• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • accordingtoome

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Went to the range this last weekend for the second time with my new DPMS rifle. First time out was 2 months ago. 300 rds of wolf steel case/ no issues/jams at all. took it home cleaned it and put it away.

took it out this time and first shot fired, case jam. cleared it, another jam, cleared it.. another jam. 3 shots 3 jams. Same ammo except for the last round was federal BTHP brass,

As far as i can tell the extractor will not let the case go. No matter what i did i could not pry it out. finally i had to ease the case back into the barrel and just take the upper off and slide the bolt out. as soon as the bolt slides out the case just falls off.
    Military Camp

akarfal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Johnson county
    DPMS is an ammo specific rifle. If I remember, the none chrome barrel needs a special break in.

Looks like wolf ammo. The extractor only grabs shell case, the ejector in the bolt kicks the case out. Check the ejector and spring, may be stuck .

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Can't be sure from the pics. Is the extractor on the correct side? It does not look like it.

And please, jam is for your toast. That is a FTE (Fail to Eject)

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    It sure looks to me like your bolt is in backwards. The ejector is pushing the case into the action instead of out the ejection port.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    just so i and many others that aren't familiar with the AR's will know...

is it possible to install the bolt backwards/upside down in the carrier...?

Yes, you can install it wrong. It only fits in 2 positions, correct and incorrect (which is 180 degrees off).

See below link for a video of how to disassemble and reassemble it. However, if the OP took it apart to clean, they can do the same, but rotate it 180 degrees this time.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/NewsletterArchive.aspx?x=v&p=0&t=1&i=866

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yes it is extremely possible to install the extractor 180 degrees off. I know on my M16 the bolt had a relief on the sides of the pin opening for visual reference to ensure proper installation.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    One side of the carrier key hole in the bolt should be peened so that you can't do this...

If it had had this issue out of the box, I'd swear that he had a left-handed bolt in the rifle.

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    The microwave takes about 4 minutes to pop the popcorn so I had some time to kill. The bolt in the pic is backwards, and neither the S&W M&P15 nor Colt 6920 bolts can be installed that way.

beefsalad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    My first time firing my DPMS I had it in bassackwards...Fortunately there was someone at the range familiar with the platform and helped me extract the casing. Two days later I was nowhere near breaking it in, and burnt to a crisp!

lonewolf23c

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2008
    Idaho
    Disassemble the bolt assembly, give it a good cleaning, and when you put it back together make sure you put it together correctly. Definitely sounds like an extractor problem, possibly either a weak extractor spring, or a missing spring.

ReVrEnD_0341

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    One side of the carrier key hole in the bolt should be peened so that you can't do this...

If it had had this issue out of the box, I'd swear that he had a left-handed bolt in the rifle.

It's a DPMS. They generally don't do that. A bolt carrier group from LMT, Colt, LWRC, and similar high end manufacturers will only accept the cam pin when the bolt is in the correct position.

TSU45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    It's a DPMS. They generally don't do that. A bolt carrier group from LMT, Colt, LWRC, and similar high end manufacturers will only accept the cam pin when the bolt is in the correct position.

...Or when the bolt was been rotated 180 degrees. Every manufacture bolt carrier will accept the bolt wrong.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yes, the carriers will, but the point is that some bolts are peened at one end so the cam pin won't insert from the wrong side. If you put the bolt in the carrier backwards, the pin won't go in.

It shouldn't be hard to do it yourself. You just need a hammer and center punch. Just remember to measure twice and cut once!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom