• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kenj8172

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2008
    Houston
    Hello All,
    I am interested in building my own AR, but I don't have the slightest idea of what it takes. Is this a job that an amateur like myself should tackle? Also, What is the cost effectiveness in comparison to buying a $1000 Bushmaster? Thanks in advance for your time!

Also, If someone could list the major parts needed, that would be helpful also!
    Lynx Defense

gladi8r

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    There pretty easy to build plus there is a buttload of videos on it on youtube. Your gonna need a lower a lower parts kit and stock. An upper a barrel and a barrel parts kit, there is alot of variables when it comes to barrels and sights and gas systems do you want a carbine or midlength. If I were you I would find a good deal on a upper then buy a lower and a lower parts kit and put it together. Your gonna need a bolt carrier group, a charging handle, sights all kinds of stuff you need to research alot and find out what you want. Try ar15.com they got a hole section dedicated to building your own ar. Good luck

TSU45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    +1 on both recommendations for ar15.com when it comes to building your own. It was the only resource I used for building my first. If your not in a hurry to get it built right away, you can wait for great deals on used parts at that site.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    It is easy to build. You can get the exact rifle you want by building. By building it first, you will have the knowledge to fix it if it breaks later. The easiest way to build one is to get a stripped lower and then look in Shotgun news for one of the complete kits to build your own. The kit is complete, less stripped lower and can be shipped directly to your house. The first lower I put together took me almost two hours. The next one took about twenty minutes. I was really over analyzing it the first time.

derdek

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I used a youtube video to assemble my lower. The instructions on ar15.com were helpful in figuring out which part was which. For the upper I just went with a complete upper. The lower's easy enough to do on your own and I imagine the upper isn't too bad as well. I just didn't want to invest in additional tools to assemble the upper.

Only real pain was getting in the pivot pin. That detente can take out an eye. The thing actually popped my lower lip when I let the razor blade slip while putting in my new YHM pins. Hurt like a mother. And be careful when putting in the bolt catch. Very easy to scratch the lower.

YouTube - Assembling an AR-15 Stripped Lower 1 of 2

Lmccrock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Red Rock. TX
    I am working (slowly) on my first build. As for cost effectiveness of building it yourself, the 1st one costs more because there are a few low cost tools (under $100, maybe less). Depends on what you already have at home. The 2nd build and so on are less expensive.

Another way to look at it, building your own is VERY expensive - "Black Rifle Disease" - because you can never stop at one.

Lee

propellerhead

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Easiest way to "build" is to buy a complete upper and a complete lower the put the two halves together. The second easiest way is to buy a stripped lower and a kit. The kit will come with a complete upper and all the parts to attach to your stripped lower with basic household tools. Or you can buy all the part and put it all together but you'll need special tools for the upper.

kenj8172

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2008
    Houston
    thanks for all your help guys... I think this is the way I want to go. I'll make sure to post some pics when I'm one too!

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I assembled 2, and am not sure that I saved a whole bunch... maybe around $300 give or take. Assembly of the lower is the easiest and will only require basic tools you may already have. I havent done an upper yet, just both complete uppers to stack onto my assembled lowers. Next project is to build me an upper complete.

The best part of building your own, especially if youre on a budget is that you can buy the parts as the funds become available and continue to make progress on the project. Not to mention that you get exactly what you want and how you want it.

jracca

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    DFW
    I have two stripped lowers I am building and I never thought of it as a way to save money, more to get what I want. I think I am gonna sell my Bushmaster to finish the projects, its just more fun.​

nhm16

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    I assembled 2, and am not sure that I saved a whole bunch... maybe around $300 give or take. Assembly of the lower is the easiest and will only require basic tools you may already have. I havent done an upper yet, just both complete uppers to stack onto my assembled lowers. Next project is to build me an upper complete.

The best part of building your own, especially if youre on a budget is that you can buy the parts as the funds become available and continue to make progress on the project. Not to mention that you get exactly what you want and how you want it.

Truth. Plus these days it may be the only way to find an upper. My first AR, I built the lower and bought an LMT upper. My second, I built the upper too... it was surprisingly easy if you have the tools, it was a lot of fun, and it gave me a lot of satisfaction. The only thing I have to have done professionally is to have the gas block pinned (my built upper has an SPR style gas block with set screws... even though it's covered by the rail, I'm not 100% comfortable with that).

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I built all 3 of my AR's, other than having a professional gunsmith do the barrel fit because I don't have the right tools for that. I use mostly "higher end" parts in my AR's so it saves me money compared to buying a stock AR and then swapping out everything that I would replace with after market part. Not to mention having a pile of stock AR parts laying around the house would be a PITA.

O.S.O.K.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Go with a del-ton rifle kit and a stripped lower - should run you about $700 at today's inflated lower cost.

Piece of cake to assemble - directions available on arfcom (ar15.com) and as mentioned, youtube.

dcs12345

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Temple
    +1 for del-ton for kits ( just be ready to wait a few months as they are extremely backordered

stay away from model1 sales in my opinion.

If you just want a complete upper try ar15sales.com (Pete is a great guy to deal with)

ar15.com is a great source for information and the equipment exchange section has gret deals from time to time.

Top Bottom