AR15 sbr question

hkusp1

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Mar 25, 2009
DALLAS, TX
can i buy a 11.5 upper for my ar and not register it and it still be legal as long as its disassembled from the lower ??

TSU45

Jun 6, 2008
San Marcos, Tx
The ATF views having all the parts to assemble an unregistered machinegun the same as having one already assembled. SBRs and MGs are both NFA weapons. I wouldn't test the waters.

cuate

Well-Known
Jan 27, 2009
Comanche Co., Texas
There is probably a flash hider or fake suppressor available to bring barrel to legal 16" length but it will have to be pinned and welded on. Of course that defeats the SBR so that only leaves ATF paperwork, a $200 tax stamp and a long wait for their foot dragging.

Like the others have posted, don't take chances, the ATF isn't your friend and they have a heavy hand.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
Lifetime Member
Feb 7, 2009
Houston, TX
I thought that that concept had been overruled or severely limited with the thompson Center case.

However, it seems that one aspect of hte test is howeasily the parts can be assembled into a SBR.

Not that i would advise you do it.

biglucky

Well-Known
TGT Supporter
Feb 3, 2009
Dripping Springs, TX
Are you waiting on paperwork or something? I would still wait, but maybe pay the dealer for the upper and ask them to hold it until you got your paperwork back.

Flight954

Apr 21, 2008
Cypress, TX
If you have to have it right now and even shoot it while waiting for your BATFE approval/stamp, buy a registered pistol lower and everything will be completely legal. I think a RR complete pistol lower is running about $300. BATFE is running at about a 5-6 month wait time. I'll post up a pick of mine tonight

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members