• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • King76

Hmmm, I wonder…sometimes wander…
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 29, 2021
    Brenham
    I am building a couple of AR15s and have decided to go with 20” barrels for both as I have several with 16” barrels and I just want the little extra FPS that a little longer barrel will give. I am not wanting the most expensive barrel but a good quality bull barrel in .223 wylde…..does anyone have any barrel mfg recommendations?
    Hurley's Gold

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Ballistic Advantage is supposed to be pretty good all the way around, not just their top level barrels. Haven’t played with them though but I hear/read good things.

What rail are you going with? I’m not a big fan of barrel hanging out by itself so I got the longest rails I could find for mine 20” builds.

King76

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 29, 2021
    Brenham
    I actually have a couple of Aero Precision builder kits which each have a stripped upper, stripped lower and hand guard…the hand guards are both 15”. Each builder set is a different camo, one is forest and the other is desert.

King76

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 29, 2021
    Brenham
    I’ll look into both Ballistic Advantage and FNH…maybe try one of each! I think you can never have too many barrels…

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    I actually have a couple of Aero Precision builder kits which each have a stripped upper, stripped lower and hand guard…the hand guards are both 15”. Each builder set is a different camo, one is forest and the other is desert.
    Good choice I have several also from them. The last 20" barrel was a fluted 223wylde 1/8twist from AP. I have BA, CBI, Faxon, PR, AP, BSF, BCA, Odin, YHM and Anderson so take a pick? For a wylde choice I like BSF over PR for carbon fiber. Steel choice would be AP, CBI and Odin(18" longest make).

King76

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 29, 2021
    Brenham
    Thanks, I’ll take a look at those as well…. Seems like there are many good barrel mfg out there and going with any of those recommendations will be a good choice.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I'm with txhillbilly, the white oak barrels are superb. My ballistic advantage 20" sdm ss barrel has been underwhelming. Faxon also makes a great barrel for the money. I've also bought a couple budget barrels that reflect their price in their performance. Overall, my 18" white oak out shoots everything including a heavy barreled 24" ss Anderson predator which can hold its own with a few hand loads.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    You HAVE to go A1
    Point Blur_May182021_111444.jpg

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    I'm with txhillbilly, the white oak barrels are superb. My ballistic advantage 20" sdm ss barrel has been underwhelming. Faxon also makes a great barrel for the money. I've also bought a couple budget barrels that reflect their price in their performance. Overall, my 18" white oak out shoots everything including a heavy barreled 24" ss Anderson predator which can hold its own with a few hand loads.

I learned a long time ago that companies that sale & build AR's aren't precision barrel makers. If you want a precision barrel, buy a barrel from someone that is known for making precision rifle barrels, not an AR rifle company.

Zazonkers

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 11, 2021
    Fort Worth
    Concur with the White Oak champions. I have and 18” mid gas that shoots better than any of my buddies’ 20” anything. We’re all about par on skill level, so the barrel does do some work.

p230

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Good choice I have several also from them. The last 20" barrel was a fluted 223wylde 1/8twist from AP. I have BA, CBI, Faxon, PR, AP, BSF, BCA, Odin, YHM and Anderson so take a pick? For a wylde choice I like BSF over PR for carbon fiber. Steel choice would be AP, CBI and Odin(18" longest make).

I have had good luck with AR Performance barrels. FN is obviously well though of as well. Several good ones in the above post as well.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom