• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    all, I have a creative student that wants to know if it's legal to carry an AR-15 pistol. I told him I'd check as I'd never had anyone ask this before and never considered it myself. I'm assuming that as it is considered to be a pistol that it may be carried as such. But the only wrinkle in my mind may come from the fact that it is chambered in a rifle cartridge (his is .223).

I know that PC46.01 (5) defines a "Handgun" as "any firearm that is designed, made, or adapted to be fired with one hand." This certainly falls under that category, but I'm curious if any of you oterh instructors have encountered this? OR anyone with the legal knowledge to site a source if it is illegal?

Thoughts?

If it is not considered a handgun would you tell your students it is illegal to carry?
    Military Camp

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    The 5.7 is not at least .32 and not one that satisfies the state requirment. A person risks having their license revoked and the instructor charged with a crime and having his instructor certification revoked.

I know. I just know a woman who used one after asking permission from instructor. I warned her that that handgun did not meet the criteria. No names given here.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I am now beginning to think why carry an AR pistol concealed when with about the same effort you can carry a FAL pistol!!

Ok, where is that banner ad for Kangaroo Carry.............lets see if Austin Davis can rig me up a Air Marshall 3 to hold something like this.

ds-arms-fal-pistol2.jpg

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    I am now beginning to think why carry an AR pistol concealed when with about the same effort you can carry a FAL pistol!!

Ok, where is that banner ad for Kangaroo Carry.............lets see if Austin Davis can rig me up a Air Marshall 3 to hold something like this.

ds-arms-fal-pistol2.jpg

+11111111

Top Bottom