• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    all, I have a creative student that wants to know if it's legal to carry an AR-15 pistol. I told him I'd check as I'd never had anyone ask this before and never considered it myself. I'm assuming that as it is considered to be a pistol that it may be carried as such. But the only wrinkle in my mind may come from the fact that it is chambered in a rifle cartridge (his is .223).

I know that PC46.01 (5) defines a "Handgun" as "any firearm that is designed, made, or adapted to be fired with one hand." This certainly falls under that category, but I'm curious if any of you oterh instructors have encountered this? OR anyone with the legal knowledge to site a source if it is illegal?

Thoughts?
    DK Firearms

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    A handgun is a handgun (as long as it fits the definition you posted).

Source: I've had to look this up already because I've got a pretty creative mind also.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Unless he plans on wearing a duster, it might be hard to keep from printing.

My best understanding of the subject is according to the Texas Department of Public Safety, Concealed means that the weapon cannot be visible, and that its presence cannot be discernible through ordinary observation. It is a criminal offense for a license holder to carry a handgun in plain view, or to intentionally fail to conceal the weapon.

That is where such a large handgun might pose the biggest problem.

Just to counter my own argument, I have seen Uzi's and PS-90's come out from places I never thought they would be on some government guys, so it's possible.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    It is a criminal offense for a license holder to carry a handgun in plain view, or to intentionally fail to conceal the weapon.

For a CHL holder the failure to conceal must be intentional. Accidentally carrying in plain view is not an offense.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Is that not what I posted??? To intentionally fail to conceal is not an accident,

Just don't get your point Bithabus.

You said:
    It is a criminal offense for a license holder to carry a handgun in plain view, or to intentionally fail to conceal the weapon.

Which would mean simply carrying in plain view would be an offense. Using "and" instead of "or" would alter the meaning of the sentence in accordance with your desired meaning.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    You said:

Which would mean simply carrying in plain view would be an offense. Using "and" instead of "or" would alter the meaning of the sentence in accordance with your desired meaning.

Still don't get your grammar lesson. Yes it would be a crime to carry in plan view. Yes it would be a crime to fail to conceal the weapon, also. They are two separate, but related things. So I guess we could get into a discussion of clip v. magazine, robbery v. burglary, etc. but I think we are trying to convey the same point to the op.

Better use of our time would be to show Soldiernurse some pictures of what has become a quite popular type of AR.

Oa98-2.jpg

2021OlympicArms_K23P.jpg

Pistol_5.jpg

bushy97pistol9oc.jpg

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    You said:

Still don't get your grammar lesson. Yes it would be a crime to carry in plan view. Yes it would be a crime to fail to conceal the weapon, also. They are two separate, but related things. So I guess we could get into a discussion of clip v. magazine, robbery v. burglary, etc. but I think we are trying to convey the same point to the op.

Better use of our time would be to show Soldiernurse some pictures of what has become a quite popular type of AR.

Anybody got pics of this AR-15 "pistol"? A little ridiculous ... IMO.

Oa98-2.jpg

2021OlympicArms_K23P.jpg

Pistol_5.jpg

bushy97pistol9oc.jpg

Plus, Soldiernurse there are a few threads on here about members guns, check them out.......
    Here is a recent one.
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/rifles/39376-ar-pistol-sbr-build.html

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Still don't get your grammar lesson. Yes it would be a crime to carry in plan view. Yes it would be a crime to fail to conceal the weapon, also. l

Only if it is intentional. Before you stated two things, one done intentionally and the other not.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Here's mine:

Firebird Precision lower and spikes 10.5 upper. Aimpoint pro, now has a KAC RAS. $1150 with moe handguard $1250 with KAC rail. under 400 rounds downrange. Everything was bought new and the lower was assembled by me.
    DSCN1711.jpg

Top Bottom