• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Smaller in diameter at the back end where it fits in the key. Very noticeable wear too based off looking at bevel on the end of the tube (top right side of the tube looking from the back which corresponds to the leftward cant that was on my gas block before I fixed that up). Here in a bit I'll post a picture of what I'm seeing on the old tube.
    Venture Surplus ad

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    y6y3ere8.jpg

A little hard to see but the worn side is measuring .022 while the other side is measuring .030.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III

Last edited:

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Don't want to speak to soon but I've found another part out of spec (if it was by enough, IDK). Went ahead and picked up a new gas tube for 15 bucks at AGL today. First did a check in my bolt of old vs new. Old one was a loose fit, new one took some a wee bit of force to get in so definitely a better seal there. Old one measured a hundredth smaller than the new one. Perhaps I got premature wear on the old when my gas block got out of alignment. At least it wasn't so far off that I had the worst case scenario for that (which I saw at hicksville) of the gas tube and gas key getting marred to hell but it still might have been enough to break that seal enough to cause gas leakage.

Definitely didn't have the signs of overgassing (rims are quite blemish free and no flattened primers on factory loads) so I'm thinking this might be might ticket to a happy AR. We shall see though on my next range trip.

Good work.

Use this link here and scroll to CARRIER KEY-GAS TUBE INTERFERENCE CHECK: FAQ's, BASIC INSPECTIONS AND PROCEDURES

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Good work.

Use this link here and scroll to CARRIER KEY-GAS TUBE INTERFERENCE CHECK: FAQ's, BASIC INSPECTIONS AND PROCEDURES

Thanks for the link, will be saving (and probably printing out for future reference.

As can plainly be seen by my above picture, my tube experienced more wear than even the examples of the worn tubes. Well definitely do the gas tube alignment check procedure once I get a few rounds through her to wear the tube just enough to where there isn't that slight bit of resistance. There's definitely no more resistance with the tube in the upper than when I did the check before installing it so I think I've got it right this time. Will add this check also to my normal cleaning function checks.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    SUCCESS!!#!! It was the worn gas tube after all. Thanks again for all the help and glad I had this immense learning experience. I know so much more about my rifle now and feel much more confident about when i get around to doing a custom build.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    SUCCESS!!#!! It was the worn gas tube after all. Thanks again for all the help and glad I had this immense learning experience. I know so much more about my rifle now and feel much more confident about when i get around to doing a custom build.

Awesome! I was actually thinking about you today (no homo) and if you got that rifle running right.

Good to hear!

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Awesome! I was actually thinking about you today (no homo) and if you got that rifle running right.

Good to hear!

Uhhh huh....sure. No need to deny your feelings man but I'm sorry I can't reciprocate those feelings :roflsmile:

Anyways as soon as I get the proper scope rings for my new Mueller Mildot 8.5-25x in (nice looking scope btw for the price), I get to finally test my damn handloads for accuracy (and properly test for function :beat:). One other positive about this is I got to just about double my once fired brass stock while doing this fix (musta fired at least 400 trying to figure out the problem).

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom