• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocket_Cowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Plano, TX
    A wealth of info there...thanks!!!

There are many professional shooters over there, so they can be pretty anal on a lot of things (don't ask them about drinking and carrying concealed, or if the DPMS is functionaly as good as a Colt), but they're a no BS kind of group with alot of good info. Me being an AR noob, I just tend to lurk there and soak up the info, but I've seen other noobs who weren't as fortunate.
    Texas SOT

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    I would recommend saving some money on the rifle in order to make sure you can afford ammo and training vs going out and buying too much gun and then never shooting it.

That was kind of my view on the situation... I've found a couple good steals on DPMS ones on Gunbroker and was going to hit up one of those... possibly change the furniture... but definitely add some optics and some rails...

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    wouldnt it be better to build the rifle how you'd like it vs. buying an ar-15 for $$ and still having to spend more $$ customizing it? Thats what the folks at ar15.com said for me to do.

country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    When I recoup money from me repairs and my air compressor Im going to order a rifle kit and replace the a2 hand guards with the older triangle hand guards.

Rocket_Cowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Plano, TX
    wouldnt it be better to build the rifle how you'd like it vs. buying an ar-15 for $$ and still having to spend more $$ customizing it? Thats what the folks at ar15.com said for me to do.

That's what I was tempted to do, but after shopping around for parts, at the time it was cheaper to buy something assembled assuming you could find it with the bulk of what you wanted already on it.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    That's what I was tempted to do, but after shopping around for parts, at the time it was cheaper to buy something assembled assuming you could find it with the bulk of what you wanted already on it.

And that's the case for me... there are only a few things that I am wishing to change on the one that I am looking at picking up and then there is the furniture change purely for aesthetic purposes that might happen later down the road...

tex45acp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    South Central Texas
    When I bought mine it was pretty simple M4 A1, expecially since it was the only one I could find within my price range and my fuel range. I have been smithing handguns for over 25 years and never really knew the AR so the first thing I did was completely strip it down and put it back together. I then decided to start changing it more to my taste. It started out like this:
    BUSHAR15L.gif

and this is the final incarnation:
    SHTFGuns022Lg.jpg

I have since assembled a Rock River Arms Lower for my .22 rimfire dedicated upper and have a super fun and inexpensive rifle to shoot:
    RRAlower001.jpg

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    When I bought mine it was pretty simple M4 A1, expecially since it was the only one I could find within my price range and my fuel range. I have been smithing handguns for over 25 years and never really knew the AR so the first thing I did was completely strip it down and put it back together. I then decided to start changing it more to my taste. It started out like this:
    BUSHAR15L.gif

and this is the final incarnation:
    SHTFGuns022Lg.jpg

I have since assembled a Rock River Arms Lower for my .22 rimfire dedicated upper and have a super fun and inexpensive rifle to shoot:
    RRAlower001.jpg

I like how your modifications turned out. Did you ever think of mounting a tac light on that beauty?

Anbody use their AR as a HD weapon?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    If I had an AR I'd consider it, but I'm an AK man, so I have an AK as a HD weapon.

Carbines and shotguns are great for home defense so long as they match your tactics (or your home layout). If you're like me and aren't going out looking for trouble, but instead plan on sitting back and keeping the family safe while waiting for the police, a rifle or shotgun is better in every single way than a handgun.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea
    If I had an AR I'd consider it, but I'm an AK man, so I have an AK as a HD weapon.

Carbines and shotguns are great for home defense so long as they match your tactics (or your home layout). If you're like me and aren't going out looking for trouble, but instead plan on sitting back and keeping the family safe while waiting for the police, a rifle or shotgun is better in every single way than a handgun.

True absolutely true that a longarm makes a great lay and wait gun...

txman123

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    abilene
    if anyone is still looking for ar15 abilene has a ton right around 1000 rock river, m&p and bushmaster, the academy here even has a springfield m1a second one they had this month

MWells829

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    nice forum guys. It's fun to build, but over the last couple months, prices have made it possible to get a better value to buy it pretty much assessorized to your liking.

Top Bottom