• ...and so much more!
  • azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Howdy gents.
    I need input and personal opinions.

My dad is budgeting $3-4k for (hopefully) 2-3 ARs and ~2k rounds.
    He is not going to be upgrading them much. They will be primarily used as shtf defense items.
    I love my RRA operator but I don't think he wants something that initially expensive.
    Mil-spec vs non?
    Is there somewhere I should know about that might give us a break on a big purchase?
    I got mine from Champion in College Station and it was a great buying experience but it's 9hrs south of me.

Thanks in advance guys!
    -Ben
    Guns International

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Buy the parts and assemble them yourself to your exact specifications. You should have enough for two and plenty of ammo, maybe even a little left toward glass to put on the top.

Not hard to find Mil-Spec. as most all of the parts out there are.

However if you don't want to go that route, a pair of Colts can be had and 2K ammo for about $3K

Last edited:

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Ok. Thanks.
    So you think we'd be better off building a few?
    I'll research what brands and what-not..
    Any suggestions?

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Just for SHTF? 2k of XM193 is about $750-800ish So that leaves you $3200. How many mags you want? Id suggest 14 per gun. So lets go with the 2 gun plan thats 28 mags at say $12 each. $304 for mags? So now youve got $2900. So two $1450 rifles? Nah. You need optics cousin! Two Aimpoints for $900 total gives you $1000 for each gun. Pick your flavor of AR. Spare parts? Will have to cut down somewhere to get those.

If my math is off...its late.

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Lol. I like your style.
    I didn't really think of it like that.
    I'm trying to get him to buy my ar15 so I can get a 10 but he's too critical of me breaking into another caliber. Another story...

But ya, shtf guns because there's about 8-9 of us that live here in Borger (I've got my own place, but it's in town). And I agree with him that if things got crazy, his property would get some "attention" if you know what I mean.
    Charlie (sonofaTXgun) already has one but our 3 other brothers don't.
    All the pops has is 30-06, 243, 25-06, 223. I told him he has great killing weapons, but no defending weapons.

Last edited:

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    Any reason why everything must be had at once and under a certain budget? If what he needs is something to get the job done, he may get by for less. He could also just get enough to be fine right now, then slowly customize and get more. I don't think the masses are on his doorsteps just yet. Some of that money could also go towards food/water/fortification type needs. He could mix in a few cheap AKs or ARs/Minis into the equation too if he is buying to arm family members who cannot afford their own. If Pops is flipping the bill, he should have the highest quality weapon he is willing to buy. He would probably like a .308 battle rifle, just my guess. If not, then take your pick with the higher quality ARs.

HillRider

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    Helotes, TX
    Lol. I like your style.
    I didn't really think of it like that.
    I'm trying to get him to buy my ar15 so I can get a 10 but he's too critical of me breaking into another caliber. Another story...

But ya, shtf guns because there's about 8-9 of us that live here in Borger (I've got my own place, but it's in town). And I agree with him that if things got crazy, his property would get some "attention" if you know what I mean.
    Charlie (sonofaTXgun) already has one but our 3 other brothers don't.
    All the pops has is 30-06, 243, 25-06, 223. I told him he has great killing weapons, but no defending weapons.

Are you kidding me? I'm sure if pops is proficient with any one of these rifles, he could probably kill anything under the sun, and yes defensively. Just put pops on sniper detail in the event of a catastrophe.

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Lol. He's not "worried" about much. He just figures if he's getting one, might as well get 2. If he gets 1k rounds, might as well get 2k.
    He's 53 and never spends money. Until he wants a big ticket item. Lol.

He is pretty proficient with all his rifles.
    But you know as well as I do, no 30-06 can hold 30rnds and be reloaded in less than 2seconds with an additional 30.

I'm thinking along the same lines as y'all. Something quality but basic at first and then add goodies.

Last edited:

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I thought the PSA deal was extra sweet because it comes with an Aim point optic. I really want one of those, but I used up all my brownie points with the wife when I bought my last two pistols.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Kudos to "pops" for considering this.
    While I don't envision Borger being a hot spot, pantex is.
    Whatever y'all get, reliable is number 1.

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    Yes. Pantex is another worry.
    Not too worried in Borger. lol The ARs are a kind of catch-all for a lot of scenarios.
    Food shortages, government issues, trucks stop rolling, war, hostile takeover, bombs fall, rat infestation, etc... Am I missing some things?

Reliability is going to be priority 1.

azkcr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2013
    Borger, TX
    ^^
    Truth.
    But we already have some 233 and a few ARs
    I'm not wanting to break into another caliber at this moment.

Top Bottom