• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tinob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Dallas
    I'm gonna buy a ar15,still debting weather to a .223 or 6.8. To hunt hogs and maybe deer, need help deciding which one to get.

woolleyworm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Cleburne
    Go with a 7mm-08 or .308, you'll find it more useful than a .223 and not as hard to find ammo compared to the 6.8. But if it's only between the two choices, go with the 6.8, it's the better choice for hunting game.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I have hunted and successfully killed a few deer with my 5.56 AR15. Many people tried to dissuade me using comments from "it's just unethical to use such a small bullet" to there are "better" choices to "real men use an X. These people had no idea what they were talking about. After carefully reading I selected a match grade gun with target scope that could shoot sub MOA. My bullet choice was the 55grn Hornady TAP round. Results were devastating. The bullets enter the chest cavity and explode dumping all their energy into he animal. One tiny hole in and no exit. Lots of folks want holes in and out for a blood trail and all but I found anything within a 8" diameter cylinder from impact to be pulverized. All the deer dropped in their tracks and were turned off like a light switch. The best part is I never lost the deer in the scope and could have tracked it had it moved. At any moment I could have shot again but none was needed. It's not a stunt or unethical. It's a hell of a deer round. Are there better rounds? In my opinion no. I shoot my "deer rifle" 50-200 times a year. I shoot the AR 200 times a trip at 6 or more trips a year.
    As an aside this is a "clean air" gun. Some folks clame you can shoot thru leaves, sticks and trees "brush bust" with certain rounds but not the AR. If you don't have a clean shot dont take the shot.
    Good luck.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    i will beusing my AR this coming deer season (hopefully ) in 5.56 NATO (.223)

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I've killed a couple of deer with mine. It takes approprate bullet selection. I decided I was gonna stick with premium bullets, though I've read quite a few people use cheapers ones on Head and neck shots. Match and frangible bullets are not gonna cut the mustard. Quite a few good hunting bullets out there. This is where reloading really gives you a benefit. Deer aren't that hard to kill.

I'd get at least a 1 in 8 twist, so as to not limit you weight (length I know). I like the heavier bullets for hunting.

I used 70 grain Barns TSX and hey worked great. both animals didn't go very far.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I've killed a couple of deer with mine. It takes approprate bullet selection. I decided I was gonna stick with premium bullets, though I've read quite a few people use cheapers ones on Head and neck shots. Match and frangible bullets are not gonna cut the mustard. Quite a few good hunting bullets out there. This is where reloading really gives you a benefit. Texas Deer aren't that hard to kill.

I'd get at least a 1 in 8 twist, so as to not limit you weight (length I know). I like the heavier bullets for hunting.

I used 70 grain Barns TSX and hey worked great. both animals didn't go very far.

Fixed that for you. I agree that 5.56 is a great caliber for the size deer we have in Texas. I don't know if I would shoot a big white tail or mule like you find up north with one, but that Hornady Tap round sounds very interesting.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Any premium self defense round will do. Rem, win, federal all make good ones in addition th the hornady tap I use.
    There is no difference between a 100# texas deer and a person.
    Ribs, legs and bones are the same diameter and composition. There is certainly no heavy bone that must be punched thru and no "deep" penetration required

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I would avoid SD .223 rounds. They tend to be designed to fragment, which is not ideal for hunting in my very humble opinion. Anything with a deer on the box should work. Partitions (they are sold as a 60 grain, which should work in the 1/9), anything TSX (the 62 grain should work in a 1/9 the 70 grain recommends a 1/8 twist), or game kings ( have some 55 grainers than I never used, I'd feel better with a heavier bullet. . . maybe someday I was actually gonna use them for a SD round but never got around to it) would probably work just fine to name a few.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Folks tend to get caught up with the word fragment. They think it means a very shallow wound like a flesh wound. In the case of say #8 birdshot or snake shot it's true. Small light field loads are not acceptable for self defense. But a properly constructed 22cal 55grain bullet traveling at 2800 feet per second does something very different. It descentigrates but... It imparts 1/2 ton of energy into a cone or cylinder about 6-8"'in diameter. That cylinder is mostly air, flesh and liquid. Because the liquid is not compressible it causes a hydrostatic shock wave that destroys cell walls and rips flesh from bone. That is much more devastating than a spitster like design that opens passes thru the animal and exits in a more traditional manner.

Bultx1215

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Bulverde, TX
    I took 2 bucks last year with my AR for the first time. One with a 70g TSX and the other with a 70g Speer SP, both were my hand loads. Both deer dropped straight down, dead in seconds. That was my first experience with .223 and deer....and it sure won't be my last. It will do it just fine. It will even drop much larger deer as well. The current issue of AR Guns and Hunting mag has a good article where the author used an AR to bag heavy deer. Worked great again.

That said, I am contemplating a 6.8SPC build sometime soon. Its a bit more expensive and ammo is a little harder to find, but nothing some forethought, planning or even reloading wouldn't get around easily. By all accounts, the 6.8 is an excellent hunting round.

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    I killed a hog with my AR earlier this year..... I may try my AR from my blind this hunting season.... most of my shots are 125 yrs or less.... do-able....Time to give my Rem 700 .243 a rest this year.....

Beckett

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Plano
    Started deer hunting on the family ranch with a .222 Magnum when I was 10 and I still hunt today with my .223. Most of the deer are less than 120 lbs field dressed and fall just as well with a .223 as with any other caliber. I use 62 gr soft points and sometimes even the accurized bullets which they say are frangible. Never had a problem finding a deer but on the other hand I never take an iffy shot. If I had to take questionable shots I would probably go with a larger caliber.

Top Bottom