AR Experts? Spent case jam.. W/pics

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by accordingtoome, Apr 21, 2009.

1. accordingtoome

accordingtoome Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Went to the range this last weekend for the second time with my new DPMS rifle. First time out was 2 months ago. 300 rds of wolf steel case/ no issues/jams at all. took it home cleaned it and put it away.

took it out this time and first shot fired, case jam. cleared it, another jam, cleared it.. another jam. 3 shots 3 jams. Same ammo except for the last round was federal BTHP brass,

As far as i can tell the extractor will not let the case go. No matter what i did i could not pry it out. finally i had to ease the case back into the barrel and just take the upper off and slide the bolt out. as soon as the bolt slides out the case just falls off. :headscratch:

2. accordingtoome

Oct 13, 2008
    no one>?

3. baboon

baboon Well-Known

it's that laquer coated shit ammo

4. akarfal

akarfal Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Johnson county
    DPMS is an ammo specific rifle. If I remember, the none chrome barrel needs a special break in.

Looks like wolf ammo. The extractor only grabs shell case, the ejector in the bolt kicks the case out. Check the ejector and spring, may be stuck .

5. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Can't be sure from the pics. Is the extractor on the correct side? It does not look like it.

And please, jam is for your toast. :devil: That is a FTE (Fail to Eject)

6. jdh

jdh Active Member

Mar 2, 2008
    It sure looks to me like your bolt is in backwards. The ejector is pushing the case into the action instead of out the ejection port.

7. gladi8r

gladi8r Active Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Troy Tx
    +1 extractor looks outta place and my dpms eats it all and is sub moa with privi partizan and wolf 55 gr

8. accordingtoome

Oct 13, 2008
    hmmm can you? i didn't think you could.

9. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Its backwards.

Pull your charging handle back some so you can see the bolt thru the ejection port. The extractor should be visible there, and it is not.

10. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Yes, you can install it wrong. It only fits in 2 positions, correct and incorrect (which is 180 degrees off).

See below link for a video of how to disassemble and reassemble it. However, if the OP took it apart to clean, they can do the same, but rotate it 180 degrees this time.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/NewsletterArchive.aspx?x=v&p=0&t=1&i=866