Hurley's Gold

Are rifles & carbines the best type of firearms for home defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Are rifles & carbines the best type of firearms for home defense?

• YES

Votes: 6 20.7%
    • NO

Votes: 23 79.3%

• Total voters

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    The answer, as always, is: "It depends"

Inside someone's house there could be a ton of factors -- you might need a free hand / arm to keep a kid from running into the hallway to grab their favorite toy, and it's much easier to operate a pistol with just one hand / arm.

I personally like having a free hand for some of the defensive tricks we have inside our home, but the scenario doesn't always happen inside.

"Home defense" also encompasses defense against a bunch of blm lunatics who are throwing molotovs or otherwise trying to destroy your property from outside. In that situation, a pistol goes to the back of the bus, and my SBR is the only weapon I want in my hands.
    Capitol Armory ad

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    There is no best.
    ^^^This^^^^
    ...is why I voted "no".
    As someone already mentioned, we have a pump 12 Ga, full of #4 shot. I like it for good odds if it ever had to handle an in-house threat. It's also handy because we live on some land and may have to deal with predators out our front door. We just lost three chickens this last week to what we think may be a coyote and I would love to get a bead on him, whatever he may be.

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    A SMG ?
    It would certainly get the job done, but your SMG would be taking an extended vacation in the police evidence locker, not cool.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    A pistol or PCC will penetrate more than 5.56, and a pistol is inherently harder to shoot under duress.

And practically speaking, the difference between the length of a pistol at full presentation is about equal to that of a shouldered AR15. Of course, you don't need to have your pistol all the way out to shoot it, but the same goes for the AR15

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    A pistol or PCC will penetrate more than 5.56, and a pistol is inherently harder to shoot under duress.

And practically speaking, the difference between the length of a pistol at full presentation is about equal to that of a shouldered AR15. Of course, you don't need to have your pistol all the way out to shoot it, but the same goes for the AR15
    5.56 does not necessarily penetrate as much because it often tumbles. But no guarantee every round tumbles.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    The answer, as always, is: "It depends"

Inside someone's house there could be a ton of factors -- you might need a free hand / arm to keep a kid from running into the hallway to grab their favorite toy, and it's much easier to operate a pistol with just one hand / arm.

I personally like having a free hand for some of the defensive tricks we have inside our home, but the scenario doesn't always happen inside.

"Home defense" also encompasses defense against a bunch of blm lunatics who are throwing molotovs or otherwise trying to destroy your property from outside. In that situation, a pistol goes to the back of the bus, and my SBR is the only weapon I want in my hands.

I agree. There is no "yes" or "no" answer to such a question, because there are too many variable to factor in.

What might be, or is the best option for one person, in their particular circumstances, may be a poor choice for someone else.

I have no close neighbors, so given my location and particular environment, I could get away with using a rifle or carbine. But I still prefer a shotgun, because I think it's the best option, given my specific needs and wants in a firearm for home defense.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Interesting comments everyone as it gave me a few additional things to think about. Personally I have a Beretta 92X Centurion, SIG P226 Elite in .40 S&W, and a semi-auto only MP5 available for my immediate home defense. Although I do have an AR-15 carbine in 5.56mm I do not keep it loaded and ready to go.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    I'd have no problems with a MP5. Killed lots of bad guys in close quarters.

Yes I like my MP5 a lot. Great ergonomics, low recoil, and the iron sights arrangement on it has the best sight picture I have ever used on a firearm as I find it very easy for quick & accurate target acquisition. I just wish it had the ability to hold the bolt open after the last round is fired but other than that I can definitely see why is has been so popular over the years.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    In the two prison comments, why were the shotguns not loaded?
    When I was a bus driver I drove a lot of state prisoner transportation.
    When a C.O. had a gun it was ready to shoot.
    Heavy shotguns, heavy barrels, are a decent impact weapon.

I think I've told this story before but in a house or a football field close quarters is close quarters.

Anyways first day on a work crew away from the prison cleaning brush behind a flood control dam I had an inmate refuse to stop walking up to me. First day test I guess. I told him to stop several times but he refused. He got within arms reach and had a fully earned bought and paid for load of 3 inch 00 buck coming if I wanted to shoot and over watch gunner was about to send a 556 round, instead I muzzle punched him between the eyes with the shotgun. Broke his nose and knocked him to the ground. So theres that which isnt as easy to do with a hand gun.

I racked the shotgun which made the other gunners do the same which made the entire inmate crew hit the dirt.

I never should have let him get that close. Live and learn. Luckily about the live part.

Oh. They, the inmates, were cleaning tumbleweeds and cholla cactus that blew up to the dam. We had to call for medical assistance cause some were really badly coverd, lol.

The inmate, stupid kid, got beat within an inch of his life a couple days later. The other inmates wernt happy cause they liked the money and going out every day. We had to actually lockdown and count every inmate to determine who he was. Someone put the boot to his face and he was unrecognizable. Spent the rest of h iui s sentence in protective custody.

Shotguns are good for butt strokes too.
    Had a buddies Uncle guarding a work crew from horse back. An inmate snuck up on him and pulled him off the horse and took his shotgun. The inmate leveled the shotgun at his head and pulled the trigger. A think of the firing pin landing into a empty chamber was heard (shotgun was carried unloaded). My friends Uncle then pulled his revolver and rearranged the inmates kneecaps.

Top Bottom