Join TexasGunTalk

AR owners, learn from my mistake...

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by rushthezeppelin, Sep 18, 2013.

1. rushthezeppelin

rushthezeppelin TGT Addict

Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Still kicking myself for doing this, but here goes.

So I was hand cleaning some 223 brass (even though I don't have stuff to reload it yet) and I was noticing each one has a nick on the case neck. After some research, i found it might be a rough spot on the back of one of my bolt locking lugs on the barrel hitting the neck on extraction. Wanting to test this theory I grabbed a live round and took the firing pin out of my bolt, threw it in and pulled it back out. This didn't reveal much so I put everything back together and go about other things last night.

Today at lunch I noticed I forgot to put the firing pin back in a it was sitting on my gun table. So I pickup my AR, take the lower off and pull out the bolt but it won't budge. Then it dawns on me the can pin turned sideways and was locking up inside the bump on the left side of the upper. Google the problem and see allot of "your fucked" and "better call a smith" so I'm pretty well freaking out (especially considering I'm supposed to be shooting the multi gun match this Sat).

I tried taking several small objects to try and push one of the bolt lugs to no avail (thinking back I should have known that wouldn't work). Threw a ton of frog lube in there and frantically/hopelessly started wiggling the charging handle back and forth and shaking the upper all over the place and finally it popped out.

So stupid that this didn't cross my mind as I know exactly how the mechanics of the AR bolt works and have actually looked at that and wondered if the bolt would lock up without the firing pin. So just so it's out there NEVER put your AR bolt in without a firing pin, you could get lucky like me or you could have to look like a real dumb ass in front of a smith.

Anyone else have stupid mistakes they will admit to?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

2. itchin

itchin TGT Addict BANNED!!!

Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I once ruined a 22/45 upper by forgetting to install the firing pin retaining pin. I'm glad you got it to open.

3. rushthezeppelin

rushthezeppelin TGT Addict

Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Tell me about it, I'm doubly lucky that it didn't lock on me initially with the live round in there, that would been a bit scary to hand to a smith. I'm tempted to grab a second pin that I can grind down to where it completes the mechanics of the bolt but can't strike a primer in case I want to investigate this further, although I might just be best letting a smith investigate that.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

4. Ole Cowboy

Ole Cowboy TGT Addict

May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Well Rush, stupid, damn stupid but YOU had the GUTS to admit it and post it, WOW, hats off to you on that. My bet is you will NEVER make that mistake again...maybe it was not so stupid after all...

5. cbigclarke

cbigclarke TGT Addict

Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    i once bought a Bushmaster. I know!! I know!!

6. London

London The advocate's Devil. TGT Supporter

Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I've never built an AR upper, so forgive me if this sounds stupid, but could this problem be solved by removing the barrel and going from there?

7. grumper

grumper TGT Addict

Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Lol.

Don't pull the charging handle to yank the bolt carrier back when you don't have the recoil spring and buffer inside the stock/tube.

This one isn't as bad as the bolt getting stuck locked forward, but it's almost. The bolt carrier will get hung up on the buffer retainer and half of it will be in the upper and the other half will be in the stock and you won't be able to open it up to free it.

8. itchin

itchin TGT Addict BANNED!!!

Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    lol. I could imagine your ar would be locked together.

9. cbigclarke

cbigclarke TGT Addict

Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    kind of like 2 dogs

10. Blind Sniper

Blind Sniper Well-Known

Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you just need to loosen up the castle nut, unscrew the buffer tube, then reach in and wiggle the retainer loose? Or am I envisioning the problem wrong?