• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dustycorgill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Garland, Texas
    EPA....pfft. Should be dismantled. Bunch of tree hugging, global warming little bitches. Sorry, just what I think about them. They basically closed my familys Body Shop business of 50 years because of all their stupid ass regulations.

gdouthit

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    BCS

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Nor has a solid copper alloy been used to mint one cent coins since 1982. Today, it is nothing but a zinc alloy with a microscopic coating of copper.

Take a new one cent piece scratch it with a knife, put it in a plastic container and cover with ordinary kitchen vinegar.

Great way to teach your kids how our worthless money dissolves under very little stress. Do the same with a copper coin, and it goes in dull and comes out shiny!

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I believe that in the long term lead will become very difficult to obtain.
    So lead bullets will become much more expensive. Heck ALL bullets will become extremely expensive.
    Its all part of the plan. Make it so prohibitively expensive to shoot many will just give up the hassle.
    Buy now.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I believe that in the long term lead will become very difficult to obtain.
    So lead bullets will become much more expensive. Heck ALL bullets will become extremely expensive.
    Its all part of the plan. Make it so prohibitively expensive to shoot many will just give up the hassle.
    Buy now.

I suppose im looking for information about what is likely to happen. I just looked up the price of lead. Was 20-30 cents per pound in 1990s. From 40-160 per pound in 2000s. Between 80-120 per pound since 2010. If this smelter is closing, is mining being affected or will lead just be sent overseas or Mexico to be refined and brought back in?

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    If lead goes away completely rest assured it will be replaced with another material. Less lead does not mean less bullets, ammo prices have, are, and will continue to increase no matter what they're made of.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Maybe I have too much faith in capitalism, but I am thinking they will come up or already have a viable option in case of an outright ban type event. The fact that the military is converting over says this isn't taking the ammo manufacturer's by surprise.
    Also, the price can only go up so much before the product becomes out of reach of the majority of it's customers and I just don't see them putting themselves out of business due to that.

But looking forward, I would say it would be prudent to by now while prices have pretty much bottomed out and keep a cache of an amount that suits you for a rainy day and not for range/training/hunting use.
    I'm not saying you should go take out a second mortgage and go in debt and raid every WM and Academy, but if you can, take advantage now by buying a little every few days or a few hundred in bulk once a month or two. Designate half of it for the stash and the rest to shoot and in no time you will have a decent cache of ammo just in case times are hard sometime down the road.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Maybe I have too much faith in capitalism, but I am thinking they will come up or already have a viable option in case of an outright ban type event. The fact that the military is converting over says this isn't taking the ammo manufacturer's by surprise.
    Also, the price can only go up so much before the product becomes out of reach of the majority of it's customers and I just don't see them putting themselves out of business due to that.

But looking forward, I would say it would be prudent to by now while prices have pretty much bottomed out and keep a cache of an amount that suits you for a rainy day and not for range/training/hunting use.
    I'm not saying you should go take out a second mortgage and go in debt and raid every WM and Academy, but if you can, take advantage now by buying a little every few days or a few hundred in bulk once a month or two. Designate half of it for the stash and the rest to shoot and in no time you will have a decent cache of ammo just in case times are hard sometime down the road.

Ive been doing that. Ive got a "cant use" ammo can and need to fill a few more.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Ah but don't forget that now there are laws on the books against "armor piercing" or "protective vest piercing" bullets.
    Barnes used to make solid bronze bullets for the big game shooters. Not any more. Yep, Po-Po said they were armor piercing.
    Same-same with solid copper bullets. All it takes is Po-Po to say OMGWTFBBQOVER them things is armor piercing and they get banned.
    Lead is available now and scrap lead will be around for the time being. But lead for major commercial production tonnage will not eventually. So prices are gonna go way up.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Depends on which source you listen to. Some say it's not, some say it is. I'll agree that it's not JUST virgin lead; it's at least a mixture of virgin and recycled.

What I hadn't considered before, is that if virgin lead goes high, recycled lead will too....

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Bullet makers and lead producers say this isn't going to affect anything.

And if you ask the bullet makers themselves, none can be found that use virgin lead. It's all recycled.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Bullet makers and lead producers say this isn't going to affect anything.

And if you ask the bullet makers themselves, none can be found that use virgin lead. It's all recycled.

I'd the sources for virgin lead go away, the price of recycled will skyrocket....

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    All the lead shot I buy already comes from Peru, South America so it's not like importing lead in it's different forms is something new.

Top Bottom