• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Sorry to offend anyone out there who actually appreciates these but I have not had good luck with them. My only experience is with 115gr tournament master FMJ bullets used for reloading my 9mm and 55gr SP and 60gr HP bullets for the .223. They had OALs from .545" to .534"(9mm) and .707"-.732" (.223). They loaded easy enough with fairly consistent diameters but the seating depths were all over the place. Obviously the ogives are consistent but the OALs are terrible. As far as accuracy, I have yet to test the 9mm loads, but the .223 rounds were average or maybe equal to cheap factory stuff. I may be wrong on this one and I haven't given the 9mm rounds a fair run yet. However, if history repeats itself(as it tends to do) I have a feeling the pistol rounds will be no better. I guess this has become a rant more than a discussion but maybe someone out there can back me up or put me in my place. Thanks either way for listenin'/readin' about it ! - Texmex
    DK Firearms

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I've had excellent results with sierra 52 gr in 223, 1/4 to 1/2 inch groups using h322 powder. I have never used their pistol
    bullets.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    You can call Sierra and ask the question, but I've found all bullets are somewhat inconsistent, especially when you're checking OALs after seating. It is pretty hard to get every bullet to be exactly like the one next to it when they come off the line. Even the 168 grain Sierra HPBTs I use in my M1 vary slightly so the OALs vary after seating them, but I've found the same with Nosler, Speer, etc. With HPBTs it's usually because the HP may have a slightly different bump around the HP. With hunting bullets, it's usually because the exposed tip may have a different profile from the one next to it.

RCBS has a seating die, where you can actually see the bullet as it is being seated and it has a micrometer adjustment which allows each round to be exactly the same OAL as the next one. The seating plug in most die sets uses the tip of the bullet to determine how you seat it in the case so any variation there will affect OAL.
    You can check it out at http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=173612

ForneyRider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Forney, TX
    I've had mostly favorable results with Sierra. Last year, the gun range had a mud sale and I bought boxes and boxes of Sierra.

The 200gr SMK was not as accurate as Nosler Accubond 200gr in my brother's 8x57. But the 150gr Pro Hunter was the most accurate in this gun. All loads were basically the same except, of course, amount of Varget and OAL difference from 150gr to the 200gr. I've read the SMK needs to be pushed into the rifle lands, like Berger VLD, to get the best accuracy.

55gr Blitz King were not as accurate as 50gr V-Max loads I made. I recently changed my loads on the 55's to R10x, hoping to get some bullet holes to touch. But 100 degree temps have kept me off the range.

I've read, Sierra and J4 are the only major jacket makers.

If you are shooting match, it is typical to weight sort the bullets as well as brass. Also there are meplat trimmers to get the most of those bullets.

Except for Blitz Kings, the Sierra's are very competitive in price.

Bullseye Shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    If you are shooting match, it is typical to weight sort the bullets as well as brass. Also there are meplat trimmers to get the most of those bullets.

I don't sort bullets for either rifle or pistol. Rifle bullets like the Sierra Matchkings are going to be about as good as it gets. The cast bullets I buy from the Bullet Works vary slightly, but not enough to make a difference during the 50 yard slowfire stage.

Haven't ever seen a meplat trimmer, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Heck, most guys are probably scratching their heads wondering what a meplat is. :-)

ForneyRider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2008
    Forney, TX
    Try some Berger VLD match, or Lapua Scenar. They have a little better accuracy when a comparison of 308 Win bullets were compared. They are more expensive, but are more consistent.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Try out some Hornady AMaxs ... we've had better results from them than the SMKs in a wide range of .308s. The OALs should be more consistent since they are polymer tipped rather than the hollow point.

Some of the OALs on our .308 loads are somewhere between a normal .308 and a .30-06, LOL. We've tried alot of different things.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I still haven't given the 9mm rounds a fair go just yet but I have to agree with texas1911 about the A max bullets. IME the hornady bullets(all types,cals and styles) are more consistent and accurate than any other types I have loaded over almost any powder. Of course I have no hands on experience with high end stuff like berger or swift bullets to really compare the Hornadys to.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    OAL should be consistant unless the seater plug is imparting the force on the ogive rather than the tip. Are you seating/crimping in one operation? If you are doing them in two operations with a nearly compressed load, The difference in case volume/thickness may cause some bullets to be pushed out slightly before the crimp is applied.

In reality, I doubt it will make a great deal of difference as long as they do not excced the max OAL for the magazine. Unless you are a VERY good shooter they will probably be more accurate than you.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    I love Sierra Matchkings in my .308's. I guarantee more paper punchers use Sierra than all other bullets combined. That being said, when working up a load for a new rifle or a friends rifle, the bullet I always start out with is the Nosler Ballistic tip. I have been shooting them since the first day they came out and think they are one of the most consistently accurate bullets out there and you cant beat them as a hunting bullet for varmints and Texas whitetails, etc....Anything bigger, pick up the Nosler Accubonds, just as accurate and they hold together like crazy and put them down.

Top Bottom