AR15 sbr question

Discussion in 'Class III / NFA' started by hkusp1, May 15, 2009.

1. hkusp1

hkusp1 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    can i buy a 11.5 upper for my ar and not register it and it still be legal as long as its disassembled from the lower ??

2. TSU45

TSU45 Active Member

Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    The ATF views having all the parts to assemble an unregistered machinegun the same as having one already assembled. SBRs and MGs are both NFA weapons. I wouldn't test the waters.

3. CALI

CALI Active Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Round Rock
    Second that.

4. baboon

baboon Well-Known

All they would bring up in court is intent. Then you would be screwed.

5. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    When in doubt, don't touch.

6. cuate

cuate Well-Known

Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    There is probably a flash hider or fake suppressor available to bring barrel to legal 16" length but it will have to be pinned and welded on. Of course that defeats the SBR so that only leaves ATF paperwork, a $200 tax stamp and a long wait for their foot dragging.

Like the others have posted, don't take chances, the ATF isn't your friend and they have a heavy hand.:texas:

7. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    I agree, if you want a short barrel, then you better have the tax stamp or pistol lower for it.

8. SC-Texas

SC-Texas Moderator Moderator

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I thought that that concept had been overruled or severely limited with the thompson Center case.

However, it seems that one aspect of hte test is howeasily the parts can be assembled into a SBR.

Not that i would advise you do it.

9. biglucky

biglucky Well-Known TGT Supporter

Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Are you waiting on paperwork or something? I would still wait, but maybe pay the dealer for the upper and ask them to hold it until you got your paperwork back.

10. Flight954

Flight954 Active Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Cypress, TX
    If you have to have it right now and even shoot it while waiting for your BATFE approval/stamp, buy a registered pistol lower and everything will be completely legal. I think a RR complete pistol lower is running about $300. BATFE is running at about a 5-6 month wait time. I'll post up a pick of mine tonight:happy0001: