• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    Yep, but I know better than to try something when you have no clue what I'm doing.

Dude, a trigger swap is literally dumbass-proof unless you manage to install it backwards. Takes all of ten minutes if you fumble and stumble.

What kind of tools do you have to work with?

ETA: Give me a few minutes, I'd be happy to walk you through the process via PM. Had to do one myself not too long ago.
    DK Firearms

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Don't try to open an AR when a chamber flag is installed. Took three days to figure out what I was doing wrong.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    When are you guys going to have an AR-101 class? I'll attend. Seriously though - can y'all suggest any resources for more knowledge? On AR15, I'd get flamed in a heartbeat. I know how to do the basic stuff - like field stripping it, cleaning it etc. but I'd like to put in a better trigger and don't know how to do that. YouTube has lots of info, and lots of idiots. Not knowing them, I don't trust them.

Never done an upper (although that will probably change) but Youtube and a CMMG LPK are most of what you need to build a lower. CMMG puts its parts in conveniently marked color-coded bags. They also make a damn nice feeling trigger. You'll need a few other parts like a buffer tube, buffer, buffer spring, castle nut... the videos will explain it all It's easy.

If you can put a plastic model car together you can build an AR lower.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    Yep, but I know better than to try something when you have no clue what I'm doing.

I can tell you this much....I have assembled three lowers, soon to be four, and if this monkey can do it....well, it is not hard to do. The 1st one I did went together so easy...... I was soooo SURE that I did something wrong, I took it all apart and did it over. It is actually kinda scary how simple it is to assemble a lower. If ya want, I'll holler at ya when I get ready to assemble the stripped lower that I have and we can get together so you can see how I do it.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    I can tell you this much....I have assembled three lowers, soon to be four, and if this monkey can do it....well, it is not hard to do. The 1st one I did went together so easy...... I was soooo SURE that I did something wrong, I took it all apart and did it over. It is actually kinda scary how simple it is to assemble a lower. If ya want, I'll holler at ya when I get ready to assemble the stripped lower that I have and we can get together so you can see how I do it.

Strip lower party??

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Heh, yeah. When I did mine, I just dropped it in through the back of the lower, screwed in the buffer tube, then slid the plate thing down to lock everything in place and tightened up the castle nut. May not have been the "right" way, but it's what worked for me.

That's the way I do it as well... Is that the wrong way? I assume if it works it works, but is it done the other way around?

OnyxATX

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    Austin, TX
    For Robert's comment...

I'm pretty good with AKs... to the point I rebuilt most of one on the fly with only what I had in my pockets. AKs are easy though... same with Glocks. Piece of cake. 1911s? Well, I'm decent, but not an expert by any means.

ARs scared the crud out of me for some reason. They seemed way to complicated and full of crazy tiny parts. Boy oh boy was I wrong.

I'm telling you, with a punch, brass hammer, and armors tool you can do it... and do it well. For the lower, basically every part consists of doing this. "Putting a tiny spring in a hole, then a tiny metal shard on top, then some other larger piece and maybe a rollpin." That's seriously the lower. You have springs, some other doodad, and a pin. Your two concerns are banging your finger with a hammer (both types), and wanting to bang your head into a wall for shooting some spring across the room.

Uppers are a different story as you have to be a bit more careful with a few parts, but they're also pretty dang easy. ARs only complicated because people hang 700 complex things on them... which honestly can be harder than actually BUILDING one.

I think a reasonable person can build an AR easier than some of the stuff from Ikea.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    You should probably use an azoom or some other dummy round for further testing.
    I once put the cotter pin in on the wrong side of the firing pin. Turns out the firing pin can get stuck behind the bolt when you do that.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Heh, yeah. When I did mine, I just dropped it in through the back of the lower, screwed in the buffer tube, then slid the plate thing down to lock everything in place and tightened up the castle nut. May not have been the "right" way, but it's what worked for me.

Lol this is what I did.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    All you need to know. Very easy to assemble AR's

Check out this video on YouTube:

Assembling an AR-15 Stripped Lower 1 of 2 - YouTube

Knowing how to assemble the parts doesn't prevent brainfarts and doing stupid stuff like forgetting the firing pin or buffer and spring, forgetting to close the ejection port cover before slamming the upper shut and cutting the shit out of your hand, etc...

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I tried reassembling a completely stripped pistol outside at night once. Finding a spring in the grass at night...riggggghhhht.

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    I loaned an AR to an acquaintance, once... biggest mistake, EVER.

Same here, but now only if im actually around to see what theyre doing with it. Last unsupervised time i was away on TDY for several months to come back to my ar15 jamming on me on a once indestructable gun. Opened it up and out popped the buffer spring halfwsy bound up caught on the buffer detent that had a spring that didnt belong to it in there...... Supposedly they never used it, but when i did a detailed inspection there was nothing but gunk and remnents of huuuuge overuse of cheap junk remoil all over my parts. I coat mine in a light froglube layer so i knew someone tried to break it down and failed at life and proper lubing.

Obamascared

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2013
    Yeas i made a huge mistake when I married my last wife, and to add I didnt do a good enough job on trying to get a republican in the white house.

Top Bottom