• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TruthlessHero81

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2017
    So I've decided to pair down my collection to just one MBR style .308 rifle. Currently have a PTR 91 and a Saiga .308 AK that are fine, but I'm not huge fans of either. So I've been lusting after the Galil 308 but today I see PSA has specials for their brands of AR10's for basically half of what I'd pay for a Galil. So what am I missing here? Any input?

The Galil is sexy, takes Pmags, has good reviews and should be reliable. The downside would be parts and unfamiliar ergos.

The PSA AR10's are cheaper, take pmags, has families ergos and should have more readily available parts. Downside would be unknown reliability.
    Target Sports

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have heard a few complaints about PSA AR10s but relatively few compared to how many they sell.

I would probably get one if I was in the market. I prefer AR10s to anything else you have listed.

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    While I don't have PSA AR-10s, I have three of them, a Sig 716, a Armalite, and Ruger's 762. All of them are fantastic but magazines are not swappable between the Armalite and others. I'd stick with the AR platform personally, but I have 3 of them and might be a bit biased. The Galil is a great weapon but a bit expensive for what it is.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I'd buy another G3-type rifle. The AR-10 is an up-sized AR-15, and nobody seems to be using the same pattern. The Galil - I assume you're talking about that hideous ACE thing - does not work well in 7.62 NATO as it's just too much for the receiver (they cracked in military service). The G3 is still in military use and production, the only 7.62 NATO battle rifle that can claim that title.
    There's also the FN FAL, the M14 series, the M1 Garand (which is available directly from the CMP in .308), and Beretta's FAL: the BM59 series. My 'one rifle' is a BM59E.

Eli

TruthlessHero81

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2017
    I'd buy another G3-type rifle. The AR-10 is an up-sized AR-15, and nobody seems to be using the same pattern. The Galil - I assume you're talking about that hideous ACE thing - does not work well in 7.62 NATO as it's just too much for the receiver (they cracked in military service). The G3 is still in military use and production, the only 7.62 NATO battle rifle that can claim that title.
    There's also the FN FAL, the M14 series, the M1 Garand (which is available directly from the CMP in .308), and Beretta's FAL: the BM59 series. My 'one rifle' is a BM59E.

Eli

I've nothing against my PTR91, I just don't like the ergonomics. That's why I'm selling it for something else

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    This is an extension of the infinite AK v. AR debate.

If you are considering buying a vintage genuine Galil in 7.62 and can afford it, do so!
    They are the ultimate evolution of the tried and true AK-47 and nothing else compares except maybe a 7.62 Valmet but they are rare as hens teeth.

Threads have been devoted to arguing the best AR pattern 7.26.
    My SIG 716 is my momentary favorite but that will change.

That said, there is a plethora of low-mid range AKs and ARs of late.
    I like the old classics.

HKS

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    This is an extension of the infinite AK v. AR debate.

If you are considering buying a vintage genuine Galil in 7.62 and can afford it, do so!
    They are the ultimate evolution of the tried and true AK-47 and nothing else compares except maybe a 7.62 Valmet but they are rare as hens teeth.

Threads have been devoted to arguing the best AR pattern 7.26.
    My SIG 716 is my momentary favorite but that will change.

That said, there is a plethora of low-mid range AKs and ARs of late.
    I like the old classics.

So many non-galil-made AKs get referred to as "Galil" so beware.
    So many mediocre AR-10ish ARs are on the market. Same beware.

HKS

Top Bottom