Join TexasGunTalk

AR Build

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by kirk10100, Nov 27, 2018.

1. kirk10100

kirk10100 Active Member

Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    I’ve been wanting to get an AR built for me using parts that are better than a pre assembled AR. I’m not looking for top of the line as budget is a factor but not super cheap. Doing some research, I see so many options and prices. So my question, what are some recommendations from this group?
    I like an Aero Precision lower but I’ve also seen some reasonably priced Noveske lowers.
    Barrels?
    Hand guards?
    Upper?
    Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Pictures will be posted when completed.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orbie likes this.
  2. FireInTheWire

FireInTheWire Smooth like a tidal wave. Take you on a getaway. TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2018
    Big Country
    Watching this one. Looking forward to learning.

3. Orbie

Orbie Born Texan TGT Supporter

Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Ground Zero Precision/Phillip is a site sponsor. He sells Aero Precision blanks. You could also purchase the blank lower and an assembled upper from him by choosing your barrel, bcg, handguard, etc.

I’ve purchased from him on more than one occasion and always am happy. Make sure to tell him you’re from TGT.

Bradmartin78 likes this.
  4. Ozzman

Ozzman Active Member

Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    Here is my opinion:
    - Lower (RF85 Anderson Lower - for desert conditions)
    - Barrel (Odin Works .223 Wylde Barrel in 1:9 twist)
    - Handguard (B5 Systems lightweight)
    - Upper (RF85 Anderson Upper - again, for desert conditions)

5. easy rider

easy rider Allotropic Transformer TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I found great deals through Aero, so most my 300 BLK has Aero Precision parts (I really like their Atlas-S). I also had Aero set the gas block on the barrel. I used Ground Zero (DeadBolt, Nickel Boron) bolt group, Rise Armament drop in trigger (454), Odin Works minimalist buttstock, buffer and their Atlas-7 compensator.

I initially meant to build it for under $800, but ended up spending about $1300. It's pretty easy to go crazy. I spent a lot of time doing research online trying to figure out what works best without breaking the bank. I'm not saying to build yours like mine, just that there is a lot out there and a lot of information that can help.

(Oh yeah, make sure you have the proper tools, makes it a lot less frustrating.)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  6. GonzoLonzo

GonzoLonzo Member

Sep 18, 2015
    Schertz
    Hey Bud, with just a few tools you can build your own complete upper and lower. It's pretty easy. Plus once you build one, you will build others so best to get the tools.

In my opinion, the most important parts on an AR are the barrel, bcg and trigger. Everything else is just cosmetics. What is going to be the main purpose of this rifle? Shtf, range fun, accurate varmint or all around general purpose rifle. For an accurate build there are good barrels that cost a lot. For shtf, Bravo Company makes excellent barrels. For all around rifle I like AR15Performance. Their barrels are good quality 5150cmv barrels with 5r and 3r rifling. They are pretty accurate too. As far as upper and lower receivers, getting PSA will save you some money and they are still good quality. Most of my builds have PSA and I have never had any issues over the years. I also have spikes, aero and a few others just because I liked the roll mark on them. As far as bcg, Bravo Company has excellent ones. I like Midwest Industries handguards. They are really slim and light. I have them on most of my builds and have had them for many years without issue. As for grips, I like Magpul MOE K2 grips. They are more vertical than most grips and they feel more comfortable to me. With triggers, there are so many options and you can spend a lot of money. You need to decide if you want single stage, double stage, straight trigger or curved. There are so many options but I am trying to keep this short and not write a novel.

deemus and FireInTheWire like this.
  7. GonzoLonzo

GonzoLonzo Member

Sep 18, 2015
    Schertz
    20181128_152847.jpg

Here are a couple of my builds. The upper one has a spikes lower, Fn barrel 4150 cmv cold hammer forged and chrome lined. Bravo Company BCG. A Midwest industries handguard and Magpul CTR stock. I topped it off with a Vortex Viper PST 1-4.
    The bottom rifle has a Aero lower. It's the no pew, pew, pew pew pew markings for safe and fire. It's a 6.8 AR15Performance barrel. PSA premium BCG. It also has a Midwest handguard same stock and topped with a Vortex Viper 2-7 scope.
    Not counting the scopes, I have around $800 invested in each.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  8. easy rider

easy rider Allotropic Transformer TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I really like Ergogrip, they cost about the same.

9. equin

equin Active Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Waxahachie, TX
    I had bought a Stag lower from a LGS with the intent of doing a build over time as I gathered the necessary parts. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to get a mix-match of different brand parts or stick with all Stag parts. In the end I stuck with all Stag parts, with the exception of a Bravo Company lower parts kit that came with their “enhanced” trigger. I guess it all worked out because I later used and somewhat abused it in a 10K Run n Gun Biathlon last month where it performed flawlessly, despite getting literally full of mud, wet, accidentally scraped and banged up on tree trunks, limbs, fencing and dragged along two corrugated steel culverts. It never once jammed or malfunctioned under those conditions and still allowed me to make two 500-yard gong hits at the distance stage while prone on a wet, muddy platform.

deemus likes this.
  10. Sam7sf

Sam7sf Well-Known

Apr 13, 2018
    Bedford
    You chose wisely.

equin likes this.