• ...and so much more!
  • kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I have a couple of AR questions.

1. what is the difference between a standard trigger pack and a 2-stage? I have the standard trigger now.

2. anyone have an opinion of the stocks that are spring loaded to absorb some of the recoil? I have the standard 6-position stock, but am thinking I may like the dampened one better.

Thanks in advance!

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I'll have to do some Googling to get you a pic. It's for my .308, so, yes.....it's got a little kick. I know it's not technically an AR15, but it looks identical to my 5.56....so I am assuming the butt stock is interchangeable between them.

50calRay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    blah
    I'll have to do some Googling to get you a pic. It's for my .308, so, yes.....it's got a little kick. I know it's not technically an AR15, but it looks identical to my 5.56....so I am assuming the butt stock is interchangeable between them.

edited: I was uncorrect about teh AR10.

I have zero experience with a .308 but I'm sure it has some recoil.

O.S.O.K.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    1) the standard milspec trigger on AR's is a two stage trigger. You can get fire control groups that are adjustable - two stage or single stage.

Two stage means that the trigger has a light "first stage" that you take-up and then a heavier "second stage" that breaks the sear and fires the rifle. Single stage has no take-up.

2) I don't think semi-auto 308's kick all that much due to the recoil spring absorbing much of it, but there's nothing wrong with a stock like that - but I have no experience with them. Can't see that helping accuracy though...

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    1) the standard milspec trigger on AR's is a two stage trigger. You can get fire control groups that are adjustable - two stage or single stage.

Two stage means that the trigger has a light "first stage" that you take-up and then a heavier "second stage" that breaks the sear and fires the rifle. Single stage has no take-up.

2) I don't think semi-auto 308's kick all that much due to the recoil spring absorbing much of it, but there's nothing wrong with a stock like that - but I have no experience with them. Can't see that helping accuracy though...

Thank you for the trigger group info. Mine are the standard DPMS rifles, so they are apparently 2-stage. It was like pulling teeth to get that answer, thank you, thank you, thank you. I posed that question in 2 other threads......nobody answered.....I guess nobody knew the answer.

The reason I asked about he buttstock is that I went to the range to sight both of them in yesterday. Well, apparently the .308 left some hicky marks on my shoulder (I'm man enough to admit it). It doesn't really hurt, but now my wife isn't too keen on shooting it. We got these things so we could both enjoy them. I already told her that the .308 kicks less than her 25-06. The marks must be from that hard plastic, so I figured that I would change it out.

tussery

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Corpus Christi
    I don't think the creep in a milspec trigger can be considered a first stage of a two stage IMO. They are meant to be a single stage trigger.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    I am not sure what kind of spring loaded stock you are looking at, but IMO its a waste of time. In all l ikelyhood the hickie marks arent from the impact, but from the harsh edges of the stock. My 223 with a Magpul PRS will leave the same hickie marks here and there. Make sure that you are shouldering the weapon properly and keeping it snug so it cant jump about so to speak. Gas operated 308's arent hard hitters. If its still a problem you can try a Limbsaver, although I am not sure they make one that will be a dead nuts fit for a collapsible stock. I have one on my 12Ga and it really tames the recoil and makes longer shooting sessions fun. i would imagine that any kind of spring loaded stick will change eye releif more than a stiff one. If you end up scoping it and your scope doesnt have a lot of range in the eye relief, youre going to be in pain when the occular bell impacts you eyebrow OUCH... You can also tame recoil by adding a little weight to the rifle. Swap out the stock to something like an A2 or PRS. You can also try putting a break or suppressor on it, although the break will make the thing very loud.

kingofwylietx

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I might just try tucking it in tighter first. Besides my 10/22, this is my first rifle. I have always been a handgunner. I hunt with a pistol. As you can see, I'm kinda new to the rifle 'thing'. The stock is one of those adjustable doo-hickies, it has some pretty harsh edges. I'll just pull it in tighter next time and see how it goes.

O.S.O.K.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Thank you for the trigger group info. Mine are the standard DPMS rifles, so they are apparently 2-stage. It was like pulling teeth to get that answer, thank you, thank you, thank you. I posed that question in 2 other threads......nobody answered.....I guess nobody knew the answer.

The reason I asked about he buttstock is that I went to the range to sight both of them in yesterday. Well, apparently the .308 left some hicky marks on my shoulder (I'm man enough to admit it). It doesn't really hurt, but now my wife isn't too keen on shooting it. We got these things so we could both enjoy them. I already told her that the .308 kicks less than her 25-06. The marks must be from that hard plastic, so I figured that I would change it out.

No problem.

I would suggest installing one of the newer adjustable type stocks - good fit goes a long way towards perceived recoil. Some come with a pad on em too - check out Del-Ton, Inc. A complete line of AR-15 Rifles, AR 15 Parts and AR15 Accessories. - a good purveyor - and they have a good selection of buttstocks - specifically the telescoping type.

Top Bottom