Join TexasGunTalk

AR Pistol in 7.62x39mm

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by Maverick44, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Maverick44

Maverick44 Certified All-American Gun Nut

I've been wanting an AR pistol for awhile now, and 7.62x39 is something I've been meaning to add to my collection. I Was going to just go with a 5.56 pistol, but 7.62x39 performs very well out of a short barrel. Well enough that it could be more than just a range toy.

So, after some looking I have three options to choose from. I'd appreciate some input. I'd like to keep this build as cheap as possible, but I won't sacrifice quality to save a few bucks (within reason).

I have a stripped lower and an assembled upper to work with.

OPTION 1. PSA AR-47 - ~$600

It's just a regular AR-15 chambered in 7.62x39. The only upper they currently have is not what I'd want the end result to be. It has your typical generic cheap AR drop in handguard. I'd want to upgrade it to a free float rail and remove that sight. From what I've read, C-Products Defense 7.62x39 mags are reliable. They aren't what I'd call cheap, but they're not expensive either. I could live with them.

OPTION 2. PSA KS-47 ~$700

It's an unholy mix of an AR and an AK, but it's kinda cool for that reason. It uses some proprietary parts such as the lower receiver and I think the BCG. It's claim to fame is that it can use standard AK mags. It's close enough to what I want that I'd be happy.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...ght-m-lok-moe-ept-sba3-pistol-5165450182.html

OPTION 3 Homebrew ~$760

I say eff it and build my own upper using the assembled upper I already have.

Faxon 10.5" barrel - $159.00
    PSA SBA3 lower build kit - $160
    Faxon MuzzLok flash hider - $70
    Magpul MOE K2 grip - $17
    Seekings LP adjustable gas block - $56
    Aero Precision gas tube - $16
    Faxon 9" MLOK handguard - $121

EDIT: Forgot the BCG and CH

Strike Industries Arch CH - $32
    Faxon BCG - $130

I would get exactly what I want this way, other than being able to use AK mags. I'm leaning towards this option. That, and I finally get to do something with that assembled upper I've had sitting around since the last election.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  2. DyeF9

DyeF9 In Thrust We Trust

Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    Option 3

3. baboon

baboon TGT Addict

Home grown alright with me
    Home grown is the way it should be

4. Maverick44

Do you guys have any recommendations on a BCG? I know the 7.62x39 has a nasty habit of breaking bolts (I will be shooting mostly 150gr+ cast bullets, so that should be less of an issue with me), so I want one that's made to last. I assume Faxon would be GTG, but it's a little pricey, even when it's on sale. KAK had one that was about $50 cheaper, but I don't have much experience with them. Most sources online recommended Toolcraft, but I don't think they make them anymore.

Edit: Found a Toolcraft for sale for $100. :D

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  5. TreyG-20

TreyG-20 TGT Addict

Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    If you buy the PSA KS-47 upper and lower separately it will save you about $100 or a little more. I'm leaning towards that myself since I have a bunch of AK mags.

6. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Wheel Gun Nut TGT Supporter

Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    KS-47 is pretty compelling to me. If I opt for an AK style AR, that'd probably be it.

7. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    If you choose to go that route, C-Products Defense 7.62x39 mags have worked flawlessly.

8. Maverick44

Looking at the KS-47, I like it a lot, but I have some concerns. The main one being the bolt. I believe the carrier is just your run of the mill AR carrier, but the bolt is specifically designed to work with AK mags. Given the X39s tenancy to break bolts, that worried me. You cannot buy those bolts alone (you can buy the full BCG though), and what happens in 5-10 years when PSA drops the KS-47? You might be able to find a shop to mill a standard bolt to work, but that's a lot more trouble than I'd want.

The other issue, and this is me just being picky, is that PSA has said that their bore size is 0.3125". Not a big deal to those who shoot crappy steel case ammo, but more of a big deal for a reloader. .312-.313 bullets are out there, but they cost more and you're pretty much stuck with heavier bullets (150gr). Most 7.62x39 bullets are 0.310". As a reloader, 0.308" is probably the best due to the bullet selection and the price. I believe that Faxon had that same opinion when they made their barrels.

I could build a KS-47 for under $600, and the magazines would be about half the price if not less. I could also get one with a 8.5" barrel. The other options are limited to 10.5". That's a tough choice.

The build would end up being a bit more than I wanted to spend, but it would be a really sweet gun. I keep going back and forth on the parts, trying to balance price with function and quality. Right now, it would be between $700-$800 depending on what parts I decide to go with.

9. Maverick44

Well, after some thought, I think I may go with a Bear Creek Arsenal barrel. It's about 1/3 the price of the Faxon, and despite all of the bad you hear about BCA online, those who actually bought these barrels seem overly happy with them. I saw some pretty nice sub MOA groups with them. That's enough for me to take a $50 risk.

I have no idea what the bore size on these are. BCA claims 0.312, those who have tested claim 0.310-0.311, and I have seen sub MOA groups with 0.308 bullets.

10. james.long48

james.long48 Active Member

Apr 5, 2015
    I built one with mostly parts from kak industries, 8" barrel, extremely accurate. I broke the extractor arm in my bolt. Kak replaced it, I bought a spare and an upgraded bolt from another manufacturer. I'll post once I remember the name.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk