• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I got three lowers I will be building. I’ll include links to what I buy Incase it stirs up some ideas for your guys builds.

Please do.

I have a stripped Aero lower, a stripped A2 RRA upper and no idea what I want to do with them. I'm thinking a CMMG 22 LR or 458 SOCOM build.
    Hurley's Gold

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Easy question for you guys that build. My uneducated understanding is one can make a pistol into a rifle (with a longer barrel) but it's illegal (?) to make a rifle into a pistol. Does that sound correct?
    Basically...yes. You can go one way but you cannot go back. A lot of the law is based on "intent". If you have a rifle then your obvious intent was to own a rifle. If you change it to a shorter barrel, your original intent was a rifle therefore.....

So you cannot drop back to a pistol once a lower is intended for a rifle. These are the "laymen" terms.

The key to it, that you want to be very careful of, is not turning anything into a SBR (accidently without a stamp). The other thing to be aware of is having the adjustable (stock) buffer tube.....not a pistol. Pistols can only have a non-adjustable brace with a buffer tube to match (slick, no adjustment slots).

Same thought process on a brace. You can shoulder it (now) but you cannot have "intent" to shoulder it (as a rifle). What is intent? Taping some padding to the end of the blade. That shows "intent" to shoulder it. (just an example)

If you intend to play in the build/rifle/pistol arena you should REALLY familiarize yourself with the laws that pertain to this. This is a VERY sticky area and I do NOT know all the ins-and-outs.

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Easy question for you guys that build. My uneducated understanding is one can make a pistol into a rifle (with a longer barrel) but it's illegal (?) to make a rifle into a pistol. Does that sound correct?
    Technically that is correct. Hypothetically, if you built a rifle from a stripped lower and then took that same lower and built an AR pistol with a brace instead of stock, I would recommend stating that the lower was always used for a pistol.

I wouldn't recommend buying a fully built AR rifle and then use that lower in a pistol.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Please do.

I have a stripped Aero lower, a stripped A2 RRA upper and no idea what I want to do with them. I'm thinking a CMMG 22 LR or 458 SOCOM build.
    I’m thinking one lower with an a2 extension tube for target 6.8/224 valk. One carbine in 458, and another carbine in 25-45 sharps.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Please do.

CMMG 22LR Plug and play in your standard AR.

What a guy may want is very relative. I like DeltaTeamTactical. Cheap stuff, does what I want it to do, goes bang. Many like Palmetto, I do to. Mid range quality? Primary arms Brownells etc. Top end equipment? Just go to LaRue.

Sign up at these places for email blast's everyday. Super pricing but you have to be prepared to ACT QUICKLY when specials pop up. Inventory seems to move quickly these days depending on what company you go with. Fun to shop everyday but dont think you can go back after a month and find the same deal. Another deal practically the same WILL come along quickly but product seems to move quickly in the AR market.

Most kits and uppers do NOT come with a BCG. Its a real plus when they do but, for example, Primary has BCG's on for 59-69 bucks every couple of months. So does PSA (Palmetto State Armory)

All depends on what YOU want.

EDIT...Karri's Guns is also a fun inexpensive place to look around.

b2b9-3238f1cb6cbe.jpg&t=1546722525&ymreqid=c42090fe-03a6-fe83-01d8-f5010d010000&sig=6ykAoY9G5xgy.jpg

Davidson Defense "Strike" Complete Pistol Kit 7" Nitride 5.56 NATO 1-7 Twist Barrel 7.2" Mod Pro KAK Blade LPK - Minus Lower and BCG

On sale $279.95

Last edited:

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Lol that’s so cheap it’s worth the risk for one of us to order and report back
    Im sooo tempted. My only holdup is I dont have a BCG for it....which is a shame considering how many lowers and BCG's for 5.56 I have.

Bought a few rifles (kits) from them. When they says "match grade" you may really get something special that they bought out. I ended up with the match grade barrel from Colt on one of my builds. They also sent a kit with the wrong barrel once. A simple phone call and a couple days later the correct barrel showed up. Very nice.

My other concern is I dont have a place to stretch out to that 500-1000 range, nor do I have the glass.

All things to be considered.

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    Pistols can only have a non-adjustable brace with a buffer tube to match (slick, no adjustment slots).

While I completely agree with the rest of your post, and at one time would not have made an exception for the quoted part (that was my understanding for a long time as well), I believe there may be some additional nuance to this.

Particularly, with regard to the SBA3 Pistol Brace, that's an adjustable brace which uses a standard adjustable carbine buffer tube. Kak also has a similar one, but they use a proprietary adjustable tube.

Not sure how the exemption for the SBA3/etc. works exactly with having a standard adjustable tube, but it seems to be good enough for all the FFLs selling factory pistols with them.

Just figured was worth mentioning...

Last edited:

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Not sure how the exemption for the SBA3/etc. works exactly with having a standard adjustable tube, but it seems to be good enough for all the FFLs selling factory pistols with them.

Just figured was worth mentioning...
    Me either....and your right about the new adjustable blades. Its moving so fast its hard to keep up and I'd be the first one to admit that I cant. I had actually forgotten about those. I dont know how they are getting around the rules.

Kinda like those full rifle stocks that HOLD a handgun in place but are not attached. Your grip on the pistol is the only connection. I would not care to have one but I chuckle at the hilarity/ingenuity of someone getting around the word "attached" like that.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I’m thinking one lower with an a2 extension tube for target 6.8/224 valk. One carbine in 458, and another carbine in 25-45 sharps.

Originally I envisioned an A2 franken build of some kind but I've cooled on the idea. This sounds weird but ARs are starting to bore me. I'd rather build one than shoot it.

CMMG 22LR Plug and play in your standard AR.

I had looked at that. I have to see how they work with the 1:9 twist barrel I have.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    I'd rather build one than shoot it.
    I really enjoy building.

I had looked at that (CMMG 22LR bolt). I have to see how they work with the 1:9 twist barrel I have.
    I havent gotten one yet. Another item I really want. Read a lot of good things about them.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I don’t have/make much time to shoot. But I can build at nights or on the weekends.

And heaven help me when lowers are on sale. I’ve reigned myself in recently, haven’t bought one in a while. Building is fun and really teaches you a lot. I’ve built CHEAP, and I’ve built pretty pricey. I like building different styles though most seem to follow a similar design. Long range, CQB, battle ready, 3 gun, etc. Latest build is M16A4 clone like I had in the Corps.

Top Bottom