TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    ^^
    Truth.
    But we already have some 233 and a few ARs
    I'm not wanting to break into another caliber at this moment.

I get that. Nice to have common ammo and mags. They ARE reliable just not AK reliable but if you are OK with that thats OK.

There are some other 556 options that take AR mags. Keltec, Sig 556, Mossberg MVP and more expensive options of course like the SCAR or Tavor.

If you are 100% wanting to stick with the AR i get that. I suppose the question then is do you want 2 or 3 guns.

I was VERY impressed with the M&P Sport.
    Target Sports

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    I will definitely be looking into the Sport now.
    Other 556 mag accepting weapons, are they around the same cost:reliability and cost: performance?
    I have contemplated selling a kidney for a SCAR but am not impressed enough to trade up my RRA.
    SCARs are (o)(o) but my AR is (.)(.)

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I will definitely be looking into the Sport now.
    Other 556 mag accepting weapons, are they around the same cost:reliability and cost: performance?
    I have contemplated selling a kidney for a SCAR but am not impressed enough to trade up my RRA.
    SCARs are (o)(o) but my AR is (.)(.)

Sig is $1100 or so. First run had problems. New ones are supposed to be good. Keltec people seem to love/hate. Probably around $600ish. Kind of cool. They gave pistols (loud) and folding stocks. They feel plasticy and i dont see how theyd be as reliable as the Sport but ive never owned one. Heres a 556. I like the folding stock. It is about 2 pounds heavier than an AR and front heavy.
    e4a7u4u5.jpg
    qajubahu.jpg

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    Sig 556 is fine, but Sig seems to be pulling back and from what I hear is either revamping the Sig 556 line or possibly discontinuing them. I think that for your Dad's rifle, he would appreciate a VX3 or Trijicon AccuPoint more on a nice piston AR, say LWRC or Sig 516 (for the price right now, $1299.00), or maybe a Daniel Defense (if you prefer DI). He might even like the price point and versatility of a Sig 716 in .308/7.62 NATO (under $1800) with a nice traditional scope. Like I said before, go nice with his and get everyone else Mini 14s, M&P sports/DPMS, or 5.56 AKs (all with irons).

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    That is a good idea.

Get a nice 308 Semi Auto and a cheap 556.

The LWRC, DD guns are nice and all but if this is just for SHTF I think that money would be better spent on optics, ammo, magazines...beans.

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    I found this deal at PSA. I don't see how you could go wrong with a couple of these. And still have plenty left over for ammo.

PSA 16" M4 Premium Patrol Rifle

For just a little more you can drive to Walmart and get a LE6920. I'm still on the fence about PSA, some of their uppers with FN CHF barrels look like great deals, but have seen conflicting reviews about the quality control of some their other stuff--this goes to the reliability factor. The 6920s, M&P-15s, DDs all seem to be solid out-of-box options, but the only I can vouch for is the Colt. I am considering right now a DD because their prices are dropping enough that you seem to get outstanding value for what you get, same with Sig 516/716. Also, do you really need a $400-500 Aimpoint for property defense? You also have to think about if SHTF doesn't kick off tomorrow or if your Dad needs some quick cash in the future, it's nice to have something that is in demand and commands a good price.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    FNUSA will be selling ARs soon too.

Could wait to see what their offerings are like. They wrested the M16 and M4 contracts away from Colt.

kittyhawk

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    NE Houston
    If it were me I'd get with Grant from G&R Tactical. I'd get 2 Colt 6920's or BCM M-4's, with Aimpoint Pro's mounted on them with MBUIS and a good sling. Then I'd spend the rest on AMMO and Mags. You can go cheaper but Colt and BCM are top Notch.

Top Bottom