• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    can i buy a 11.5 upper for my ar and not register it and it still be legal as long as its disassembled from the lower ??

TSU45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    The ATF views having all the parts to assemble an unregistered machinegun the same as having one already assembled. SBRs and MGs are both NFA weapons. I wouldn't test the waters.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    There is probably a flash hider or fake suppressor available to bring barrel to legal 16" length but it will have to be pinned and welded on. Of course that defeats the SBR so that only leaves ATF paperwork, a $200 tax stamp and a long wait for their foot dragging.

Like the others have posted, don't take chances, the ATF isn't your friend and they have a heavy hand.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I thought that that concept had been overruled or severely limited with the thompson Center case.

However, it seems that one aspect of hte test is howeasily the parts can be assembled into a SBR.

Not that i would advise you do it.

Flight954

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Cypress, TX
    If you have to have it right now and even shoot it while waiting for your BATFE approval/stamp, buy a registered pistol lower and everything will be completely legal. I think a RR complete pistol lower is running about $300. BATFE is running at about a 5-6 month wait time. I'll post up a pick of mine tonight

Flight954

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Cypress, TX
    Sorry for the post pic delay, I was building the bottom rifle
    AR15Riflebuilds.gif

TSU45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2008
    San Marcos, Tx
    what's the difference between a rifle lower and a pistol lower?

Mechanically nothing.

As far as buying one stripped? Nothing now. My dealer used to ask which I wanted and declare it on the 4473 appropriately. He was instructed by the ATF to now put "receiver" for all of them. You have always been able to build a pistol lower into a rifle regardless if it was used as a pistol before or not. Just can't build a rifle receiver or former pistol built receiver, you then converted to rifle, into a pistol. All the receivers I bought before the ATF change went out the door as pistol recievers. Moot point now.

ETA clarification: Declaring the receiver is now a moot point, not turning a previously built-up rifle receiver into a pistol. You still can't do that.

Rugrash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    Houston, TX
    The ATF views having all the parts to assemble an unregistered machinegun the same as having one already assembled. SBRs and MGs are both NFA weapons. I wouldn't test the waters.

It's called "constructive possession". I personally wouldn't do it until I had that form 1 back from the BATFE.

spence76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    El Paso
    So I have an AR15 now and was considering getting a Rock River .223 pistol. Would ATF consider this have the components to build a SBR, even if they are correctly assembled and 1 is a rifle and 1 is registered as a pistol? This ATF stuff is a huge pain is the ass, would be easier if they would just leave us alone and go after actual criminals.

sharky47

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    As long as you have a legal way to assemble the parts in your possession, your good to go.

I.E. - if you have a short upper and a rifle lower, you better damn well have a pistol or SBR lower as well. If you don't have any lowers, you have have any upper. If you have any interest in having short uppers, build a pistol lower to keep around. Don't waste your money on buying a pistol lower - for some reason, vendors charge a premium for something that is mechanically identical. Buy a stripped lower that HAS NEVER BEEN ASSEMBLED before, and build it like normal except for the buffer tube - just put on of those tubes that will not accept a stock body and shazam!, you have a pistol lower.

Also, a lower that has been assembled into a rifle can never be a pistol - BUT - a lower that has been assembled into a pistol first can be changed back and forth provided you do it in such an order that you never have a unregistered SBR.

You will have to jump through these hoops as long as THE GANG continues to view the 2am as a revocable privilege instead of a right....

Orclin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    What if I buy a disassembled lower from a 3rd party, no FTL paperwork, and have all the other parts (short upper, rifle upper, pistol tube, stock) to build either as I see fit.
    Would that be an issue to the feds?
    Scott

Top Bottom