocop. Just shoot them.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    I wouldn't suggest it being a first or second firearm or even a go to weapon, but when you have a bunch of AR's and AK's why not throw one in for good measure, at least as far as I see it.

As far as the M855, I suppose it would suck to for some if they decided to take away the exemption, but I don't see it having the same effect for those users as the 7n6 ban has on it's buyers. The 7n6 was cheap surplus and was the reason many people went over to the 5.45 platform. It also gave balance to the pricing of the commercial 5.45. Without it, you have the potential of the commercial ammo going up in price and I think some are worried about that too. If 855 went away tomorrow, I don't see it having the same effect as it is priced at or above other choices on the market.

Now the SigBrace for these pistols is something I have been watching... I know there is the ATF exemption letter for them, and perhaps I am wrong, but I just don't trust the ATF to not do an about face with their decision on them. That doesn't mean I don't have them, seeing as I am the actual target market for them.:p I just don't think they will be available for very long. Again, that isn't based on facts, just a thought I have. Take it or leave it.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    Now the SigBrace for these pistols is something I have been watching... I know there is the ATF exemption letter for them, and perhaps I am wrong, but I just don't trust the ATF to not do an about face with their decision on them. That doesn't mean I don't have them, seeing as I am the actual target market for them.:p I just don't think they will be available for very long. Again, that isn't based on facts, just a thought I have. Take it or leave it.

I've been watching the SigBrace as well. I couldn't believe that the BATFE let that one pass when I first saw it. I can understand and see a need for such a device for it's "Target Market" but I think that everyone knows what they're really being used for.
    I really hate to say it but I think we are going to see a BATFE reversal on a number of "handicap assist" items in the near future including the SigBrace, bump stocks, TacCon 3M trigger (and similar devices), etc...
    I also think that the days are numbered for substances like Tannerite as well. I hate that I have to think the way I do but history has proven that it can and probably will happen. We've seen them reverse before.
    So have fun while you can with such devices. Just don't get too attached to them.

I hope I'm wrong.

Oh, and damn I hope they don't f'k with the M855 supply. Absolutely my favorite AR round. That's all I have to say about that because I am not knowledgable enough of the supply chain issues to say anything else.

Last edited:

OnyxATX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I don't see M855 as being in the same league. Sure there are AR/AK pistols, but I don't think they really fall into the same category when it comes to actual use the realm of actual use.

AR/AK pistols can be great toys, truck guns, pig dispatchers, and home defense options. The last of course having a situation that allows for what are usually rifle rounds and ear protection. If Glock came out with a 5.56 pistol somehow and said "Look at how much penetration you can have with a M855 round!" Then everyone started going "I want that Glock that shoots the M855 armor piercing rounds!" ... well, it may be a different story. They may revisit things.

According to the ATF (and I'm can't find this link) I was pretty sure that they don't consider M855 to be an AP round after evaluation.
    Also, there are neglected thoughts of the pistol vs SBR comments (not here specifically but in general)... you are able to take a small package that shoots 'rifle rounds' across most state lines, you can let someone else shoot it if you aren't around, and not pay $200 stamps or deal with absurd wait times as well as change out lowers.

(Yes, you can drop pigs with 5.56, and 7.62x39 is a good round for it as well. Behind the ears with 5.56 will do a good job, the only time 5.56 is an issue is if you have lower velocity and rounds that don't penetrate well for a heart/lung shot as their armor can slow the round down too much for dropping the hog fast.) Plenty of people have dropped them with .22LR. At 50 yards, I would rather unload with a AR/AK pistol than a bolt action where I could maybe get one more shot off if it charged.)

Edwarethered

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    La Marque, Texas
    I personally think it was a convenient way for the government to kill 2 birds with one stone. 1, attempt to stick it to Russia (like it would really matter to them) and 2. keep yet another calibre of low cost ammo out of our hands. But then again, i've been accused of overthinking these things before.

Top Bottom