AR questions

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by kingofwylietx, Nov 27, 2008.

1. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I have a couple of AR questions.

1. what is the difference between a standard trigger pack and a 2-stage? I have the standard trigger now.

2. anyone have an opinion of the stocks that are spring loaded to absorb some of the recoil? I have the standard 6-position stock, but am thinking I may like the dampened one better.

Thanks in advance!

2. nalioth

nalioth Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Say what? The AR15 / M16 has recoil?

Got links to these stocks?

3. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I'll have to do some Googling to get you a pic. It's for my .308, so, yes.....it's got a little kick. I know it's not technically an AR15, but it looks identical to my 5.56....so I am assuming the butt stock is interchangeable between them.

4. 50calRay

50calRay Active Member

Jun 17, 2008
    blah
    edited: I was uncorrect about teh AR10.

I have zero experience with a .308 but I'm sure it has some recoil.

5. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    It's not that bad, but my wife will also be shooting it. I thought it might be something to make it all that much more pleasant for her. We plan to shoot the heck out of them.

6. O.S.O.K.

O.S.O.K. Member

1) the standard milspec trigger on AR's is a two stage trigger. You can get fire control groups that are adjustable - two stage or single stage.

Two stage means that the trigger has a light "first stage" that you take-up and then a heavier "second stage" that breaks the sear and fires the rifle. Single stage has no take-up.

2) I don't think semi-auto 308's kick all that much due to the recoil spring absorbing much of it, but there's nothing wrong with a stock like that - but I have no experience with them. Can't see that helping accuracy though...

7. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    Thank you for the trigger group info. Mine are the standard DPMS rifles, so they are apparently 2-stage. It was like pulling teeth to get that answer, thank you, thank you, thank you. I posed that question in 2 other threads......nobody answered.....I guess nobody knew the answer.

The reason I asked about he buttstock is that I went to the range to sight both of them in yesterday. Well, apparently the .308 left some hicky marks on my shoulder (I'm man enough to admit it). It doesn't really hurt, but now my wife isn't too keen on shooting it. We got these things so we could both enjoy them. I already told her that the .308 kicks less than her 25-06. The marks must be from that hard plastic, so I figured that I would change it out.

8. tussery

tussery Active Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    I don't think the creep in a milspec trigger can be considered a first stage of a two stage IMO. They are meant to be a single stage trigger.

9. 50calRay

50calRay Active Member

Jun 17, 2008
    blah
    Thay sounds more like it in my opinion.

10. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    My 12 year old daughter shoots my AR. IMO, really good hearing protection is more important. ;)