• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hotshot12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I was looking at getting an AR style rifle for hunting/ culling hogs and coyotes. I was looking at DPMS and Rock Rivers. The calibers I was looking at were the 6.8 SPC, .308, and of course the 5.56, but I found something interesting from DPMS. They offer several other calibers like the .260 Rem, .204 Ruger, 243, and the 6.5 Creedmore. Out of the calibers offered I personally like the 6.8, because it has better ballistics than the 308, but what I would like to know is how would a .260 cycle through and what are your recommendations for my first AR.
    Capitol Armory ad

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    The deer around where I shoot aren't exactly monsters. I agree with High-Cap. Use good bullets and make good shots.

Do you reload?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    the .204 .223 and 6.8spc will be in an AR-15 the others will be in an AR-10 considerably more expensive do do a longer upper receiver lower receiver and bolt assembly, you can go with the 6.5 grendel in the ar-15 platform

personally i will be hunting this year with my 5.56 AR i built with a 1:7'' twist barrel and same hole repeatability i have no worries using it on a neck/headshot with barnes 75 gr tsx bullets or similar for 200-300 yds or less...

the main thing is knowing your trajectory and your rifle, and if you don't think you can take the shot, don't.

I'd have to go with "if you don't know you can make the shot, don't take it."

I was looking at getting an AR style rifle for hunting/ culling hogs and coyotes. I was looking at DPMS and Rock Rivers. The calibers I was looking at were the 6.8 SPC, .308, and of course the 5.56, but I found something interesting from DPMS. They offer several other calibers like the .260 Rem, .204 Ruger, 243, and the 6.5 Creedmore. Out of the calibers offered I personally like the 6.8, because it has better ballistics than the 308, but what I would like to know is how would a .260 cycle through and what are your recommendations for my first AR.

As noted, the .308, .243, .260 and other full-house rounds are for a longer-action AR. The DPMS isn't a true AR-10, but a stretched AR-15, but it works like one. ;)

I don't see how the 6.8 has better ballistics than .308... It's an intermediate and doesn't come anywhere near a full-power round like .308.

The answer is going to come down to: what are you hunting and where. If you've already got an AR and don't plan on flinging shots out past about 200 yards, 6.8 would be gangbusters for what you're doing.

glock9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    I've been using a 6.8SPC AR15 for the past 3 years and have yet to meet a deer that it would not drop on the spot.

I hand load using Barnes Triple SX bullets with excellent results. 115 grain moving at 2800fps

Reverendbiker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2008
    Central Texas
    +1.
    For about three years I've used an AR-15 in 6.8SPC as my ranch rifle and couldn't be happier. I carry it in the gun rack of my Rhino as I work on the ranch and have used only 110-gr Sierra Pro Hunter bullets (mostly hand loads). It has dropped two nice bucks (both in their tracks), assorted coyotes and foxes, and over 125 feral hogs. Compact, reliable, low-recoil, accurate. The only problem is that my .308 and other AR's hardly ever leave the gun safe...

I've been using a 6.8SPC AR15 for the past 3 years and have yet to meet a deer that it would not drop on the spot.

I hand load using Barnes Triple SX bullets with excellent results. 115 grain moving at 2800fps

Hotshot12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Thanks for the help on the cartridge, but now as for the manufacturer. For y'all black rifle owners what are some of the better AR makers. Price is not much of a factor here. I was mainly looking at DPMS and rock rivers. Both I can get in a 6.8 and I have heard lots of good things about them, but Im still open for others opinions. All info is appreciated.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    If cost is not a concern, I would take a serious look at having either a custom upper built by AR Performance or a pre-built upper or complete rifle from Wilson Combat. The r&d work these guys have put into building uppers for the 6.8 cartridge is class-leading and most mainstream mfr's are playing catch-up. As an aside, if you don't reload, your best bet for ammo is going to be Silver State Armory. Even Hornady is not nearly as far along as SSA is with 6.8 development. Lastly, for more info than you'll know what to do with, check out 68forums.com.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Thanks for the help on the cartridge, but now as for the manufacturer. For y'all black rifle owners what are some of the better AR makers. Price is not much of a factor here. I was mainly looking at DPMS and rock rivers. Both I can get in a 6.8 and I have heard lots of good things about them, but Im still open for others opinions. All info is appreciated.

Most big name AR makers are good. Just avoid these three and you'll avoid most of the bad brands:

Olympic
    Bushmaster
    Model 1 Sales

Good brands are all over, but those three are bottom of the barrel.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Add Blackthorne/Hesse/Vulcan or whatever they call themselves these days to the list of AR makers to avoid. I'm not sure I'd group Bushmaster in with those other three. They're not great, but they're not that bad... CMMG would probably be the best bang for your buck.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas

I would suggest getting a platform in a common caliber and hence having parts and accessories that are readily obtainable. Also, most or all of the non-standard loadings are going to be a good bit more expensive because you don't get the benefit of economy of scale in manufacturing. So .223/5.56, .308, and to a lessor extent 6.8 would be your best choices.

Of course as noted above, some folks handload to offset the expense of the ammo. That is fine if you want to do that.

I hunt hogs with my AR15 (5.56). Generally, I just shoot them in the head.

Vance

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    San Leon Texas
    Howdy,

I'm just a little bit new here (just signed up) but I used my Bushmaster M4 this past November up near Abilene and it took down a 125lb buck from just over 100 yards. I had my Leupold 3x9x40mm scope mounted, using Monarch (yeah I know. not great stuff) 55gr soft point .223 ammo.

Some may not like the Bushmaster, but I can attest that it put a bunch of meat in my freezer. :)

I will admit though, that I recently bought a Remington R25 .308 just so I'd make a bigger hole in my next target. Just need to get it out to the range and scoped in.

Vance.

Top Bottom