• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Is the difference just the barrel length? The AR pistol is something I've not become familiar with firsthand and see some deals here and there I might be interested in, but would like more info from those in the know.

Have a pretty much standard AR, but any input is appreciated.
    Texas SOT

JCC

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2018
    US
    AR pistol is usually a shorter barreled AR with a "brace" rather than a stock. Could be any available caliber.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

twain55

Texan
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    San Antonio
    My understanding:

There are a few legal (infringement) differences that are important to know in regards to the AR Pistol because you don’t want to inadvertently have a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR) or other type of firearm that requires special legal attention. (also infringement)

An AR Pistol has a barrel length less then 16”.

Also, it CAN’T have a shoulder stock or a vertical foregrip. It CAN have an angled foregrip.

It can have a pistol buffer tube or an arm/wrist brace. (Looks almost like a shoulder stock but designed to fit against the lower arm NOT the shoulder.)

FYI. I’m not a legal expert. The above information was gathered from my own research. Please correct me (tactfully) if I’m wrong.

randomthought

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2014
    Yes a pistol has a barrel less than 16 inches and has a brace, but If the overall length is over 26 inches with the muzzle device off and the brace removed ( just bare buffer tube ) than you can legally at this time have a vertical grip because then it is classified as a firearm.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Ioannes

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    US
    And you cannot make an AR pistol from a lower that was previously 4473d as part of a rifle. You can make one from lower or one that was 4473d as a pistol.

Supposedly you can put a rifle upper on a pistol lower, and then subsequently place a pistol upper back on it again, but this isn't legal advice, you should research it if interested

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    An AR pistol does NOT have to have a brace. It does not even have to have a buffer tube.

You can ADD a brace, if you wish.

You can make an AR pistol from a lower that was listed as pistol or "other" (not sure the terminology is correct on the latter, but something along those lines).

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    The thing a lot of people miss on the pistol is that the 223 and 5.56 is a rifle round. When shot from a barrel shorter than 10” there is significant velocity loss. You basically turn it into a very loud 22 magnum. Sure. It’s a lot of fun and you can stop threats with an ice pick. Just something to consider.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The thing a lot of people miss on the pistol is that the 223 and 5.56 is a rifle round. When shot from a barrel shorter than 10” there is significant velocity loss. You basically turn it into a very loud 22 magnum. Sure. It’s a lot of fun and you can stop threats with an ice pick. Just something to consider.
    Still looking at 2700-2800 fps out of 10" with 55 gr. Significantly more than .22 mag.

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    That’s what I said.
    Reading comprehension is important.
    That is NOT what you said.

Here is what you said:
    "You basically turn it into a very loud 22 magnum."

Here is what I said:
    "Still looking at 2700-2800 fps out of 10" with 55 gr. Significantly more than .22 mag." {emphasis added.}

Those two statements do NOT agree with each other.

You might try practicing that reading comprehension which is so important.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    I'm supposed to have an AR pistol around here, if the canoe didn't sink. This pistol filled a niche for me, if I still have it, due to it being an AR rifle/carbine platform that was close to bullpup sizing. With the shorter barrel of 10 1/2" or so, and SBA3 brace on it, gives it a more centered point of balance and ease of movement that I couldn't get out of a 16", or longer, barrel. Meaning, it's a lot easier to use one handed. If, I didn't lose it when I was crossing the lake a while back.

Windrunner50

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 23, 2019
    Fort Worth
    I thought about building one but, if it’s anything like the HK53 I had years ago....
    watch the muzzle blast! They are fun to shoot, but a brace seems mandatory. Let us know how it goes.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Just got my pistol lower today. Put a 10.5” upper on it, (5.56/.223) and took it to the range. Only put a couple magazines through it, but it’s extremely accurate at 25 yards and very easy to handle. It has the SBA brace on it, and my interpretation is that it can be shouldered. Range I use requires all firearms to be in a case when you bring them in, so I broke it down into 2 pieces, and put it in my backpack with a few magazines. Inexpensive gun case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom