• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • twain55

Texan
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'm going to be doing my first AR build soon. Although I'm experienced in the operation and maintenance of AR style rifles I have never built one.

I've done a lot of research and it generally appears to be a straight forward process. Especially with the right tools, which I believe I have most of.

My one concern is with confirming correct headspace. Since this rifle is not assembled and tested by the manufacturer it seems like this should be an important step to be taking to ensure safe operation.

What is y'all experience with checking headspace?

I don't anticipate building more rifles. This is mostly just a learning experience for me so I don't want to spend additional money on go/no go gauges.

Some of the information I've found says it's more convenient to check headspace before the barrel is installed so I would like to do this before I get started.

Do local gunsmiths here in the San Antonio area do this? How much do they charge?

Are there any fellow TGT members that own the go/no go gauges that can assist with this?

Thank you.
    Hurley's Gold

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    My thoughts are: Go ahead and build it. If you are concerned about the head space, take it to a gunsmith and have it checked. Not much you can do to correct it anyway, other than switching bolts.

99.44 per cent of the time, you will not have headspace problems.

Last edited:

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Exactly. Headspace is almost never a concern unless you are using very old parts. If everything is new or almost new the gun will headspace. If you are still worried about it buy a field gauge. You should have one anyway. You don't need the go or the no-go since your not cutting the chamber. If the bolt closes on the field you need a new bolt. It's very easy to use the field gauge. Finger pressure only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    I've never head spaced any of my builds and never had a problem. And the only way to fix it is with a different bolt or remove some of the barrel where it meets the barrel extension. If you're concerned about head space, consider buying a barrel and bolt from a supplier that will check head space for you. The only supplier I know that does that is AR15 Performance out of Tennessee. Excellent quality barrels and bolts. His super bolts rarely break since they have redesigned the bolt it to make it stronger plus use a stronger alloy compared to most AR bolts. Their barrels are very accurate too.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I don't measure headspace per say, but I do have a Colt 556 field gauge from Brownells. Every maker can make a lemon here and there. At 50000 psi next to your face the $25 and 30 sec to do a safety check is well worth it IMO.

twain55

Texan
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    San Antonio
    Out of curiosity, I called a few places around town to get an idea of what a gunsmith would charge to check headspace.

Here are the prices:

Dale Wise, $22
    Dury's, $55
    Texas Guns, $40
    Ranger Firearms, $30
    Nagles, $100
    Gun Shack, $35

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston

twain55

Texan
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    San Antonio

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I can't speak for the other guys but the 5.56x35 case is over built. It can safely take expansion far beyond what most rifle rounds can handle. Some machine guns and rifles have very loose chambers that while designed to feed the cases reliably also swell them to the point many people consider them dangerous to reload. The M249 SAW comes to mind.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    I can't speak for the other guys but the 5.56x35 case is over built. It can safely take expansion far beyond what most rifle rounds can handle. Some machine guns and rifles have very loose chambers that while designed to feed the cases reliably also swell them to the point many people consider them dangerous to reload. The M249 SAW comes to mind.

I'm not familiar with the 5.56x35

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    50000 psi by your face. $30 and 30 seconds vs blind trust that something didn't slip through statistical QC sampling. That's a lot of faith.

You fire every factory loaded round based on that same faith.

Just sayin....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    50000 psi by your face. $30 and 30 seconds vs blind trust that something didn't slip through statistical QC sampling. That's a lot of faith.

Well I've built plenty and none have blown up. And there are literally millions in circulation that are the same. Headspacing an AR is literally not regarded as a general practice. A precision bolt rifle yes; an AR not so much. But do whatever makes you sleep better at night.

You would really flip out I guess if you knew every time you send the bolt home that the firing pin hits the primer hard enough to put a dent in it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom