• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ag1052

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Can a person carry an expandable baton (like the police carry) in Texas? Just wanted to check if there were any rules I needed to know before I ordered one. Also does anyone have a brand or site they would suggest getting one from? Thanks!
    Venture Surplus ad

ag1052

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    More importantly than if I can carry it, Im more concerned with being able to keep it in my car. Im not sure if that makes any real difference or not but thats what I would be buying it for.

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Expandable Batons would be considered a "Club."

Sec. 46.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:
    (1) "Club" means an instrument that is specially designed, made, or adapted for the purpose of inflicting serious bodily injury or death by striking a person with the instrument, and includes but is not limited to the following:
    (A) blackjack;
    (B) nightstick;
    (C) mace;
    (D) tomahawk.

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
    (1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
    (2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

ag1052

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Thanks Koinonia, please correct me if Im wrong but this means it is illegal to carry it around but is legal to keep it in my car.

Koinonia

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    I'm not a lawyer, but , "Commits an offense... If the person is not (2) inside of a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the persons control."

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Its only illegal to carry if you plan to hit an ice skater on the knee cap.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Thanks Koinonia, please correct me if Im wrong but this means it is illegal to carry it around but is legal to keep it in my car.

It is just like keeping a handgun in your car without a CHL. Legal. The restrictions that apply to unlicensed handgun carry in your car do not carry over to clubs.

May I ask if you have specific and documented training in the use of an expandable baton.

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    TheDan - thank you, good to know. I keep a lacrosse stick handle behind my seat. just as good as a baton, but it is sporting goods.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Legal while lawfully carrying your CHL. Read my experience before you take a dive. Hopefully the laws will change or be acknowledged.

The only thing I left behind in TX that feels incomplete was not being able to go further on this issue.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    FINE!? He was arrested, booked and paid nearly 3 grand in fees. You call that fine?
    It's really unfortunate that he was harassed and lost time and money over something that isn't illegal, but there's no point in living your life in fear of being arrested over charges that you know will be dismissed. If "just arrest him and let the judge figure it out" can happen to someone as calm, cool, and polite as matefrio, then it can happen to anyone.

I do agree with you on "Why carry a stick when you can carry a gun?" That doesn't make much sense to me either, and am also a little curious as to oohrah's needs.

Top Bottom